Hurricane Irene Coverage

Vlad

The tri-state area is under serious threat right now for a major hurricane. This will potentially be a first for many people here in the area and this is just pretty shocking for everyone. Hopefully we'll use this thread for updates and other information about evacuations if possible.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally have never lived through a first-hand account experience of a Hurricane and if it comes here it will be history in the making. Right now, it looks like the center of the storm track puts it right in the middle of Howard Beach and the Rockaways. So if it impacts here that is where it will impact directly. The city will be on the west side of the storm so therefore expect more rain in Manhattan, but albeit less wind, Long Island will have more wind, and probably a little less rain, but either way this is definitely looking like the worst case scenario now.. Literally 5 years after Katrina..

WNBC has pre-empted NY Live for News4 with Chuck and Shiba anchoring.

Due to coverage of the NYC Mayor's press conference the network newscasts are airing at 7pm.

NY Nightly News did cue at 7 on 4.2/NY Nonstop with Shiba Russell.

So far every station has good coverage.. They all broke in at 9am to cover the Bloomberg news conference.. PIX has had surprisingly decent coverage.. Bill Evans will return early from vacation tomorrow and im assuming all stations will have their entire weather teams in all weekend..

So far every station has good coverage.. They all broke in at 9am to cover the Bloomberg news conference.. PIX has had surprisingly decent coverage.. Bill Evans will return early from vacation tomorrow and im assuming all stations will have their entire weather teams in all weekend..,

Yes, this is an event that Bill wouldn't miss! Bill and Amy will be teaming in the AMs and Jeff & Lee in the PMs. Bill and Lee will be working together through the storm on Sunday... There is already a tech team in place should the power go out on Sunday, the newscasts will go on via backup generator and a flashcam in the newsroom - just like during the blackout in 2003.

There is already a tech team in place should the power go out on Sunday, the newscasts will go on via backup generator and a flashcam in the newsroom - just like during the blackout in 2003.

On a somewhat related note -- will ABC Network be shifting it's "master control" out to LA during the storm, or is network able to stay up during that sort of event?

Well based on the path of the storm, the impact will be most severe towards the bottom of the island of Manhattan. Basically if the storm continues its current track, this could leave parts of JFK and LaGuardia Airports inundated. The Rockaways, Coney Island, Staten Island, Howard and Brighton Beach, plus all coastal communities are expected to flood, areas in Long Island such as Freeport, Lido Beach, Long Beach, Point Lookout, Moriches, The Hamptons, including Montauk, and Fire Island will likely be flooded by the storm surge. Areas will north of Sunrise Highway could even experience street flooding and not to mention sewage issues this is looking to be the worst case scenario right now. It seems like every year we experience a memorable event and this will likely be one of them for 2011.

Anyway so far I've been watching WABC, their coverage has been excellent, I'm sure the other stations are covering the storm fairly well. Its already Friday now and 24 hours from now, the storm will have already begun.

CNN has shown some interesting pictures of the flood areas in the city, should this Hurricane make a direct impact, it seems that if this were to occur, only places in the immediate shoreline especially in Lower Manhattan will be flooded significantly, considering that most of these television broadcast stations are in the middle of the island of Manhattan, I don't think that they would suffer extensive damage, if anything winds will probably be the major culprit especially in high rises, where windows will likely be blown out should the wind gusts exceed 100+ miles per hour.

Right now this morning, the network early morning shows are reporting extensive coverage on Hurricane Irene. Almost of these broadcasts are airing coverage of the storm; of course mixed with the day's news. I'm definitely sure that the morning news shows will have their coverages as their main stories.

I'm also watcing New York station WPIX, Chicago station WGN and Philly stations WPVI and WTXF on my computer and it is also reporting extensive coverage on the storm.

Ever since yesterday, I have been hooked on Irene reports, and was lucky that WPIX, WGN, WTXF and WPVI

is airing livestreams of their news broadcasts. That way I can see how their coverages are like. In my case, WPVI and WPIX are great, while the others are good.

WCBS, WNBC, WABC are on at noon. I think the image of the radar on the left hand corneron WABC is a not as clear. They zoom in on the radar but it doesn't really show the proximity of the immediate area the storm is affecting, like WCBS and WNBC shows.

WNBC staying live on the air through the evening.

WABC TV announced it's coverage when it goes full time will be simulcast on 1050 ESPN Radio.

Good move, considering that with the winds likely to reach hurricane force, widespread power outages are a likely thing. I'm probably "preaching to the choir", though!

All major stations are now doing wall to wall coverage, I expect the remainder of them to follow suit as the storm gets closer. Right now, 2, 4, 5, and 7 are on right now. My 9 has a crawl. 11 doesn't have anything right now, the spanish stations are also airing regular programming..

Channel 7 said they will be on non stop for the next 48 hours.. Channel 11 said they will be on from 6-9 am tomorrow with their morning team.. Tomorrow morning Lori and Ken will be back in which im surprised they aren't their today since 2 4 and 5 I have their weekday morning people in.

Archived