Now that it's DTV switch is delayed ...

susquvalleywgal

In addition to WEAR, WKRG, WALA/WBPG, WPMI/WJTC, WSRE and WEIQ (and the rest of APT) are making the switch on the 17th in the Mobile-Pensacola area.

It looks like WHBR (Religious programming) has already signed off analog.

WFGX will sign off their weak analog signal and start constructing a digital facility on WEAR's old analog site that can finally reach Mobile...finally giving us MyNetwork TV programming.

No word on what WMPV (TBN) or WPAN (infomercials) will do.

According to the Detroit Free Press,

http://www.freep.com/article/20090211/ENT03/90211020

4 stations in Michigan to end analog next week

WMYD, Detroit

WPXD, Ann Arbor

WBKB-TV,Alpena

WILX-TV,Lansing

The story also says that San Diego will be the largest city to lose analog broadcasts of three networks: CBS, ABC and Fox.

The story also says that San Diego will be the largest city to lose analog broadcasts of three networks: CBS, ABC and Fox.

KFMB-DT has been operating at extremely low power on Channel 7 for almost a year now, and directing much of that limited signal to the south to protect KABC-TV from Mount Wilson. As a result, a vast majority of OTA digital viewers north of Encinitas can't receive KFMB-DT even with an outdoor antenna. The FCC granted KFMB an experimental license to operate the ATSC signal on Channel 7 which expires on February 17, so they were pretty much stuck with the February 17 date when the ATSC signal will switch to full power on Channel 8.

KFMB-DT originally broadcast on Channel 55, but they sold the spectrum to San Diego-based Qualcomm for the development of their MediaFLO mobile TV service.

The FCC has posted two lists of stations dumping analog on the 17th on their website.

Exhibit A has a list of stations that have stopped analog service and those that will stop analog service on the 17th, sorted by DMA (including ones with nightlight service).

Exhibit B lists all stations by DMA and indicates in red which stations have stopped and will stop analog broadcasting on the 17th (as well as nightlight service).

Unless a station has analog transmitter failure, and are not listed to go off on the 17th, they're most likely SOL if they want to stop analog broadcasting on the 17th.

Brian Roche at News 8 @ 5:30 announced that EVERY television station in market #41 will wait til June. Even WGAL. How sad.

-- matt

Well Matt, I just found out that WLYH (CW 15) and WITF (PBS) will be the only stations in Central PA that will be converting to Digital on February 17th, instead of June.

You can find out more right here.

http://yorkdispatch.inyork.com/yd/local/ci_11688700

Well....back to plan B for Pensacola's WEAR and Mobile's WKRG. They will keep analog broadcasts until June.

I can't believe how the FCC has royally screwed up this transition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of "accidental" analog transmitter failures over the next few months.

Think "The Pepsi Syndrome"...

I can't believe how the FCC has royally screwed up this transition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of "accidental" analog transmitter failures over the next few months.

I'm wondering how long it'll be before the lawsuits start flying.

I'm wondering how long it'll be before the lawsuits start flying.

lawsuits for what, ota television is not a law, it is not per-se a right - people have had a long time to prep for this change

Several stations have already made that proverbial change of life. GOOD. Here in FL, no it is not too smart to make the switch during hurricane season. I could see where people may have a bitch at that point. - So the answer is/was to do it now. The greatest catalyst for people to make whatever upgrades they need would be when they don't get to see blah or blah. Better to do it then, then at a point when a storm or tornado may be looming.

In case we don't have enough confusion, the newspapers are lying to us. Or at least Newsday did.

My grandma told me about this over the weekend but I didn't really believe her. She was right.

Last Thursday, Newsday ran a story from The Washington Post headlined "Many to go digital soon"... It claimed that the major NY stations would go all digital tomorrow.

The next day, the paper ran another story that buried the admission that Newsday was incorrect.

Newsday, by the way, is owned by Cablevision.

Newsday-Feb1309.jpg.595cf674d278b1599b83c914b0748d15.jpg

Newsday-Feb1409.jpg.81d1a5426d2d898413868479be2dcb5a.jpg

Jesus Christ! This whole switchover is such a pain for everyone!

It's not a pain for those who have been listening for the past two years. And on top of that, there were multiple solutions to solve this problem. People are acting like they just heard about it last week. If people are this unprepared for something as simple as this, how can people be ready for greater disasters?

In case we don't have enough confusion, the newspapers are lying to us. Or at least Newsday did.

My grandma told me about this over the weekend but I didn't really believe her. She was right.

Last Thursday, Newsday ran a story from The Washington Post headlined "Many to go digital soon"... It claimed that the major NY stations would go all digital tomorrow.

The next day, the paper ran another story that buried the admission that Newsday was incorrect.

Newsday, by the way, is owned by Cablevision.

and Dewey was voted as president according to the print media

Well Matt, I just found out that WLYH (CW 15) and WITF (PBS) will be the only stations in Central PA that will be converting to Digital on February 17th, instead of June.

You can find out more right here.

http://yorkdispatch.inyork.com/yd/local/ci_11688700

I am glad I re-checked this thread because I was going to do an update. Thanks. WITF shut their analog at midnight, and I think that WLYH is waiting til later tonight to do it.

At least it's not all that bad around here.

-- Matt

THE WORLD'S GONNA END!!!!! Oh wait... it's just little old WWLP in Springfield, MA getting ready for their DTV transition tonight at 11:35. A half hour phone-in special featuring 90-year olds in mountain towns complaining about how 22 doesn't care about them anymore at 3:00 p.m and another replacing their 5:30 newscast, DTV PSA's in every commercial break all day long, and a persistent crawl during programming all night long. God they're annoying.

and a persistent crawl during programming all night long. God they're annoying.

KFMB apologized on the air saying that "we have been getting complaints about the crawl interfering your favorite CBS 8 Primetime shows but its mandatory that we have to do it by the FCC."

Archived