NBC chicago changes?

Chicago News Boy

I'm reposting this for the next page...

PLAY-BY-PLAY

-TOWER V.1 on the election intro

-3-sided mic flags that have "CHICAGO HD" below the logo

-I don't know if anyone notices, but "HD" fades in and out to the right of the logo

-The L3 animation doesn't flow well at all

-I'm really digging the set...especially the top half of the desk that we've seen

-Old background used for Ohio school shooting story

-CRAPPY Weather Center

-The graphics are alot like KNBC's, with a few more splashes of color...I'm biased, but I think it's the most creative use of Look F yet (without a total overhaul like WCAU)

-Still using the old logo for tonight's 10pm promo

-Where the hell did they put this set? It's HUGE!

-Okay, the Weather Center isn't AS crappy as I thought it was...

-SEVEN DAY FORECAST!

-They finally achknowledged the changes

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They got lazy with the open...4:30 and 5 are exactly the same, except for the VO. Still photos really cheapen the look.

Yeah, it appears that they didn't do any trial runs/tests of a lot of things. It's as if they said, "let's just run with it and whatever happens happens."

All-in-all, the set is like a combo of Nightly News, WCAU, KNTV and a little KNBC...and somehow it works! I'm very impressed, they actually didn't do a half-assed job on anything. Set, graphics, mic flags, all on par right out of the gate!

I echo 24994J's comments. I'm shocked that they finally decided after 20 yrs. to not only drop the newsroom backdrop, but to spend some cash. I don't like Brant (or anyone for that matter) standing at the desk. Get the guy a stool or something. He's wearing a foot brace boot for goodness sake.

Rob Elgas' Facebook Page adds another view of WMAQ's new digs here:

http://www.facebook....&type=1

Apparently, Rob Elgas states that the set also has an interactive board similar to KNBC's that was installed during the Studio 10 refresh out here. He refers to this in a comment two photos to the right on this album.

I like the new NBC 5 Chicago! Better than The Tower news theme. I guess this might be The NBC Collection theme by Gari Media Group.

Nope, it's the new theme that's been making the rounds in San Diego and Philly...it's not the Gari package.

NBC5's theme is basically KNSD's open with a bumper that's a cross between KNSD and WCAU's.

My guess if the newsroom is in-tacked then they closed it off. That is probably why it's taking forever for them to get finished because they actually closed it off and are doing something new.

Now that I have seen wide shots of the set and put some pieces together, it appears you were right in suggesting that the set was enclosed/walled off from the newsroom. Makes a lot of sense to do this and is something they should have done a long time ago.

Nope, it's the new theme that's been making the rounds in San Diego and Philly...it's not the Gari package.

NBC5's theme is basically KNSD's open with a bumper that's a cross between KNSD and WCAU's.

It's not. It's the NBC O&O Package by Stephen Arnold. It's the same cuts that KNSD is using.

I live in the Chicago market! Now I get it. The theme is a cross from the KNSD and WCAU's themes. Thanks for the information!

Here's hoping all you like the set. From Allison's Facebook page...

"HI Becky! yes we have a new set and we are back now at the NBC tower. We have been at studio 5 on Michigan Avenue in the afternoon for years. Now we are back at the Tower for all our afternoon and evening shows. Hope you check it out!"

Maybe they're looking to ditch Studio 5 all together?

Archived