WNBC Ditching 5PM News for Entertainment Show

NewsJunkie247

I cant understand why they could not tinker with the 4pm slot so that the 5pm newscast could be better. Soon they will cancel the 6pm newcast because of the foolishness they have at 5pm. By the time you know it, the idiots who are running this place will get out of the news business all together.

This says it all cbs2idiots "Earlier this month, Burns shifted from VP of news and content to VP of content and audience development. She says a search is underway for a person to manage news at WNBC." More clearer it can't be. Burns, not directly though, accepted she is on her way out of WNBC.

Clear yes, but I think what the most clear thing is the WNBC bottom line must be absolutely horrible.

They've ousted arguably the most recognizable sports guy in town, dropped the 5, brought it back, dropped it again. Now they really trying to invent the local news wheel. It's safe to say the glory days of WNBC are long gone.

I guess the rumors are now uncovered... :awesome: Truly shameful for WNBC, with a move like this, I highly doubt they'll ever recover, they'll probably sink even lower...

I think the new show will most definitely fail (An idea: They probably would be better off simulcasting MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews). I see this situation only as a hiatus for WNBC 5pm news. It will be back soon enough. I just hate how people at NBC/WNBC think they have the power to change viewers' habits. All that BS about the content center and NY Nonstop makes me sick and certainly has forced viewers to switch channels. it shocks me how low WNBC has fallen these past couple of years.

Hardball? No one even watches that alcoholic. MSNBC shouldn't taint NBC, unless they want to come in 5th in a 4 man race. Rachel the yodeller or the guy who still lives with his mother or Keith the sports guy something, wouldn't cut it either.

Could this be end of Chuck and Sue? Speaking of yodellers. :awesome:

What's going on at WNBC? Is it the water? First they lose Len Berman, now this? Come on! You guys used to be such a great station! What happened? Are you trying to lose viewers? People want news, not celebrity fluff. There are things more important than entertainment. That's what Access Hollywood, ET, etc, are for. They're already in a ratings hole. For crying out loud, stop digging! I just hope that WNBC doesn't get rid of Chuck, Sue, and Janice. I know that won't happen, but with the way things are going at WNBC, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Let's just hope that it doesn't.

They're quickly becoming the WCBS of the late 90s/early 2000s.

I agree with previous posts saying they should bring back the original Live At Five format with some news headlines and celebrity interviews and features. That could have even potentially been a good option for the failed 7pm newscast.

You almost wonder if the 5pm slot for WNBC has been a money eater so now they're just throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks. It's clear they are trying to stay ahead of the curve of changing viewer habits but at the same time seem to be missing the mark.

One hopes they find some stability soon or the whole product will continue to suffer (even more).

I was watching WNBC and Jeffrey Lyons. just got a video clip send off as today was his last day at WNBC.

Jeffrey said there are talks with to continue Reel Talk but I'm guessing it may not be with NBC.

Sue just said after they went to break Jeffrey got a standing ovation from the news room.

I checked the news papers and found this,

Ch. 4 axes 'Reel Talk' host Jeffrey Lyons.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/05/29/2009-05-29_ch_4_axes_reel_talk_host_lyons.html

His syndicated series, "Reel Talk," has been canceled and he's leaving the station next month after the last edition airs.

Lyons, 64, said he's not angry and vows to be back somewhere, soon.

"I can't be bitter," he told the Daily News Thursday night. "I have a wonderful job and I'm determined to do it elsewhere."

Archived