2009-10 DMA Rankings

Ntropolis

Moving this from the Shoutbox to the forum... and so I can keep the link handy to update the HD news list:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2009-2010-dma-ranks.pdf

Biggest movers:

Waco/Bryan, TX +5 to 89

Bend, OR +3 to 189

Biggest loser:

Wichita Falls, TX -4 to 149

Everybody else either didn't move at all, or changed 1 or 2 spots.

I always found it interesting that Nielsen does not count military members who live on a post or base in a given DMA as part of that DMA. I know that would give a huge boost to some markets, like Norfolk, VA and Columbus, GA just to name a couple.

I always found it interesting that Nielsen does not count military members who live on a post or base in a given DMA as part of that DMA. I know that would give a huge boost to some markets, like Norfolk, VA and Columbus, GA just to name a couple.

I didn't realize that. Including military instillations would have a huge impact in Colorado Springs-Pueblo as well.

San Diego is a huge military town, if all the men and women would be counted in, then it would move up the market up a few notches since we have Miramar/Camp Pendleton/North Island. At the very least though, we're stuck in market 28.

Charleston has gone up to the 97th market, pretty good, over some markets like El Paso and the Quad Cities.

In the late 1990s, Charleston was all the way down at 120, but one year, they jumped like 16 spots suddenly, and then they dropped a couple. Syracuse in the mid 1990s was the 69th market, and back in the late 1980s, West Palm was only like the 52nd market (now 38).

You will continue to see sunbelt markets grow, especially popular retirement areas and areas where manufacturing jobs move, at the expense of north and northeastern markets. At some point in the early 80s, Cleveland was still a top-10 market as was Detroit.

The only northern markets that will not see much in the way of fluctuations are the megalopolis markets (NY, Philly, Boston, DC) and Chicago as the population density is to firmly entrenched.

I would say the top-10 is pretty much set for the forseeable future.

San Diego is a huge military town' date=' if all the men and women would be counted in, then it would move up the market up a few notches since we have Miramar/Camp Pendleton/North Island. At the very least though, we're stuck in market 28.[/quote']

i still remember when we were Market 26.

radio still hasnt changed. i believe were market 17 in radio

• 2 weeks later...

Another interesting tidbit that makes NBC-Universal look very stupid when it came to the picking and choosing of the "lower market stations" to sale back 2006. Apparently, Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville is now ranked higher than San Diego and Hartford, so WNCN should have been kept and they should have sold WVIT instead for sure. I always knew Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville is a rapidly growing market that would eventually surpass even San Diego (which is just San Diego County) and Hartford DMAs. They didn't calculate that about the market rankings.

WRAL is a powerhouse, and WTVD is a strong second. WVIT and KNSD are probably more profitable than WNCN.

True, KNSD is pretty cheaply run and they rake in the most profit every year despite all the cutbacks. Which is probably the reason why NBC hasn't sold the station.

WRAL is a powerhouse, and WTVD is a strong second. WVIT and KNSD are probably more profitable than WNCN.

True, but I doubt WVIT is more profitable than WNCN because like "NBC Connecticut" hasn't exactly been the #1 station in Hartford in years either.

True, but I doubt WVIT is more profitable than WNCN because like "NBC Connecticut" hasn't exactly been the #1 station in Hartford in years either.

Keep in mind that WVIT signed on in 1953 and has been an NBC affiliate since it's inception, while WNCN was an independent station until 1995. It's kinda like WNCN is RDU's WGCL.

Archived