WABC debuts Road Cam 7

anchorman

What exactly is the Roadcam and the Mobile 2 all about because I'm not sure if I understand the tactic, is it like a live camera that reporters use as they are driving to the scene to report road conditions?

It's a simple small HDV camera hooked up to a laptop computer with Skype and a wireless data card which it works well in moving vehicles. I hate to say this, but it's cheaper and easier to put out live videos over a Skype connection.

Thanks! :D

WABC is being rediculous with the "7" branding now..instead of calling their skype interviews "via skype" they are calling them "Skype 7". I personally don't find it necessary to put the station number after every little thing. Am I the only one who feels this way?

WABC is being rediculous with the "7" branding now..instead of calling their skype interviews "via skype" they are calling them "Skype 7". I personally don't find it necessary to put the station number after every little thing. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Seems quite gimmicky for being the "#1 Station in the Country". I'd expect that from smaller stations that use something like "Super Giant Doppler Radar 3 Million XL" to differentiate themselves from the competition! :)

It's a simple small HDV camera hooked up to a laptop computer with Skype and a wireless data card which it works well in moving vehicles. I hate to say this, but it's cheaper and easier to put out live videos over a Skype connection.

Mobile 2, at least, is not Skype.

Hey Net -

isn't the technology similar to that of "Skype" but not actually using the Skype service, rather just a 4G video feed streamed through a laptop, as you mentioned?

I'm rather certain of this, because I believe that Skype requires credit for the technology if it's used on the air. (like "Skype7")

• 2 years later...

I know this happened a while ago, but I just wanted to bring to your attention that WPIX debuted this riding in the car thing during it's morning news on December 10th of 2013. They did not call it any special name though. I do like the name of "Carpix" though. Jump to 2:03 in the below video link to see Kirstin Cole reporting in the car. Video credit to jaynorris117.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxYjyCUW-eo

Archived