www.nbcphiladelphia.com&others..

WBREEYEWITNESSNEWS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. I didn't think it could get worse...

Seriously, I was a fan of the previous site logos because of their simplicity, and the sites weren't too bad, except for the almost non-existant video. Now it looks like more of a joke of a site, and the Twitter/Facebook-esque status update under the logo... WTF? "Miami is sad about releasing rescued dolphins..." http://www.nbcmiami.com/

Holy crap. I seriously didn't think they'd ditch that horrible, ugly Locals Only design that made it impossible to find anything. For that alone, NBC gets kudos.

But I didn't think NBC - NBC! - would do something this forward thinking and innovative. This is hands down the single best local news website design I've seen. It's clean. It loads extremely fast. Navigation is clear and consistent throughout each and every single page of the site. Advertising is not intrusive.

Now, I'm not a fan of the bizarre new logo design. Nor am I a fan of the facebook status updates that are now placed below (i.e., NBC Philadelphia is sad about Jim Johnson's death, NBC New York is furious about Michael Jackson's father). And it still is more of a local lifestyle website, and less a local news website, even though it's much easier to separate the news from the fluff. Still, the logo and status updates are minor quibbles in an otherwise perfect package. They still need to work on the tone.

Every other station group should be looking at this as a template.

This is how a local news website should look in 2009.

Wow, the stupidest update of a website...ever. The only good thing is that you can actually rate the news team bios, therefore I will be clicking on the laughing selection for all. NBC [st]must be[/st] is pretty stupid. I only give a few days before they start tweaking it.

But I didn't think NBC - NBC! - would do something this forward thinking and innovative. This is hands down the single best local news website design I've seen. It's clean. It loads extremely fast. Navigation is clear and consistent throughout each and every single page of the site. Advertising is not intrusive.

Yeah, nevermind the fact that there are TWO pieces of actual news on the front page.

Yeah, nevermind the fact that there are TWO pieces of actual news on the front page.

Totally agree with you. There is actually less local news on nbcla.com than with the previous website. Why do they bother promoting nbcla.com on their newscasts it there is hardly any news or video on the site?

That's why for news I go to abc7.com.

Wow. I'm not sure if these sites qualify as news sites anymore. More like entertainment/news/general interest sites.

The websites for the ABC, Fox and CBS O&Os are ALL better as news sites than this.

Here's an idea: Have the O&O stations partner with MSNBC.com to create local news sites a la ESPNChicago.com. A Philly-focused nbcphiladelphia.com powered by MSNBC.com would, I'd think, do MUCH better than the current entertainment/lifestyle site.

I actually don't mind it. I'm happy Locals Only is gone...it was a pain to navigate. This is so much simpler. It's still light on news content, but it's an improvement over the previous site. They're aiming to create more of a lifestyle portal. It would be great if they focused more on news, but I don't see how the news content is any less then the previous site. Regarding the logo...I don't see what the big deal is. Just because it's in an Avant-Garde font doesn't mean it's terrible, it fits with the site. I've seen crazier logos than this.

I think the smaller bar shown here is better than the homepage one:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/station/#tvg

Holy crap. I seriously didn't think they'd ditch that horrible, ugly Locals Only design that made it impossible to find anything. For that alone, NBC gets kudos.

Now, I'm not a fan of the bizarre new logo design. Nor am I a fan of the facebook status updates that are now placed below (i.e., NBC Philadelphia is sad about Jim Johnson's death, NBC New York is furious about Michael Jackson's father). And it still is more of a local lifestyle website, and less a local news website, even though it's much easier to separate the news from the fluff. Still, the logo and status updates are minor quibbles in an otherwise perfect package. They still need to work on the tone.

Every other station group should be looking at this as a template.

This is how a local news website should look in 2009.

I can't really add to this. You're right.

The C looks like pac-man.

That's the first thing that came to my mind as I looked at NBC Connecticut's web site: http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/

Whoever picked the font for the heading must still be living in the 80s era. It's UGLY and doesn't belong on a news website. I miss the iPhone like scrolling headlines. The pictures are too big and the story text on the left is too small.

The thing is, it's not a news website.

I agree with you on that point. It is a nice "Lifestyles" website.

My only problem with the site is that they need to get rid of the "NEWS" tab on the site if the NBC O&O's don't care about covering local news on their nbc__________.com sites.

I guess the next step will be getting rid of the all newscasts and just replacing them with lifestyles programs with 5 minutes of news breaks. Maybe Brian Williams can anchor the NBC Nightly news with Nancy O'Dell. :-)

Archived