More Changes Possible at WNBC News

j.wer

I don't like how Huff is referring to the upcoming channel as a cable channel. You don't need cable to pull in 4.2 or whatever it's going to be. It's a digital channel or digital sub-channel.

One of the negatives here would be the fact that the 7pm show would no longer be in HD.

So if the 5pm expands to an hour, will Sue anchor the entire 5pm, 6pm, and 11pm? It would be nice if they brought in another female to help out in the evening, like Darlene.

On a side note, they could probably add another hour of news at 4pm (move Deal to the 12noon slot) on their regular channel (not the "cable" channel).

This is actually good news. Although NYNN is a great show, it really doesn't add much value to WNBC. An hour long 5pm newscast would fare much better for them ratings wise. Perhaps a return to Live at Five? One problem however, is the set, it's not "fluffy" enough.

Not a bad idea by moving New York Nightly News over to the digital channel. It is a nice concept, but has not been a ratings generator. I don't think, however, that Chuck would like New York Nightly News for an hour, in addition to the 6 and 11pm newscasts. Management is most likely going to want to keep him on Ch. 4 at 6 and 11, so I don't think they will expand NYNN to an hour.

As for the 5pm news, it would be great if they bring back Live at Five and have David Ushery and Sue Simmons anchor it. Now, if Sue is going to stay at 6 with Chuck, they might want to bring in another female to anchor with Ushery. Perhaps Darlene Rodriguez can move to the 5pm newscast and Erika Tarantal can take her spot on TINY. Erika and Michael Gargiulo are great together.

Live at Five would be nice if it returned, I don't know why they canceled it in the beginning. Perhaps they can still utilize the old set for the Live at Five show, unless they have plans of using the set for something else... As for Chuck Scarborough anchoring all of these hours, it is a lot of work, but for someone like him who's been doing it for all of these years, it's probably a walk in the park, lol. Sue will definitely have to leave the 5PM slot if it does return to an hour and perhaps Darlene Rodriguez could anchor like some of you said. We'll have to wait and see, because according to the article the changes did not seem definitive..

Nothing ever seems to work at WNBC. Most NBC O&Os have an hourlong post-Today newscast, but not in New York. They don't have a midday newscast and now this 7pm newscast doesn't seem to have worked out so it sounds like it is being scrapped. I say just put things back like they were with Live at Five beng an hour. I bet this new news channel on 4.4 doesn't pan out either.

As for Chuck Scarborough anchoring all of these hours, it is a lot of work, but for someone like him who's been doing it for all of these years, it's probably a walk in the park, lol. Sue will definitely have to leave the 5PM slot if it does return to an hour and perhaps Darlene Rodriguez could anchor like some of you said.

While I agree that they should have another female co-anchor in the evenings, I am just curious to know why you think it's a "walk in the park" for Chuck to anchor all those hours, but on the other hand Sue will "definately" have to leave the 5pm if it becomes an hour again? How is Chuck different from Sue?

Nothing ever seems to work at WNBC. Most NBC O&Os have an hourlong post-Today newscast, but not in New York. They don't have a midday newscast and now this 7pm newscast doesn't seem to have worked out so it sounds like it is being scrapped. I say just put things back like they were with Live at Five beng an hour. I bet this new news channel on 4.4 doesn't pan out either.

For the record, here are the list of NBC O&Os that do and don't have a post-Today or midday newscast (most don't have one):

do have: KNBC, WRC, WTVJ, WVIT

don't have: WNBC, WMAQ, WCAU, KXAS, KNSD, KNTV

Although i should mention that some of the ones that don't have a mid-day newscast do have a 4pm newscast.

Why would Sue have to leave the 5 PM show if it was expanded to an hour and only anchor 6 and 11? Erinie Anastor co-anchored Channel 2 News at 5, 6 and 11. So if WNBC does expand the 5 news to an hour, she could anchor 5, 6 and 11.

Well if they can shell out more money to the highest paid anchor team, well then be my guess... It's not that they can't anchor the 5, 6, and 11, they are more than capable of doing that. I understand, but the question is, Is it wise for WNBC, to continue to give some of the highest paid anchor teams even more hours? Perhaps they can and should try out some new faces for the 5PM show, that could benefit them for the better or worse, similar to how WCBS has gone up in the ratings with the introduction of Chris and Kristine...

While I agree that they should have another female co-anchor in the evenings, I am just curious to know why you think it's a "walk in the park" for Chuck to anchor all those hours, but on the other hand Sue will "definately" have to leave the 5pm if it becomes an hour again? How is Chuck different from Sue?

Well, not saying that Sue definitely has to leave the 5PM show, I guess I worded it a bit wrong, lol. It was late. But I just think the station should explore some of its other talent. Put some of its new talent up to the game. Maybe they can do some trial and error newscasts, kinda like what WABC did for the Noon show when Steve Bartelstein left in 2007. They had several anchors and reporters fill in until they found Ken Rosato to be the best match with Lori Stokes. Perhaps New York is starting to become exhausted with Chuck and Sue. Don't get me wrong Chuck and Sue are legendary, but leave them for the 6PM and 11PM broadcasts. I'd say put some new faces on for the 5PM show. Remove David Ushery, and put a more relaxed more viewer friendly team on, They need to start exploring themselves and returning to their roots now.

They can start by bringing back Live at Five, so that its different from what WCBS, WNYW and WABC are showing. I'm sure they can use the Today studio for that broadcast, like they did in the 90s. WNBC at this point needs something that works, something innovative, something that makes the viewer want to turn to them. They need to be different from the others and don't get me wrong they are, especially with the 7PM broadcast, but they need something for the 5:00PM slot too is unique, and I think a return of Live at Five with some new faces with a down to earth, less serious, more upbeat personality. A show with that kind of attitude is what is lacking at the 5:00PM slot and I think they should try something like that.

Well if they can shell out more money to the highest paid anchor team, well then be my guess... It's not that they can't anchor the 5, 6, and 11, they are more than capable of doing that. I understand, but the question is, Is it wise for WNBC, to continue to give some of the highest paid anchor teams even more hours? Perhaps they can and should try out some new faces for the 5PM show, that could benefit them for the better or worse, similar to how WCBS has gone up in the ratings with the introduction of Chris and Kristine...

Big money says they are salaried, they would get paid the same if they anchored 1 show or 12. And if they wanted a pay bump that would be an easy way for NBC execs to show the highest paid anchor team the door

Big money says they are salaried, they would get paid the same if they anchored 1 show or 12. And if they wanted a pay bump that would be an easy way for NBC execs to show the highest paid anchor team the door

It's about damned time someone explained the difference between being a salaried employee and an hourly wage employee.

It's about damned time someone explained the difference between being a salaried employee and an hourly wage employee.

Really? Really??

With all sincerity buddy, you should have probably kept that comment to yourself.

Really? Really??

With all sincerity buddy, you should have probably kept that comment to yourself.

When you have people saying that it's going to cost more to make anchors work more shifts, it's an assine comment to make, since these are salaried employees we're talking about. Now if you feel that what I said was directed at you, in all honestly I couldn't care less and you shouldn't either.

• 2 weeks later...

If they used different anchors on the newscasts it would feel like a different show sort of...I don't want to see the same anchors on at 5, 6, and 11. I am amazed at how many stations do that though. Of the choices in New York, I'd be more likely to watch ABC 7 and CBS 2 than what Channel 4 offers.

• 3 weeks later...

Why bother having a Newsroom Content Center as the background for your news cast if you are going to cover it up with hotel style glass walls? :p

This is what they are doing tonight.

Unlike when it was used on the weekend AM news this time it has a blue tint behind it, it just seems so not a #1 market news station backdrop.

65b14828625182.gif

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

They're probably just adjusting the newsroom for Monday, it's not like it's permanent. I agree it doesn't look great, but there probably is a reason for it.

eyetvsnapshot1037.th.jpgeyetvsnapshot1042.th.jpg

I notice that they're using the Plasma as a background now...it looks pretty good.

They're probably just adjusting the newsroom for Monday, it's not like it's permanent. I agree it doesn't look great, but there probably is a reason for it.

eyetvsnapshot1037.th.jpgeyetvsnapshot1042.th.jpg

I notice that they're using the Plasma as a background now...it looks pretty good.

Yes the right picture looks a lot better, its reminiscent of their old set which was a ton of a lot better than this one...

Archived