Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

TVQ Eyewitness News Brisbane 1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niTIxrKvxBY

Eyewitness Newsbreak w/Kay McGrath (now Ch 7 veteran)

As stated by uploader Australian TV Fan, the open featured the "Eyewitness News" helicopter, speedboat and even a 4WD.

Ah, Release of Energy...one of my favorite tracks from KPM (especially with all the synthy sound effects presumably added for TVQ).

WFLD opening in 1993, with a 1940s newsreel-esque dramatic orchestra in the background and a very messy and busy-looking early 90s looking intro.

Walter Jacobson's first year at WFLD, according to the description. I don't think either of the music choices that they used suited a 9pm news broadcast, even in 1993.

A quick KTVB ID from 1999 shows them using Broadcast News...but I'm linking the whole thing because of a very certain production track in the commercial preceding it.

This part also provides more of a look at the jcbD graphics of the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=M1jua28mABw;m=2;s=10

Did Blacker's become Mor Furniture for Less or something, or at least did they use the same production company? The whole ad screams Mor to me (including VO). Mor had a tendency at one point to use Network Music and actually directly contributed to one ID of a piece of music! (That would be Dominant Force. Hearing it in a Mor commercial actually sparked me finding it. It helped that I already knew it was a production track by its appearance in a Rick Santorum presidential ad.)

• Like 1

KSAT in 1994 -- who in the heck would make a news open this creepy? Apparently whoever was channel 12's general manager at the time.

Besides the creepy synth wind noises that sound straight out of some cheap VHS horror movie, I love the dramatic talent introductions.

SALTER *dun, DUN, dun*

• Like 2

One more I think is noteworthy:

I don't know why, but this opener (also from 1995) reminded me of WXIA.

Maybe the designers were heavily inspired by programs like Inside Edition.