"Big Changes" coming soon at whatever they're calling WMAQ

24994J

The Sun-Times website reports that WMAQ-TV, channel 5 is going to get a makeover within the next few months. The article states that it all started with the O&O website, new promos and the Nonstop sub-channel, but will reach nearly all aspects of the money-maker, NBC5 News. Whatever they're going to do, I'd assume that a (long-overdue) complete overhaul of the graphics is in the works. A few questions, though. Would they adopt the O&O look (like KNBC), a variant of (like WNBC), or possibly introduce something totally new (perhaps the leading the way with a new nationwide standard). Also, will a "5" have any part in this new look, or will NBC Chicago be the new name of the game?

http://www.tvnewsinsider.com/10403

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Sun-Times website reports that WMAQ-TV, channel 5 is going to get a makeover within the next few months. The article states that it all started with the O&O website, new promos and the Nonstop sub-channel, but will reach nearly all aspects of the money-maker, NBC5 News. Whatever they're going to do, I'd assume that a (long-overdue) complete overhaul of the graphics is in the works. A few questions, though. Would they adopt the O&O look (like KNBC), a variant of (like WNBC), or possibly introduce something totally new (perhaps the leading the way with a new nationwide standard). Also, will a "5" have any part in this new look, or will NBC Chicago be the new name of the game?

http://www.tvnewsinsider.com/10403

It's already been floating around their newsroom for a while. It's supposedly a completely new image/graphics package. Supposedly, The 5 isn't going to have any part of the new image at all. Not even the name "NBC Chicago". The station is supposedly just going to be referred to as only "NBC". I think the only part of the new image that would have "Chicago" in the title is the newscast title "NBC Chicago News @ #"; however, some have heard that isn't even going have any local identity anymore so the newscast title may even just be "NBC News @ #".. Who knows.

Their damn set needs an upgrade too. All the mismatched Chicago Scenic chunks along with the TV's they picked up from Wal-Mart or Target just don't look so great.

I forgot to mention.. WMAQ's new image will most likely fail miserably.

It's already been floating around their newsroom for a while. It's supposedly a completely new image/graphics package. Supposedly, The 5 isn't going to have any part of the new image at all. Not even the name "NBC Chicago". The station is supposedly just going to be referred to as only "NBC". I think the only part of the new image that would have "Chicago" in the title is the newscast title "NBC Chicago News @ #"; however, some have heard that isn't even going have any local identity anymore so the newscast title may even just be "NBC News @ #".. Who knows.

Their damn set needs an upgrade too. All the mismatched Chicago Scenic chunks along with the TV's they picked up from Wal-Mart or Target just don't look so great.

I forgot to mention.. WMAQ's new image will most likely fail miserably.

So, we're talking a la CTV Canada? Wow, I don't think that'll go over well at all..... who knows?

After taking some time to think about this, the whole plan may have a chance to succeed if they take a page from the national news division of NBC and, dare I say, keeps it classy! If they instead try and make it an extension of the Nonstop channel ("hip" and "contemporary"), they will be screwed and might as well start boarding up the windows right now. Every station in Chicago needs to keep an eye on this, because this could either propel them to (or near, anyway) first place, or it can send them lower in the ratings than WFLD...well, I guess that would be a pretty significant accomplishment!

I'm also still uneasy about dropping the 5 from the branding. All the other stations, even WFLD at times, still embrace their channel number. Why? Because the public still does. Very few people say "I always watch ABC7" or "CBS2 News is pretty good", it's nearly always "You should've seen that story on channel 9". Chicagoans will still call it channel 5, so the station should do the same...but now I'm just rambling. Sorry!

So, we're talking a la CTV Canada? Wow, I don't think that'll go over well at all..... who knows?

I don't think there'd be any negative effects for WMAQ to go this route. "I saw it on channel 5" doesn't really work when talking about viewing it on the internet, which is what NBC seems to be concerned about lately. Going with "NBC Chicago" would reinforce their website brand while at the same time unifying their broadcast and website.

I don't think there'd be any negative effects for WMAQ to go this route. "I saw it on channel 5" doesn't really work when talking about viewing it on the internet, which is what NBC seems to be concerned about lately. Going with "NBC Chicago" would reinforce their website brand while at the same time unifying their broadcast and website.

That seems to be the route they're going.. All their new promos for any programming (local, syndicated, etc.) are saying "NBC". Not "NBC 5", Not "NBC Chicago", just "NBC"..

However, the newscast appears to be heading towards "NBC Chicago News". The past few days, it's been a mix of anchors and reporters saying "NBC 5 News" (current), "NBC Chicago News", "NBC Chicago News Today" (morning), and "NBC Chicago Today" (morning).

The word I'm getting is EVERYTHING is going to change.. A quote that I was told was "Everything old is going away". I'm guessing the sets, music, graphics, voiceover, etc. are all going to be changed which is long overdue. The feeling I'm getting is they're going for something more modern or "hip". This really could get interesting.

The feeling I'm getting is they're going for something more modern or "hip". This really could get interesting.

This could be a little concerning. I don't think Chicago does "hip" very well in the news. Undoubtedly, NBC 5 needs a makeover.

This could be a little concerning. I don't think Chicago does "hip" very well in the news. Undoubtedly, NBC 5 needs a makeover.

Who knows at this point.. How many years ago did Chicago try "hip" in the news? The Chicago news viewer is changing. Those "flashy"/"tabloid style" formats that didn't work in the '90s would much more likely work in today's world. What worked for many years isn't working anymore. The past couple years, ABC 7 hasn't shown any ratings growth (even though they're still #1 for the time being) and NBC 5 has been losing viewers fast.. Both stations have finally opened their eyes to the situation now and have to do something.

But what you see happening to NBC 5 in Chicago, you can expect to see happening to the other NBC O&O's.. It's partially management having to do something but it's also big part the new stuff corporate wants rolled out at their O&O's..

I think they may be starting the studio renovations; they've been broadcasting from the Tower all week, no Studio 5. If this is the case, then let the games begin!

Pretty sure I saw them in Studio 5 on Monday for the AM news...

I really don't like the idea of just calling the local content "NBC." IMO' date=' "NBC" should be reserved for the network stuff while all local content should be branded either "NBC Chicago" or "NBC 5."[/quote']

here in Brazil, owned-and-operated stations usually brand as the network, at most they are called "Globo São Paulo" or "SBT Pará". also, they rarely use the channel numbers in their branding (non-network owned stations are branded with heritage names, the name of their sister newspaper or something like that. for example, TV Liberal, the Globo affiliate for Belém do Pará, is sister to local paper "O Liberal") and callsigns are never used in their branding (that makes sense, since ZYD850 – the calls to Globo São Paulo, channel 5 – isn't a very memorable callsign).

Pretty sure I saw them in Studio 5 on Monday for the AM news...

They were in Studio 5 on Monday. They were in the newsroom starting Tuesday. They mentioned on air the reason why they weren't in Studio 5 was because "computer problems" which they said they weren't sure if they were going to be back in Studio 5 on Wednesday or not.

However, during their annual coat drive in/outside of Studio 5 (which they just used a live cam for), the studio did look kind of taken apart and they did try to avoid shots of the studio itself..

• 3 weeks later...

As time goes on, WMAQ is presumably going to begin making more noticable changes on and off the broadcasts; so I, as a regular viewer, will keep track of the transition on this page. If anyone else notices things that are not already mentioned, please contribute...

-I'll start with the many holiday promos, which just wrapped up airing. They featured most of the core weekday talent (no sports anchor that I noticed), giving their holiday wishes from "NBC Chicago".

-I just noticed a really minor change tonight; the NBC5 logo on the front of the Tower desk has been replaced with a blue NBC peacock. Like I said, this isn't a big change, but it does suggest that the set(s) will remain perhaps until after the rebranding. How long? Who knows...

Archived