KNBC Moving to Former Conan O'Brien Tonight Show studio & offices

CalItalian2

According to Variety

Plan will now separate KNBC and Telemundo's KVEA, which previously operated as a duopoly but will now be segregated. That's because NBC U is also currently shopping for a new facility that would consolidate KVEA, Telemundo network news, the network's sales department and its spinoff channel Mun 2 all under one roof. Those divisions are currently scattered across Burbank, Glendale and Universal's City Walk.

A Telemundo spokesperson said NBC U is looking at several locations for the new Telemundo operation, which it then hopes to move into by the end of 2011.

Read more: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118024255.html?categoryId=14&cs=1#ixzz0zkeXltS7

Visit Variety.com to become a Variety subscriber.

So, the article states that it's a two story set with plenty of square footage. What could they possibly do with that space? Could it include keeping the backdrop from Conan?

They tore down that set the week after the show was finished. And with the way NBC purged every mention of Conan from anything they own, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that set was thrown out or dumped in the ocean to make a reef.

I'm going to guess here, but it's probably going to be a Clickspring set since NBC has been using them for everything news related lately. Though we have until 2012, so there's just enough time for lightboxes and metal to go out of style.

They tore down that set the week after the show was finished. And with the way NBC purged every mention of Conan from anything they own, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that set was thrown out or dumped in the ocean to make a reef.

I heard Conan's production ended up with a few large trailer fulls of stuff, props, set pieces, etc. from their show, including the large LA backdrop from what I heard.. Much of it too was stuff they actually hauled to LA from their old Late Night show in NY. How much of it Conan can actually use on his new show is unknown; however, since NBC was just going to throw whatever they didn't take into a dumpster, they figured they would save some dumpster money and take almost all of it. Some of it was actually used when Conan went on his tour of shows earlier this year.

The set was stripped of all reusable equipment by NBC (alot of new cables/wiring, lights, the wall sconce lights in the band area, the door hardware from the large side doors, and even those stainless steel exit signs) but the main structure of the set (pretty much what you see in those photos) was smashed up and thrown into dumpsters.

Last I heard, the audience seating area (including chairs) still remained in the studio figuring they were going to use the studio for taping pilots or game shows.. That studio could easily be divided into 2 different studios. The way the building is set up, they could easily put some sort of "street-side" studio there for their morning news. It would be more of a tourist stop than regular LA people walking around though..

The move of KNBC to this building isn't about getting KNBC/NBC News a new "state of the art" home.. It's about Jeff just trying to fix his image again. Alot of eyes (investment-wise) have been kept on that studio ever since Conan got the boot. He spent alot of money to get that studio rebuilt and each month that studio sits vacant makes more people question his abilities to run a company and just plain makes him look even worse (eventhough, I don't know how much lower he could go.. lol). NBC's last couple attempts to get a show into that building failed. One of them decided to go to a different city and the other determined the studio was too small. NBC FINALLY figured since they did plan on eventually moving KNBC anyways, why not do it now into a space they already own since they originally scrapped those plans for this $50 million studio?

The move of KNBC to this building isn't about getting KNBC/NBC News a new "state of the art" home.. It's about Jeff just trying to fix his image again. Alot of eyes (investment-wise) have been kept on that studio ever since Conan got the boot. He spent alot of money to get that studio rebuilt and each month that studio sits vacant makes more people question his abilities to run a company and just plain makes him look even worse (eventhough, I don't know how much lower he could go.. lol). NBC's last couple attempts to get a show into that building failed. One of them decided to go to a different city and the other determined the studio was too small. NBC FINALLY figured since they did plan on eventually moving KNBC anyways, why not do it now into a space they already own since they originally scrapped those plans for this $50 million studio?

What were the 2 shows?

What were the 2 shows?

I wasn't told the names of the shows. All I heard was a talk show decided the studio "didn't fit their studio space needs" and the other was a game show that for some contractual reasons had to move to a different city. The only game show I can think of with that sort of situation is Family Feud which went out to Orlando because Steve Harvey didn't want to fly out to LA for tapings since he has his radio show obligations in Atlanta.

I've been to that studio twice and it's too small to be made into two different ones. As for the street-side studio idea, it would be impossible because the relatively new building is behind the Universal Studios gates and would require demolishing part of the back lot and somehow removing a Bank of America in the adjacent lot. Good luck NBC U...

I've been to that studio twice and it's too small to be made into two different ones. As for the street-side studio idea' date=' it would be impossible because the relatively new building is behind the Universal Studios gates and would require demolishing part of the back lot and somehow removing a Bank of America in the adjacent lot. Good luck NBC U...[/quote']

The complete studio space is double the size than most TV news studios I've seen out there in large markets. You gotta take into account the building is going to get an almost complete overhaul again and alot of interior structure of a part of the building is going to get gutted.

The building alone is going to be a $20-$30 million minimum project just getting it so it can be used for KNBC/NBC News purposes. The audience seating area is actually built into the structure of the building unlike most studios where it's just wood/metal platforms built inside the studio itself. If you removed that audience seating, you're going to see a stair step slanted concrete floor that KNBC has no purpose for, so that (along with the few rooms, closets, and bathrooms underneath) so all that would most likely get demolished to fully increase studio space.

There is plenty of outdoor space to do something "street-side". When I said street-side, I didn't literally mean a busy street with cars going by. It could be plaza-style (similar to WMAQ) where people/tourists already in the gates could walk up to or just used as outdoor scenery since it's a pretty nice lot there. There's alot to work with there to suit what they want to do.

It's not going to be a cheap move. The building as it is isn't set up for a new operation so ALOT of money is going to be put into redoing and reconfiguring the whole joint again. Alot of people said that it may have just made more sense to reconfigure out Universal spaces or even build brand new from scratch. Like I said and alot of people inside know, this was just a Zucker last attempt to put something in there to try to fix himself and "try" to keep his job.

If you removed that audience seating, you're going to see a stair step slanted concrete floor that KNBC has no purpose for, so that (along with the few rooms, closets, and bathrooms underneath) so all that would most likely get demolished to fully increase studio space.

Maybe as one last hurrah Zucker can pioneer a new news format, featuring a live studio audience!

Maybe as one last hurrah Zucker can pioneer a new news format, featuring a live studio audience!

That may not be such a bad idea.. Since NBC Universal already produces/distributes some of daytime's highest rated daytime hits such as Jerry Springer, Steve Wilkos, and Maury.. They'll bring you "THE CHANNEL 4 NEWS". An audience that chants "NEWS! NEWS! NEWS!" in the opening, newsmaker interviews with lie detector tests, and I'm sure they can work paternity tests into the news somehow. Alycia Lane doing the news in a Bikini.. It may just be a format for success.

That may not be such a bad idea.. Since NBC Universal already produces/distributes some of daytime's highest rated daytime hits such as Jerry Springer, Steve Wilkos, and Maury.. They'll bring you "THE CHANNEL 4 NEWS". An audience that chants "NEWS! NEWS! NEWS!" in the opening, newsmaker interviews with lie detector tests, and I'm sure they can work paternity tests into the news somehow. Alycia Lane doing the news in a Bikini.. It may just be a format for success.

:ack: Ain't that hilarious for a news format, but hey, we all can dream, can we?

If I'm not mistaken, the address of both KNBC and the LA NBC Studios currently is 3000 W. Alameda Ave. So if they move, what will the new address be and what will be the fate of the studios at Alameda?

I believe 3000 W. Alameda Ave. is the address of the whole complex. If you were writing to them or sending something there, you would have to have a specific name, department, or show you would be mailing to at that place. If you want to know what KNBC's new address would be, just go look up what Conan's Tonight Show address was. I'm sure they'll keep the same address when KNBC moves in..

The old studios in Burbank will most likely remain vacant.. The current owners of the place is probably just waiting for everyone to move out so they could demolish the place and make the property into something more profitable. At the end, the only thing that will probably be remaining there is Jay Leno's Tonight Show.

There is plenty of outdoor space to do something "street-side". When I said street-side, I didn't literally mean a busy street with cars going by. It could be plaza-style (similar to WMAQ) where people/tourists already in the gates could walk up to or just used as outdoor scenery since it's a pretty nice lot there. There's alot to work with there to suit what they want to do.

Nah, not possible.

The Tonight Show studio was behind the Universal Studios gates, not the Universal Studios Hollywood gates. (One's a movie studio that's not open to the public, and the other one is a theme park that is open to whoever's a big enough sucker to pay upwards of $50 to get in.) When I went to see Conan there last summer, we were corralled into this holding pen off Lankershim Boulevard for about 45 minutes before the show, and then told to walk in a single-file line into the main gate, across James Stewart Avenue (lined with 18-wheeler trailers, etc.) and into the studio. Remember this is an active movie studio complex, and all the free space around there is taken up by well-used parking lots and streets to get from soundstage to soundstage.

Sorry guys, there will be no public access to this place. If you want to see a TV station with a "plaza," go hang out with the bums in front of KNSD.

If I'm not mistaken, the address of both KNBC and the LA NBC Studios currently is 3000 W. Alameda Ave. So if they move, what will the new address be and what will be the fate of the studios at Alameda?

Last I heard they were supposed to be sold. Of course, at that time, they planned on having all the productions moved out of it and to Universal by 2011. The Tonight Show with Conan was supposed to start that process.

I'm guessing we'll eventually hear plans to (once again) move the Tonight Show to Universal, of course it will be on a different stage (Another example of NBC thinking ahead; they could have used Stage 1 for the Tonight Show again and just built the new KNBC/NBC News building like planned).

Archived