Scripps and McGraw-Hill Station New Graphics and Other News

IndyNewsGuy

Scripps and, soon to be Scripps O&Os, McGraw-Hill Stations will all be standardized, with a NEW graphics package. No details on when, just obvisously to expect to learn more in 2012. No word or music or what they will look like. Just something new coming to all 16 stations.

ALSO: Talks of layoffs at McGraw-Hill stations can be put to rest. All current employee contracts will be honored once Scripps takes over after the pending FCC approval (which will be granted). Also the newsrooms at WRTV (Who's has dropped the "On Your Side" Branding in favor for "TheIndyChannel" while more branding research is done), KMGH, KGTV, KERO are the smallest in staff in their respective markets (So there's nobody to fire).

Don't feel like you've gotten inside information. You didn't learn that much, just maybe a little perspective. :)

The questions you still can raise are:

Will KMGH-TV get new call letters? Maybe KEWS-TV? Hmm...

And will the stations see new music? Stay Tuned.

Didn't McGraw-Hill recently sign a four year contract renewal with Gari Communications? Could it be that the Scripps stations (most of them) go back to Gari? Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the Scripps stations were to go to Hothaus for their next graphics package since the McGraw-Hill stations have been working with them for several years now.

Didn't McGraw-Hill recently sign a four year contract renewal with Gari Communications? Could it be that the Scripps stations (most of them) go back to Gari? Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the Scripps stations were to go to Hothaus for their next graphics package since the McGraw-Hill stations have been working with them for several years now.

KMGH commissioned a Hothaus package in 2006. The rest of them picked up largely the same thing. However, I'm pretty sure everything since then (including the HD conversion) has all been done in-house. There's no other explanation for how messy the current look is. As for the music, if Scripps owns their own music package, it may be cheaper to terminate the Gari contracts and use the (free) Scripps music.

KGTV has been using Hothaus' graphics since 2004 and in just the last 2 or 3 months have been using some really nice gray/gold/white promo graphics. I might be going out on a limb here, but I really don't think that the Scripps music will last much longer. It's better than Gannett's crap, but it still seems boring and unimaginative.

KGTV has also gotten some new on-air people the last few months; in fact, it seems like HLN's Virginia Cha has been brought in to anchor the 6 PM news, she starts this Monday. On their promos, they claim to be the number one nightly newscast, I guess they did well during sweeps, can anyone back that up with evidence?

I was never a fan of their Hothaus graphics that they've been using since 2006, so I'm glad there's a plan for change, hopefully they get something fresh and unique. I also hope they keep the Gari music.

I'm wondering what's going to happen to the McGraw Hill sites, will they be standardized as well, will Scripps revamp all the sites?

I'm wondering what's going to happen to the McGraw Hill sites, will they be standardized as well, will Scripps revamp all the sites?

You would think so, but WEWS went for years with an IB-powered site that hadn't been redesigned since the early 2000s, so anything's possible.

KMGH commissioned a Hothaus package in 2006. The rest of them picked up largely the same thing. However, I'm pretty sure everything since then (including the HD conversion) has all been done in-house. There's no other explanation for how messy the current look is. As for the music, if Scripps owns their own music package, it may be cheaper to terminate the Gari contracts and use the (free) Scripps music.

It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that Scripps could honor McGraw-Hill's contract with Gari Communications and have them commission a new groupwide news theme for them; consider the fact they composed a theme for Hearst's stations (although the Gari Hearst theme, on stations that use it, is sometimes just played during newscasts in certain dayparts, like it is on KOCO here in Oklahoma City, with Newsmusic Central's 2004 news package during newscasts where the Gari package isn't used). Gari's Daily News package has also been used on Sinclair's stations for almost five years now.

• 1 month later...

Per WRTV's Facebook Page in reference to their new logo: "...it debuted this afternoon during Judge Judy. It'll state showing up in newscasts tomorrow at 5:00 PM." So we can expect something at the former McGraw-Hill stations to change as well, and maybe the Scripps stations too. We shall what happens.

Outside of the new logo, the graphics are what they've been using for a while (for the most part that I can see.) The lower thirds are the same as they have been for a couple of years. It also appears they have a new announcer as well.

The station doesn't really appear to have a proper news title now, other than the anchor calling it "RTV6 News" but that's it.

I pretty much agree that the new logo was probably made before the Scripps takeover, they probably planned the logo rebranding to coincide with their local Super Bowl coverage. As i recall, KGTV had a brand makeover during the 2003 Super Bowl in San Diego, it was much more elaborate though (set enhancements, new graphics package).

Not a fan of the logo. It seems like they wanted to unify their two former identities ("ABC RTV6"and "6 NEWS"), poor execution -- me thinks they could have done better.

Since Scripps officially took over the McGraw stations this month, I don't think that those are the final graphic designs, it's probably going to take them several months to design a cohesive and attractive look.

The WRTV graphics look like just a different flavor of what they've been using for a while now -- a minor refresh. The new logo isn't very good, but the old 6 was getting long in the tooth and screamed 1980s. Hopefully the speculation here is right that this is a temporary logo.

The WRTV graphics look like just a different flavor of what they've been using for a while now -- a minor refresh. The new logo isn't very good, but the old 6 was getting long in the tooth and screamed 1980s. Hopefully the speculation here is right that this is a temporary logo.

It actually looked good as a ABC-style Circle 6, to be honest.

Well here is the scoop on WRTV. The graphics you have seen are the same thing they have been using since Fall 2010. The only thing they did was change a logo that wasnt broken. Sure they've been usuing it since the 80's, but there was nothing wrong with it. The "RTV" branding is what should've been killed. It came about in 1999 which is when they fell to 3rd place. From 1999 until 2006 They had one brand "RTV6" with newscast branded as "RTV6 News." In 06 they changed back to "6News" on RTV6 (Originally WRTV 6 News, then 6News, then RTV6 News, the 6News again), the "ABC RTV6" under ABC's new mandate. It was after the Scripps takeover that the decision was made to go back to "RTV6 News" combining the Brands. The Logo now reads "RTV-6-ABC".

Now at the new WRTV, after 24 years channel 6 pulled a WLS or WGN and got rid of their long time voice, in this case John Young. The New V/O is David Kaye.

This re-branding decision came after Scipps' VP of Marketing was at WRTV for a day doing the obvious marketing stuff. So this was a WRTV/Scripps Choice.

I have however been told that even though the decision was made under Scripps... quote "Nothing has been Scripps-ified yet" from WRTV's Facebook page. So changes are still to come. Whether the standardization could be the Package the MGH4....well its possible, so stand by.

My Thoughts. The Logo and Voice weren't broken. I would've rebranded "6ABC" since they were open to changing the entire branding. (This was a big deal. That's like Walmart changing its name now. That logo is older than me and dates back to when WRTV was in 1rst place.) The new logo looks like it was made in Microsoft Word with the ABC logo pasted on. I also hate that The logo is red, because all the stations in Indy are "Red". The graphics package overall has great potential, however I dont like the L3's. They should go back to the L3's KMGH is using now, at least then they would match (RED and BLUE).

And the "ABC-style Circle 6" was very nice. This new logo is simply shit. However WRTV as a hole has come up alot since December 2010. 200% Better than under Previous GM who came up with "RTV6 News."

That is all...

Now at the new WRTV, after 24 years channel 6 pulled a WLS or WGN and got rid of their long time voice, in this case John Young. The New V/O is David Kaye.

Definitely good for RTV-6. I've been fond of David Kaye ever since he replaced the late Chris Clausen on WPTV News Channel 5 upon his death in the Summer '08.

Kaye would make a great replacement for Ed O'Brien on KTRK and even KFSN.

• 1 month later...

Update: KGTV has posted some talent pics on their facebook page with some new color schemes/graphics. Normally I don't pay any attention to this, however what had me wondering was a Breaking News graphic that was posted. Anyways, I figured it could be a part of a new Scripps graphics package.

See more here:

http://www.facebook....43330760&type=3

Archived