Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Some rare goodies are coming your way right now on this 4th of July 2017.

First, we take you to some rare news footage in the form of a newsbreak as aired on KCBJ-TV 17 in Columbia, Missouri. Recorded back in March 1983, it's a rare look at KCBJ's news operation. Here's hoping that one day, we'll see a news open with theme. ID is at 4:30 with newsbreak at 4:39.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KedQORpX8A

Next, we take you to WXLT 40 (now WWSB) and rare footage from "NewsCenter 40". This was recorded back in 1985 and talk about rare. A newsbreak can be seen at 3:12 and 6:46 with anchor Bill Holland along with one at 11:41 with Bob Keehn. An ID promo for Mary Rogers joining the "NewsCenter 40" team is seen at the end.

Another Fourth of July goodie - KSDK in 1983! This was during the ownership transition from Pulitzer to Multimedia.

At 5:17 we get a weather update from Dave Murray (now at KTVI) and a talent promo (Dick Ford and Karen Foss) at 6:28. Yes, Chuck Conners was the VO even then.

What a day, NewsActive3 with new vintage video (courtesy of one stevieboy, so it's all PA/MD):

Included are tastes of a WMAR graphics set I've never seen, a WHP Newsight 21 (!), etc.

Also... WTVJ. 1981. Full newscast with commercials.

• Like 1

What a day, NewsActive3 with new vintage video (courtesy of one stevieboy, so it's all PA/MD):

Included are tastes of a WMAR graphics set I've never seen, a WHP Newsight 21 (!), etc.

Also... WTVJ. 1981. Full newscast with commercials.

NewsActive3 has never uploaded two clips of those kinds of montages on the same day. Kinda a historic day since I always like those clips and I enjoy them very well.

NewsActive3 has never uploaded two clips of those kinds of montages on the same day. Kinda a historic day since I always like those clips and I enjoy them very well.

It's not the old stuff which I enjoy, and it's rather market restricted, but WHP Newsight 21 is enough of a rarity to make me interested.

• Like 1

Not to mention, the timing of those WHP clips (the 32nd Annual Grammy Awards were held 2/21/90) was enough to firmly establish some dates in the NMSA...relatively minor, but something I'm glad to see happen anyway.

Been to Joplin lately? Let's fix that. KOAM News at 6 from 1987, using Tuesday's News 88:

Also highly unusual material: an EARTHQUAKE CRAWL from KNBC over commercials and promos! (There's even a Spanish translation, though I spy a spelling error.) Also at 1:56 is a commercial voiced by Ed Hopkins. Ends in a news open...with a repeat.

There's also an Entertainment Tonight segment on the death of Anthony Perkins on the same channel with this crawl, so this is from sometime in the third week of September 1992.

No open or continuity, but TIL KOFY had local news in the late 80s and early 90s:

• Like 1

Dunno if this got posted here but this is a full KUSA newscast from 1993, with a full close with some of the best B-roll editing I've seen on a long close.

And I hate to be controversial here, but There's No Substitute > Third Street Music theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=cfcGLmWMWXU;m=49;s=58

The closing theme at the beginning of the video sounds weirdly similar to the theme All My Children was using during that same timeframe.

• Like 2

Also, some gems on this NewsActive3 compilation including a KTVK promo using Count On Us by Telesound (!!!), some promos for KOCO and WPRI, a 1983 WXIA promo for Harmon Wages (before his infamous trial), and much more.

WYAH had news updates in 1988...

And what the heck is this? (Jacky speculates it could be Gari)

The rebuilt WAFF of 1982 presents a summary of the state of the art of TV equipment 35 years ago (and some instrumentals of We're Your Kind of People):

WYAH had news updates in 1988...

Their arch-rivals WTVZ had them in the timeframe as well (the...lacking quality of the open was the direct inspiration for some of my own work):

And what the heck is this? (Jacky speculates it could be Gari)

That sounds nothing like Gari at all. Could it be something locally produced, maybe?

WTWO (Terre Haute, IN) opens from the mid 1970s - 2011

WTCN (now KARE; Twin Cities) NewsCenter 11 open 1983 (ID & open starts at 1:22)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwFvukO-uQ

KMGH (Denver) affiliation switch promo from September 1995 featuring ABC News and KMGH personalities with Regis Philbin and Oprah Winfrey.

KBTV (now KUSA; Denver) promo from ABC's "Come On Along" era (1982-83) via KUSA's promo YT account

WWBT (Richmond, VA) "NBC: Let's All Be There" promo from 1985

• Like 1