NBC chicago changes?

Chicago News Boy

Does anyone know when nbc 5 is switching to nbc chicago and getting an overhaul on their graphics/set? They have been talking about it since last december, however nothing has really changed. They do have some new generic graphics for like breaking news, sky 5, weather right now etc. But their very cheesy and poor quality. Very generic

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the generic naming thing was killed by Comcast. It looks like a few new graphics packages are being developed and deployed to the O&Os.

WMAQ looks to be getting this (very low quality):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7cuesjkjCk

Aren't they going to have to get Look C, the WNBC and KNSD packages first...and use them each for like 10 years? They should be getting "Look G" in like 2042, right? :bang: All in the name of keeping things stale, I guess...

Aren't they going to have to get Look C, the WNBC and KNSD packages first...and use them each for like 10 years? They should be getting "Look G" in like 2042, right? :bang: All in the name of keeping things stale, I guess...

Reposting from the other thread:

WMAQ-NewGFX.jpg

That's an element that's clearly in the graphics montage, most notably the sponsor plug. It's the only station to use something that looks like it specifically came from that package (other stations are using Gotham font, or fonts culled from the block package, or wholly original stuff). And as we saw with KXAS, there looks to be at least two new packages being circulated this time around...

Interesting. I would just like to see a new set at least. I mean their weather center is a joke. A little desk with 3 computers and a table from walmart. Studio 5 is decent but the tower studio is awful! Its small and looks mismatched and its from 1989. Notice to how the new promo doesnt include sports personnel. Could this be a sign that csn will be taking over nbc 5 sports soon? Btw thanks for the video.. Quite cool, hopefully nbc 5 will get something new soon!

Interesting. I would just like to see a new set at least. I mean their weather center is a joke. A little desk with 3 computers and a table from walmart. Studio 5 is decent but the tower studio is awful! Its small and looks mismatched and its from 1989. Notice to how the new promo doesnt include sports personnel. Could this be a sign that csn will be taking over nbc 5 sports soon? Btw thanks for the video.. Quite cool, hopefully nbc 5 will get something new soon!

Notice to how the new promo doesnt include sports personnel. Could this be a sign that csn will be taking over nbc 5 sports soon?

They haven't had a permanent lead sports anchor since Ryan Baker left in '07/08. But, since Paula Faris is leaving for ABC (her farewell is tonight on Sports Sunday), they only have Mike Adamle and Peggy Kusinksi left...so I'm thinking Adamle will take a lead role for the station. However, they will need to pick up some new people.

-OR-

A CSN-merger is always possible...who knows?

For those wondering about CSN integration, that hasn't happened on any wide scale in Philly yet. If anything, you're seeing more NBC 10 stuff (weather hits, the odd staffer on a segment, the occasional NBC 10 report) on CSN than you're seeing CSN stuff on NBC 10.

You're thinking of the

. WMAQ's current look "Look A" debuted around 2005?

Yep.

But I must say, the overall presentation (especially the open) seemed so similar, so the 2000 arguement could be made...

918901148_wmaqopen.thumb.jpg.116bd6dccb50f6fa25adc798ea97a480.jpg

Sometime before going HD, WMAQ also came very close to switching over to the WNBC Pyburns.. It was almost all loaded in and ready to go but for some reason or another, management changed their mind at the last minute. They even began using the Pyburn weather graphics for a couple months.

They have so little room to work with (less than any other station). Building a 'grand' set would require a ton of work/money and I just can't see them doing this. Honestly, they like to do just enough to get by (nothing more or less). I would be shocked if they did anything major.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I noticed a few things. In the OTS picture attached, its the first time I've seen them use the website logo on air. Also, for the 10pm news they were broadcasting from Studio 5. On Allison's facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/allisonrosati, she mentions "See you tonight from Studio 5! We are cooking up something new at the NBC Tower." Wonder what's going on?

185803320_AllisonOTS.thumb.jpg.7f38f62864d994ada7b1f929b873f11f.jpg

Archived