Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

I agree. WLS pre-1971 is rare.

Speaking of rare, it looks like I may have hit the jackpot after all. I have three rare newscasts to share. One from Charlotte, one from Knoxville and one from Peoria.

First, we take you back to 1986 where WPCQ-TV in Charlotte brings you the 5:30pm news. You can see the news open at 0:37.

Then, we take you one year later to 1987 where WBIR-TV in Knoxville brings you "Action 10 News".

But that's not all, we take you back to 1985 where WRAU-TV in Peoria brings you "19 Eyewitness News"

All of these are courtesy of Mark Butzow who produced the WBIR newscast from 1987.

• Like 5

I agree. WLS pre-1971 is rare.

Speaking of rare, it looks like I may have hit the jackpot after all. I have three rare newscasts to share. One from Charlotte, one from Knoxville and one from Peoria.

First, we take you back to 1986 where WPCQ-TV in Charlotte brings you the 5:30pm news. You can see the news open at 0:37.

Then, we take you one year later to 1987 where WBIR-TV in Knoxville brings you "Action 10 News".

But that's not all, we take you back to 1985 where WRAU-TV in Peoria brings you "19 Eyewitness News"

All of these are courtesy of Mark Butzow who produced the WBIR newscast from 1987.

Is that the Karen Adams who later worked for WPRI?

• Like 2

A WTEN interview from idk when (definitely pre-2005, according to research Ryan Nobles was there from 2003 to 2005).

The ticker towards the end of the story mentions New York's indoor smoking ban taking effect which Google dates to July 24, 2003. If the woman at the end looks vaguely familiar to any Boston viewers, that would be a blonde Sharman Sacchetti, later of WFXT and now of WHDH.

That pairing was criminally underrated and was a breath of fresh air from the "middle aged man and his meteorologist sidekick robotically yucking it up" shows going on at WRGB and WNYT at the time.

• Like 5

From Argentina: the last segment of Canal 13's late news from the early hours of Tuesday, April 24, 2001 (includes a 8-second time and temperature check at the beginning), anchored by the recently departed Santo Biasatti.

From the United Kingdom, the open and the close from the very first edition of Channel 4 News, the in-depth 7 p.m. newscast, 1982:

The set and the presenting style reminded me of the Nine Network's Sunday program, seen here in 1998:

• Like 1

Yes, she is. She moved to Providence in March of 1989.

And then was replaced by Jesse Johnson.

The other guy, John McKnight, was in the midst of two Atlanta stints - he recently came from WSB-TV and left to upstart WGNX’s 10:00 newscast, and was replaced by WSTM’s Tom Miller. Sheesh, Channel 36 had a huge habit of poaching talent from many other markets...

And speaking of John McKnight, this WSB weekend tease from 1985 shows both the old “2” logo, as well as their current one being phased in:

• Like 1

And then was replaced by Jesse Johnson.

And speaking of John McKnight, this WSB weekend tease from 1985 shows both the old “2” logo, as well as their current one being phased in:

Did WSB ever use "Turn To News"? It's listed on the NMSA, but by all indications, they were actually using this electronic theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=6mTUWriErKE;m=2;s=35

• Like 1

A WTVH open with “Production Music: Industrial Power” appears at the beginning

Is that building still empty + has it been sold? Is the situation with WSTM still exists with LMA? (simulcasting newscasts but brand 'cbs 5 news' on 5)

• Like 1

I’m back with more Albany stuff!

Never knew Mr. WGN himself did promo work for WNYT...

Plus this 1991 report is currently the ONLY surviving footage of their “News 13” era on YouTube after the 1988 house fire video got taken down (and speaking of WGN, Randy Salerno!!!) Whoever has that audio clip of their 1988-1991 open better get that uploaded — that would definitely make my day.

If only there was another ewjxn, except that channel would upload vintage Albany clips instead of Phoenix... *sigh*...

• Like 3

Vintage KWTX in 1997.

It's weird to actually see this look and sound when it was relatively new (minus the last few moments, which were definitely not from 1997).

I think I have a tape of 10's morning news from around '02 or '03 and thinking how nice but dated the very same update graphics looked. The Lower-thirds had been modernized a bit but still looked pretty close to fitting the character of the overall graphics package.

Bostick was a quality owner based on everything I have seen, and they really invested in KWTX prior to their sale to Gray. The look, sound and direction of the newscasts even into the early years of Gray's ownership were very well executed. Not what you'd expect of of #90 or so market.

• Like 7

Did WSB ever use "Turn To News"? It's listed on the NMSA, but by all indications, they were actually using this electronic theme: [sNIP]

That information has been in the NMSA's database for over 15 years, but I've never seen a single thing to back it up. I for one think the '86-'88 dating actually applies to the electronic theme...

• Like 6

It's weird to actually see this look and sound when it was relatively new (minus the last few moments, which were definitely not from 1997).

I think I have a tape of 10's morning news from around '02 or '03 and thinking how nice but dated the very same update graphics looked. The Lower-thirds had been modernized a bit but still looked pretty close to fitting the character of the overall graphics package.

Bostick was a quality owner based on everything I have seen, and they really invested in KWTX prior to their sale to Gray. The look, sound and direction of the newscasts even into the early years of Gray's ownership were very well executed. Not what you'd expect of of #90 or so market.

Bostick was an owner that was notoriously cheap on his station music (we even have a quote about that from him — they wanted to buy, which is why they were still using The News Image in 1997) but the follow-up package is among my all-time favorites. They basically sent the market quality soaring with that music and graphics set.

"Buy the music... Buy it just like you buy your cameras and like you buy your transmitters. When you buy it, you own it and you use it until it is no good and you can throw it away."

• Like 3

Bostick was an owner that was notoriously cheap on his station music (we even have a quote about that from him — they wanted to buy, which is why they were still using The News Image in 1997) but the follow-up package is among my all-time favorites. They basically sent the market quality soaring with that music and graphics set.

"Buy the music... Buy it just like you buy your cameras and like you buy your transmitters. When you buy it, you own it and you use it until it is no good and you can throw it away."

Great observation! The final three years of ownership represent a sea-change of sorts in that line of thinking across the Bostick stations. Within this period, each of the stations in what became Gray's initial Texas-trio (KWTX,KBTX & KXII) received or were in the process of receiving on-air updates. KXII actually gained a news set that had a set of windows onto the newsroom and a fully-functional on-air weather center, all the work of Devlin Design Group. The graphics and music took some time to improve, however. That actually launched before the KWTX look that we are talking about now. Early to Mid 1996 maybe for KXII. There isn't a ton of content available online for them from that period. This one clip below represents the bulk of it, actually.

KWTX made the updates at some point in 1997 as mentioned. While there were some tweaks here and there, it more or less remained intact until 2005 when they picked up one of Gray's standardized sets.

KBTX, which there seems to be even less of online, was midstream in those changes when the sale to Gray was announced. I believe it was May of 2000, when they began using updated graphics, a new studio, whose floorplan is basically still in place to this day (Open studio with working newsroom in the background). They also started using a greater variety of cuts of "This is Your News".

One of my big regrets as a news/media junkie actually came about a month prior as I was in town for an extended class field-trip and stayed overnight in a hotel in College Station. KBTX actually was running the full-length image commercial of "This is Your News" during just about every commercial break in the late evening/early morning hours from what I saw and that had to be the ONE time I didn't take my VCR along. It was also interesting as I recall they were running what would've been the "new" logo and graphics during those spots, but nowhere else on-air so it was a sneak-peek at the look that would've been debuting soon. Those graphics remained until 2004 or 05. The set remained until some point this decade, if I'm not mistaken.

I've gone into my archives and found some photos of the KXII & KWTX sets. They are from 2002 when I was still in high school, but should give a better look at what we're talking about!

KXIIB.jpg.fb9a01625680dadf745188ff04b85b56.jpg

KWTX02A.jpg.7e7d504df6bc1dbcd808503bd5e5f9e7.jpg

KWTX02B.jpg.87546b5722a70da7328c06d1ee6784d1.jpg

KWTX02C.jpg.26f98857038be44c5bf00f6b716bcc09.jpg

KXIIA.jpg.f410b232b0937b95161e14b4c3c23431.jpg

• Like 1