New Look and Logo for WCAU?

WCAUTVNBC10

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Thompson at WNBC was wearing a coat that had the new NBC 4 New York's logo on it like this one:

NUP_143759_0013.JPG

The ads that debuted around the city a few weeks ago use this logo as well but the previous campaign didn't have the "4"... I guess there was a change of heart somewhere along the way.

The ads that debuted around the city a few weeks ago use this logo as well but the previous campaign didn't have the "4"... I guess there was a change of heart somewhere along the way.

I'm honestly getting the feeling that's the case and that's why they delayed the graphics...

Somebody has to say something, and it's going to be me. I don't like it, they're replacing the logos with new ones, and at home turf KXAS is soon replacing the long-time star 5 with NBC DFW. I'm sorry but I just don't like it one bit.

Maybe we're getting closer. Philly Nonstop is now posting the topicals for the 7PM newscast on their Facebook page and just yesterday they started using what appears to be the open they will use when the new graphics debut. It also reflects a branding change for the 7PM news. Instead of being NBC 10 News at 7PM it looks like it's going to be called Nonstop News at 7PM:

[fb]574074094282[/fb]

That open looks 10 times better than one being used in San Diego.

Maybe we're getting closer. Philly Nonstop is now posting the topicals for the 7PM newscast on their Facebook page and just yesterday they started using what appears to be the open they will use when the new graphics debut. It also reflects a branding change for the 7PM news. Instead of being NBC 10 News at 7PM it looks like it's going to be called Nonstop News at 7PM:

[fb]574074094282[/fb]

That open looks 10 times better than one being used in San Diego.

I like the cut they're using. Just recently, WWBT here in Richmond use it to close their newscasts.

San Diego is the one market that already switched to the new look and branding, so it doesn't mean anything.

Oh, I'm sorry. For some reason I thought KNSD was somewhere else in California, which is pretty stupid considering the last two letters of its callsign.

I'm going to go ahead and speculate (and I know this has basically already been said before) that at this point it seems that something has really gotten in the way of rolling out the new branding, and either they're delaying because something unexpected happened, or they are majorly changing some aspect(s) of the plan (maybe the management change has something to do with it too).

Maybe KNSD was the test subject of the new look to see how they can implement the look at other stations. From what it has seemed, most of the stations are only using the look for their nonstop digital subchannel. Frankly, I think most stations are kinda shying away at the moment from fully rolling out the look for their newscasts due to local identity issues. But with this, they need to fix the consistency issues with branding to make sure everyone is on the same sheet of music. Either that or let the stations start branding themselves individually and let them take charge.

And to add more fuel to the fire WCAU updated the duratran on their set and from what little I saw of it (they are really trying to keep it off camera) it looks a lot like their news van wrap with the skyline and glass peacock outline. Looks like tomorrow might actually be it.

I know it's hard to see in this shot thanks to the OTS and the fact that this was taken from an SD feed but here it goes:

dura.jpg.a0c2e837b63daf3fff22b2a51f3af422.jpg

Looks like they'll be testing out their new graphics with their Obama coverage at 2:

208239_194006627301278_165519903483284_401850_7616123_n.jpg

Or maybe they're just using the new package for that promo image. Or maybe all NBC Philadelphia Nonstop promos have always looked like that, and I had no idea. Who knows.

In any case, it does seem that things are once again ramping up for the news/on-air branding revamp... Maybe NBC/Comcast isn't holding WCAU back as much because they were already planning to keep the channel number in the name. In any case, even if they do decide to make changes, they can make them after the debut the new stuff, since I doubt that they are going to decide to completely go back to Look C or completely retain the old logos/names.

Looks like they'll be testing out their new graphics with their Obama coverage at 2: 208239_194006627301278_165519903483284_401850_7616123_n.jpg

Or maybe they're just using the new package for that promo image. Or maybe all NBC Philadelphia Nonstop promos have always looked like that, and I had no idea. Who knows.

In any case, it does seem that things are once again ramping up for the news/on-air branding revamp... Maybe NBC/Comcast isn't holding WCAU back as much because they were already planning to keep the channel number in the name. In any case, even if they do decide to make changes, they can make them after the debut the new stuff, since I doubt that they are going to decide to completely go back to Look C or completely retain the old logos/names.

That is the Nonstop version of the new look which WCAU has never used promote anything on the channel. They usually use the channel's ID package when promoting the channel's programming.

• 3 weeks later...

New promo for the 7PM debuted today with what looks like part of the new open. At this point all signs point to WCAU launching the new look and logo in May which incidentally starts Sunday:

[yt]HAcY8hgQZyU[/yt]

Archived