Wragge to head back to WCBS for 6pm

anchorman

This is interesting. Does WCBS want to sure up their 6pm ratings or does CBS want Wragge out on the Early Show?

I dunno, but if they want him off the Early Show, then I think Les Moonves and Julie Chen need to go. Not saying Chris is that great on the show, but I am sick and tired of this constant changing of anchors on Early Show (Chen, Syler, Storm, Smith, Price, Mitchell, Rodriguez, Hill, Wragge, Glor Castro - all over past six years) and Evening News (Rather, Shieffer, Couric, Pelley - that's four anchors in six/seven years... a lot for an evening news program). Perhaps it's not the anchors but the higherups that are the problem. And now comes the rumblings about The Talk making host changes. Seriously, Chen is so boring it's a wonder how she hosts even one show, let alone two or three.

I dunno, but if they want him off the Early Show, then I think Les Moonves and Julie Chen need to go. Not saying Chris is that great on the show, but I am sick and tired of this constant changing of anchors on Early Show (Chen, Syler, Storm, Smith, Price, Mitchell, Rodriguez, Hill, Wragge, Glor Castro - all over past six years) and Evening News (Rather, Shieffer, Couric, Pelley - that's four anchors in six/seven years... a lot for an evening news program). Perhaps it's not the anchors but the higherups that are the problem. And now comes the rumblings about The Talk making host changes. Seriously, Chen is so boring it's a wonder how she hosts even one show, let alone two or three.

There was an article on FTVLive a few months ago that they wanted to change up the anchors at The Early Show- again. From what was mentioned, all would go except for Erica Hill and maybe, Glor. As for the Talk, the blame goes to Julie Chen. As long as Les is at CBS, she will always have a job, no matter if she sucks.

If they take Chris off of The Early Show I will cry. And all crushes and lust aside, I think he does a great job. If he was not good at that sort of format it would have been apparent from his hosting of the Saturday Early Show which he did for a very long time, along with guest hosting on the weekdays. How long has CBS been struggling with their morning show...decades? And yet they STILL keep playing the Anchor Shuffle.

Let me ask, could Chen juggle both the Early Show and The Talk? Those are everyday shows, unlike Big Brother.

Also, Chris is the same one who was on Entertainment Tonight, am I correct?

Well The Talk is filmed in LA and The Early Show is filmed in NY.

Chen no longer does the Early Show, she gave it up when she started on the Talk. Beforehand, she usually co-anchored out of LA for her last few years on the Early Show.

As for Harry Smith replacing Matt Lauer, I doubt it. Harry is not only older than Matt (who knows when he'll retire), he has more of a harder news personality that I don't think will work well on Today.

There was an article on FTVLive a few months ago that they wanted to change up the anchors at The Early Show- again. From what was mentioned, all would go except for Erica Hill and maybe, Glor. As for the Talk, the blame goes to Julie Chen. As long as Les is at CBS, she will always have a job, no matter if she sucks.

I hope they don't change the anchors. I like what I see NOW.

Let me ask, could Chen juggle both the Early Show and The Talk? Those are everyday shows, unlike Big Brother.

Also, Chris is the same one who was on Entertainment Tonight, am I correct?

No this isn't the same Chris (Fortunately). That's Chris Jacobs.

This is interesting. Does WCBS want to sure up their 6pm ratings or does CBS want Wragge out on the Early Show?

That would be nice for Wragge to come back to WCBS. But I don't want him to leave Early. I actually like him and his style of performimg the news in the morning. And this may shock you, but I usually like watching Early every morning.

Here's the issue with WCBS.

TURNOVER. The powers that be over at that shop don't know how to stick with one group of talent and let viewers get accaimated to it...

For some reason, they think that because they lose the entire lead-in that they have with Judge Judy at 4pm that it's becasue of the anchors.

What they have to reconsider is the format and overall way they present the news.

News is news. With the governing laws of the FCC, you can't spin it too much... but you can change the way it's presented it...

I've always found WCBS to be incredibly stiff. It has nothing to do with working at the competition...

This is not the WCBS of the 80's.. and if that's what they're trying to get back to, they have a LOOOONG way to go.

Jim Jensen is long gone, Carol Martin retired, and Michelle Marsh was put out to pasture years ago.

Dana Tyler and Cindy Hsu are the lone survivors from the 90s and quite honestly, while very nice women - neither is a draw.

Everyone else is either stale (Maurice, Rob, Don) or too green (Kristine, Chris, Lonnie).

Its actually really pretty sad when you think about all the various anchors that have been shuffled around their various newscasts, even if you just go back 10 years. If I went back 15, the list would be even longer. People have come and gone, been forced out, left on their own, replaced, moved from weekends to weekdays to mornings, etc.

Les and his merry jackasses don't have a clue how to run a network - look at who he's trying to lure viewers in with.

Erica Hill.. good journalist, but again - not a draw. Chris Wragge? I mean, come on...

These are the people you're trying to gain viewers in the morning with?

Scott Pelley... great on 60 minutes... but time will tell if he even moves the numbers an inch.

But as far as local is concerned... I think the place is a lost cause. They should really just put cameras in the WCBS-AM (880) studios and simulcast that... those people know how to broadcast news, and pull in numbers. It's called stability.

Take a page from the WABC rulebook... make sure the pretty faces you try to attract viewers with actually know how to do the job.

To NYNEWSGUY: I agree with you post 100%. I've been saying this for years in various posts on this forum. The instability of the anchors and reporters on WCBS is horrendous. Just look at how many anchors they've had since 1992. Unbelievable. If people don't want to go that far back, look in the last 15 years. Remember Michele, Carol, Angela Rae, Roz Abrams, Lisa Cooley, etc... And I agree with youu that Dana Tyler is not a draw. You nailed it in on the head.

Take a page from the WABC rulebook... make sure the pretty faces you try to attract viewers with actually know how to do the job.

Bigtime kudos, man. I think that this could apply to a few stations out where I am...but yeah, this is LA I'm talking about.

I noticed Steve Overmyer who used to be at SNY was doing the sports report tonight on WCBS while Otis was a part of the WCBS coverage of the Jets game.

Is he just freelancing or could WCBS be going back to have three sports reporters?

Well said!, I have really nothing to add. Just gonna reiterate, WCBS's problem is their lack of stability. They are too focused on talent, focus on the content and focus on making the talent better at their jobs and they'll see the difference..

I noticed Steve Overmyer who used to be at SNY was doing the sports report tonight on WCBS while Oits was a part of the WCBS coverage of the Jets game.

Is he just freelancing or could WCBS be going back to have three sports reporters?

Sam Ryan is out, according to the NY Daily News.

• 5 weeks later...

Chris Wragge will juggle both the Early Show job and the WCBS 6pm anchor job, according to FishBowl NY on Twitter.

ARTICLE

---

Who else thinks this is a nice way of slowly pushing him out the door of Early?

Absolutely.

But I think WCBS needs his drawing power b/c Dana Tyler, especially on her own, is a wasted half hour.

• 4 weeks later...

For those wondering where Chris is,

From TV Newser

By Alex Weprin on October 20, 2011 12:01 PM

Yesterday we noted that CBS “Early Show” co-anchor Chris Wragge was dealing with a bout of food poisoning, and would return to work on today. As it turns out, food poisoning wasn’t the culprit. Rather, Wragge was afflicted with a gastrointestinal virus that has yet to leave his system.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/chris-wragge-faces-health-setback-return-to-cbs-tba_b93593

• 3 weeks later...

Unsurprisingly, it looks like CBS has officially failed (again) with its latest revamp of the Early Show. A new morning news program will be announced next week and will feature Charlie Rose and Gayle King with no plans for Chris Wragge to be part of the program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/business/media/charlie-rose-and-gayle-king-to-join-the-early-show-on-cbs.html?ref=business

Archived