NBC chicago changes?

Chicago News Boy

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's hoping all you like the set. From Allison's Facebook page...

"HI Becky! yes we have a new set and we are back now at the NBC tower. We have been at studio 5 on Michigan Avenue in the afternoon for years. Now we are back at the Tower for all our afternoon and evening shows. Hope you check it out!"

Maybe they're looking to ditch Studio 5 all together?

Talked to someone there...they aren't ditching it

Here's hoping all you like the set. From Allison's Facebook page...

"HI Becky! yes we have a new set and we are back now at the NBC tower. We have been at studio 5 on Michigan Avenue in the afternoon for years. Now we are back at the Tower for all our afternoon and evening shows. Hope you check it out!"

Maybe they're looking to ditch Studio 5 all together?

There's no mention of morning shows and the noon show, so I'm guessing they're just not going to fire it up for an hour in the afternoon anymore.

Talked to someone there...they aren't ditching it

That was just something talked over in a couple management meetings a long time back when they were looking for more ways to trim the budget.. It's a very different situation at the station now. However, I would assume soon on seeing ALL the newscasts coming from the new tower set while they renovate the Studio 5 set to better match the new look.

According to one of the videos that surfaced, the look is referred to as "Look F2". Which officially confirms that the basic graphics are indeed labeled Look F.

The F2 part is intriguing to me though, and opens up some questions. Would that make KNTV's version F1? And would that make WCAU's heavily modified version F3? Where would KNBC fall, as their graphics resemble KNTV's with a simple font change? Or hell, would F1 even be the block look and F2 the term encompassing the KNTV graphics and all of their iterations?

All-in-all, the set is like a combo of Nightly News, WCAU, KNTV and a little KNBC...and somehow it works! I'm very impressed, they actually didn't do a half-assed job on anything. Set, graphics, mic flags, all on par right out of the gate!

Actually... I'd say they half-assed the opens considerably. Just by that morning open, there are quite a few things wrong with it. The scrolling legal ID looks horrible, the Studio 5 logo animation looks like it was cheaply thrown together, and I'm not quite sure about the modified peacock open animation. I also don't like that they're using still photos for the opens and only a few variations at that.

Then again, I'm probably spoiled by Philly's version of the look. All of WCAU's opens have video footage, some culled from the tourism bureau, some specially shot by the station. I'm also pretty sure WCAU uses anywhere from 15-20 open variations. Quite likely more than that.

As for the graphics, I think I like them. They are definitely modified quite a bit - nowhere near as much as 10, but more than what KNBC did. I do like the incorporation of the peacock colors as beams of light, and I think the use of dark blue instead of white/blue is an intriguing choice, even if it doesn't entirely work. I also love that bug.

Set is... I dunno, I can't help but think it's a little cramped. Doesn't seem huge to me at all, but again, the top two stations have fairly large sets. It's a hell of an improvement over the aging newsroom and it's a rather decent Clickspring set. It does look great, but I don't think it's very big at all.

As for the music...

So i'm confused, Tower (music) is gone all together?

From what I can gather from the comments, Tower is still popping up in a few stings. I'm not exactly shocked. WCAU uses their version of the Arnold theme, but they're still using a few cuts from Gari and a few cuts from their 2000 package. And, of course, they're using their iconic weather sting that dates to 1997.

But I really, really think you guys got the best possible music package. It's become one of my favorites since it launched here. Yeah, Tower is beloved, but I don't know if it would have worked with this package as well as this theme does. It's certainly a different style of music than The Tower, far more contemporary and rockish, but it's just as good in its own way. It has a catchy hook and a few great variations. Hopefully, you're using the sports theme - that's one of the best parts.

I'm glad another city got this because it's a well-made package and it doesn't deserve to be shoved aside because it was made for a particularly horrible graphic look. You could have easily wound up with NBC Collection/NBC New Gen - a bunch of horribly mismatched themes with the chimes shoved on it. This is ten times better. It's not Tower, but it's good in its own way.

I think its a solid theme, but I would have much rather them gone with any version of Tower. To me, an orchestral theme fits the graphics better than a rock theme. I mean, the graphics are a really classy in style and it was originally made with the KNBC package in mind (an orchestral package).

That said, the theme isn't bad. It has a nice musical hook and it's miles ahead of Gari's New Generation crap.

As for the set, it's smaller, but I think it may be one of my favorite Clickspring local sets to date.

Archived