New wabc graphics start today

nynewsguy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh ok.. I didn't think they were going to debut until First @ 4.

They are a nice, modern refresh of the previous graphics. Standard WABC colors - which yes, do reflect the new set.

The open is truncated for now. No talent openings. They will be coming in the future. The show starts "This is New York's most watched News - Eyewitness News"...... or something close to that. I can't recall off the top of my head.

New music, based on the Stimulus package will be coming in the future as well.

Looks like exactly that - a refresh of the old look. A little simpler and more "webby" than what they had, and a little more blue and white than red/blue, but it isn't a major change for them.

nynewsguy, do you know if they switched to a viz graphics system or something similar? There appears to be a bit more animation, though again not on the order of WPVI.

I think the full screens and OTSs are good, but the L3s are strange---they're strangely proportioned, and the font doesn't suit the graphics at all.

The graphics are similar to WFTV's but some graphics are slanted. Here's a full screen graphic seen on their website.

8295101_335x188.jpg

Looks like exactly that - a refresh of the old look. A little simpler and more "webby" than what they had, and a little more blue and white than red/blue, but it isn't a major change for them.

nynewsguy, do you know if they switched to a viz graphics system or something similar? There appears to be a bit more animation, though again not on the order of WPVI.

The "anchor" L3 animates out with what appears to be elements of the Video Copilot Optical Flares plugin for After Effects, which would lead me to believe they're not on a Viz.

Lots of extra animation effects... Not sure how necessary that is. Also the full screens no longer have the circle 7 logo in the background. Now it looks pretty generic.

That's one reason I don't like them that much. They're really generic. The L3's almost look like they just swapped the background layer and left the text in the same place as the old graphics.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great package, but it just feels a bit too "small market" for me.

Here's the BIG question about the latest of the new street level studio over at WABC. They're now three quarters done and expecting a September launch of the new look. They're "three" sets in one huge studio. Main news desk, interview area, weather center. From this insider's opinion, the new set up looks fantastic!!! Take my word, you'll love it!

Again, they're almost done and should launch in a month from now!

Agree - 110%. It really does look fantastic.

The story graphic and the L3s have to much animation effects as they appear on screen and it feels very slow.

The time and temp are slightly past the bug on the left side. It needs to be moved a little to the right.

It would be better if they took the background off the time and temp.

Here's intro for 5:30pm,

Yep these are definitely nicer, I didn't see any of the broadcasts today because of work, but wow these are impressive! I will record the 11PM broadcast and do a run down and post it on YouTube much like I did in the past. So far these are nice graphics. I'm not really blown away by them though because they are essentially a rehash of what they had before and they look as if they are trying to imitate WPVI's legendary graphics, by adding some 3D elements today. I wouldn't say that they are extremely better than what they had before but it is a step up. I wonder why they didn't change the music though, the music is just way too old and out of date for this package. Not that the music is bad or anything its just way over do for a change.

The lower thirds which took some time to get used to in May 2008 when they unveiled the previous look, look even more out of proportion. They need to adjust the font size because it looks terrible a simple fix in the font or at least a slight reduction will make things look cleaner and better. There were certain elements from the previous package that looked better than this one such as the Live Bug, the Time and Temp Bug those were more "cleaner" then the ones they are using now. The Time and Temp Bug is really distracting, they should make it smaller and more subtle its too bold. The way WCBS and WNBC have their time and temps are much cleaner and WABC should follow that. Overall there needs to be a bit more transparency which was more dominant in their previous package that they had. This new one lacks transparency, though the animations are much nicer, the transparency is lacking.

But this is definitely a nice look for WABC, are they the nicest graphics in New York? Hmm, I still think its a close race between WCBS and WNBC. And these still rank 3rd. Like Weeter's said its still a bit small market. I haven't seen the weather graphics yet, those I'm looking forward to see but the core news graphics, I'm not really jumping out of my seat like I did back in May 2008, but its still a nice refresh. It looks as if Giant Octopus refreshed everything for them. The lower thirds are nicer looking but the font size is just too big though if they can lower it a tad and adjust that would be much better. They lower thirds I think need to be reworked, other than that its a solid upgrade out of 10, I give it a 7.

A few new things on WABC's Weather Side..

First.. Accutrack which was the Baron Radar they were using for years is now WSI's Max Storm system

Second.. Their Producer system is now TruVU Max IE The Current Temps, beach cast, air quality, and 7Day maps. However, there is a mix of the old graphics inside this system. Their weather icons are the same which is weird because they look old and out dated.

Someone can post the screen caps when they are able to.

The story graphic and the L3s have to much animation effects as they appear on screen and it feels very slow.

The time and temp are slightly past the bug on the left side. It needs to be moved a little to the right.

It would be better if they took the background off the time and temp.

Here's intro for 5:30pm,

Is those graphics done by Giant Octopus or by their in-house graphics department? I can't really tell for sure.

New music, based on the Stimulus package will be coming in the future as well.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

Did I miss something, or did you say Stimulus? (!) Is this new or has this been the plan all along and I've been under a rock? Could we be talking about something similar to the

?

Sorry for all the random questions, but I'm intrigued and excited, for sure. I'm just surprised that the new music may not be another EWN reboot.

Archived