NBC chicago changes?

Chicago News Boy

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on what they're doing, It could still be a while. They could be doing significant renovations to the newsroom itself, and that would mean building inspections and permits and work crews and all that fun stuff, and all that done before the set could start to go up.

IF the new graphics premiere on Monday, do you guys predict they will debut in the morning or at 10PM?

No offense to jake1478, but I just realized that we all went from speculating what time they'd debut the graphics to assuming the launch would be today...

Oops.

Depending on what they're doing, It could still be a while. They could be doing significant renovations to the newsroom itself, and that would mean building inspections and permits and work crews and all that fun stuff, and all that done before the set could start to go up.

It's unclear exactly what they're doing. I haven't seen/heard any type of casual on-air banter like 'we're building a new set' or 'can't wait for us to get back into the Tower', etc.... I'm surprised no one hasn't just threw up a couple of construction pics on their Facebook page.

Doing any one of those things would gives us an idea of what they're doing and how long it was going to take. Everything is being done very hush hush (which is a bit unusual). Honestly, I'm tempted to peek in one of the windows to see what's going on.

No offense to jake1478, but I just realized that we all went from speculating what time they'd debut the graphics to assuming the launch would be today...

Oops.

Sorry, didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up that it would be today. My GUESS is that if they aren't today, I would assume they MAY debut next week.

Studio 5 is the normal home of the morning and noon newscasts, right? If they're keeping that, then IF we get a launch, today or any other day, they'll launch at 4:30pm.

As for the studio rebuild, when WCAU went HD I think they were in the 10! show set for five months. (Particularly excruciating because they didn't exactly have a desk.) And while it was lonnng assumed they were going HD and Look C, they never said anything until they ran a "WE ARE GOING HD" ad - and even then they were a month away. If their studio rebuild is anything like WCAU's - like, say, turning part of the newsroom into an actual studio like they did at KNTV - then a month might even be too short a time to expect a new set to be done.

And we can't rule out Valari Staab flying to Chicago, looking at the set, and saying "hell no you're not using that" like she did in New York. :p

As for the hush-hush nature of the changes, I think that's intentional. Last year at this time stations were driving around news vans and airing promos reflecting a new look and logo that never actually materialized. I think NBC wants to avoid plastering new logo and graphic elements on the stations before they're ready. WCAU, which got the most radical logo change of any of the stations, didn't use any of it on air save for an errant segment open that was quickly corrected. It was on the web before that, yeah, but with a website header that doesn't match the on-air logo (and I'm convinced that's going to be changed soon), and a mistakenly-uploaded graphic to Facebook. When they started using it on the web in earnest, it felt like some sort of gag order was lifted.

Very true...it is also possible they may wait until 10:00 for the graphics since the 4:30, 5, and 6 evening shows also use Studio 5. Only the 10:00 news uses the Tower.

Yeah but if they're building a new set in the tower, they aren't going to want to use that on one newscast. They'd move at least the evening shows back, that's for sure.

Yeah but if they're building a new set in the tower, they aren't going to want to use that on one newscast. They'd move at least the evening shows back, that's for sure.

Gosh, I'd hope so. I didn't realize they only used it at 10 pm.

They have two great locations, windowed studio and newsroom location; once they're all fixed up they should use them to their potential!

Gosh, I'd hope so. I didn't realize they only used it at 10 pm.

They have two great locations, windowed studio and newsroom location; once they're all fixed up they should use them to their potential!

Namely, use Studio 5 for all the dayside shows (Morning, Noon, and 4:30PM) and the NBC Tower Studio for the nightside ones.

They can't do anything with Studio 5 until they finish the Tower...also, they probably aren't going to get into the Tower until everything is ready to go. I'd bet alot of money that they'd switch the weather graphics before anything else.

At this point, I won't believe anything until it actually happens.

I caught the tale end of a report from Carol Marin & Mary Ann Ahern (@ 4:30) from the newsroom. Half the newsroom (where the set would be) was completely dark. The newsroom was so dimly lit in fact, I'm surprised they can even work in there.

It appeared that no work has been done to the newsroom nor was there any indication anything will be done (other than updating the logos behind the assignment desk/web center, which could have already happened).

Hopefully, they upload the report online so I can watch it again and get a better feel of things.

I'll have to check my DVR when I get home. The newsroom's lighting is on dimmers and they can change the lighting. I've seen them do that during a newscast before where the whole newroom was too bright and they dimmed the lighting. My guess if the newsroom is in-tacked then they closed it off. That is probably why it's taking forever for them to get finished because they actually closed it off and are doing something new.

Archived