WHIO New Graphics

AaronQ

This new stuff rocks. Their logo desperately needed a refresh, the gold coloring was getting a little stale. Of course, since blue/gold seems to be the Cox color of choice (it's used on, like, half their stations), time will tell whether or not Cox will ever truly standardize, because aside from shared color schemes, everyone seems to have their own look going on. It's nice that a large group of TV stations (aside from ABC) actually lets their stations look how they want to. (Though, around 1996, a graphics package that was used by WHIO was also used in some form by KIRO (when they were part of that Seattle/St. Louis triple swap between Belo, Cox and Paramount), WSOC and WFTV, but WHIO's usage was the "most impressive", according to a YouTube comment. It's appropriate, since James M. Cox himself started WHIO and it's newspaper brother, the Dayton Daily News.)

The best part of these graphics is definitely their new logo. It ties the whole look together as the graphics seem to organically flow from it. By itself it's a refreshingly simple variation of the Circle 7 logo.

On the other hand, I was slightly annoyed that their web address was in a ticker.

WSB-TV should have this opening for the flagship station of The Cox Family... Nice graphics but would like to see the time/temp...I see the Facebook & twitter logos on the side-

Time and temp added to the right of the logo above the web address would be a nice addition.

No kidding.

There's a channel 7 in Boston that would benefit from graphics like this. Just sayin'...

I wouldn't mind if the CBS O&O graphics went this direction.

UPDATE: Oh wait! WBBM did go this direction in 2008, but CBS would have none of it. Pttt. They don't know how good they had it!

There's a channel 7 in Boston that would benefit from graphics like this. Just sayin'...

There is apparently an update to those on WSVN that looks a lot more edgier (meanwhile, WHDH started using more "traditional" L3's last year,, but still uses the old design for breaking news)

Starting to think KIRO might be getting an update soon; they've started using a Bill Ratner voiceover in promos...

Starting to think KIRO might be getting an update soon; they've started using a Bill Ratner voiceover in promos...

It would be good for KIRO, considering that their current Giant Octopus (Now FX, I guess) package is a cookie cutter. Also, they need to stop using Enforcer Series 1.

• 2 months later...

The WBBM 2008 graphics/Heart of the City pack still remain one of my favorites. Though the L3s moved a little too much in the original WBBM pack, I think it would have been nice for WHIO to have kept them, the fonts were different but clean.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived