New Look and Logo for WCAU?

WCAUTVNBC10

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although not relevant to the whole issue, When NBC 10 Philadelphia's Graphics debut. What does this mean for (my)phl 17, would they get all new graphics(distancing themselves from the new look) or a variant of the new NBC 10 graphics

Although relevant to the whole issue, When NBC 10 Philadelphia's Graphics debut. What does this mean for (my)phl 17, would they get all new graphics(distancing themselves from the new look) or a variant of the new NBC 10 graphics

Probably some sort of variant of the new NBC O&O graphics. From what we've seen of KNSD it likely isn't going to be THAT hard to switch out the NBC logos for PHL17 ones.

Perhaps the bigger question is whether there will be an NBC 10 newscast on PHL17 for much longer. If you watch NBC 10, you'd have literally no idea that a 10pm news on 17 exists - yet you see them hype the hell out of Nonstop and the 7pm news. I know it's a different situation than Nonstop or the 3/57 duopoly (where 57's newscasts are clearly promoted on 3), but it says something that they pretend it doesn't exist.

Honestly I think it's probably a matter of time before 10 stops producing 17's newscast and starts doing something on Nonstop, but that's just me.

I... have absolutely no idea when this new look will be rolling out. It may be tomorrow, it may be next week, it may be 2012. Who knows at this point. :p

(I'm getting sick of setting the damn Tivo every monday, that's for damn sure.)

You'd think that KNSD's launch would set the ball rolling on the other stations. It is getting quite annoying waiting (WMAQ is arguably more in need of an image change than any of the other O&O's, having used the graphics from 2005, only modifying them in 2008 for their HD transition). But in any case, whether the '05 graphics or the current "Look C", NBC needs to get it together and make the next move!

Not everyone may be sold on the new image, but it doesn't do NBC any favors by pushing off all the relaunches.

You'd think that KNSD's launch would set the ball rolling on the other stations. It is getting quite annoying waiting (WMAQ is arguably more in need of an image change than any of the other O&O's, having used the graphics from 2005, only modifying them in 2008 for their HD transition). But in any case, whether the '05 graphics or the current "Look C", NBC needs to get it together and make the next move!

Not everyone may be sold on the new image, but it doesn't do NBC any favors by pushing off all the relaunches.

This is what is really getting me. One station, KNSD, is using the new package in full. Another, WCAU, has begun using it in most station presentation and could easily go any time now. The others seem to be using various parts of the new logo or presentation package. By all accounts, there's been a new package ready to go for awhile now.

I just don't know when they're going to pull the trigger.

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe just maybe the new look debuts here tomorrow. Promo out for Survive & Thrive that features the new logo and Futura is also used in the promo.

[yt]y5y69-rtsr0[/yt]

And hilariously, the old NBC 10 logo features prominently at the start. (Because this is, of course, nicked from the open they use for Survive And Thrive.)

I know that's not Futura, but does anyone know what it is? It almost looks like Avant Garde, but I don't think it's that either.

Is it custom? It's more in the Avenir direction, but it's not Avenir either.

I think it might be a modded Futura. They use a modded DIN now so I don't it being out of the question. I'm thinking it's Futura based being that the NBC logo of course features the font. Who knows.

I know there's an NBC Futura, but what they're using isn't that.

Given NBC's history of using custom fonts I'm sure it's custom made.

Maybe just maybe the new look debuts here tomorrow. Promo out for Survive & Thrive that features the new logo and Futura is also used in the promo.

"This... is... NBC10 News at 4."

Not today.

"This... is... NBC10 News at 4."

Not today.

I know. I doubt the opening voiceover will change at all being that they are keeping their branding the same.

At this point who knows when they will finally get around to updating to the new look.

I know there's an NBC Futura, but what they're using isn't that.

Given NBC's history of using custom fonts I'm sure it's custom made.

That typeface came with the NBC peacock and was part of Chermayeff and Geismar's identity package for them.

Here's a good example of something from that package (just the Special bumper here):

It's clearly based on a Futura typeface, but with some notable changes, including a spiky "N" and a "W" that has an overlap (the NBC News logo, for instance).

The new "NBCUniversal" font is also custom. It's called Rock (http://www.boldmonday.com/en/nbcuniversal/) and has serif and sans versions. Bold Monday also has designed fonts for Audi and VPRO (the Dutch broadcaster – the liberal Protestants, in case you get confused with the way they do things). The VPRO design is very recent, within the last 9 months or so.

I know. I doubt the opening voiceover will change at all being that they are keeping their branding the same.

At this point who knows when they will finally get around to updating to the new look.

Really? It sure doesn't seem like the branding will be the same - all of the new channel branding I've seen is "NBC 10 Philadelphia", and I would guess that they will record voiceovers with that - unless you mean that they will keep the news branding ("NBC10 News") the same, which, now that I think about it, sounds reasonable (at least compared to "NBC 10 Philadelphia News" :puke:).

There was an interview from KXAS today, and in the far left side cut off was what looked to be one of the new O&O logos. It was a lighted sign. The second line is shorter than the first, so it probably will become "NBC DFW" soon.

Archived