NBC chicago changes?

Chicago News Boy

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That snowfall projection map was used in the last storm. It's definetly a new background and technology that they haven't had before. Which is good because their weather technology is in desperate need of an upgrade! They show the same things over and over.

I'll have to check my DVR when I get home. The newsroom's lighting is on dimmers and they can change the lighting. I've seen them do that during a newscast before where the whole newroom was too bright and they dimmed the lighting. My guess if the newsroom is in-tacked then they closed it off. That is probably why it's taking forever for them to get finished because they actually closed it off and are doing something new.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking they're doing - they're closing off the part of the set used for news and turning it into a more standard looking set. The problems with having the open newsroom backdrop these days have been well documented, and NBC seems to be moving away from that idea - i.e. the new KNTV set and whatever the eventual WNBC set turns out to be. Plus, haven't they used some variation of that newsroom backdrop for the last two decades? It's probably time to move to a different look.

Yeah hopefully they will dump the newsroom look! A backdrop is better, the newsroom look to me is way to cheasy for a set. A newsroom is more meant for reports. However the way wfld did the gdc set is cool because they put in a logo, panels and a chicago backdrop off to the side. Something like gdc's set but bigger would be okay too. I just wish nbc would post pictures on their fb so we can at least understand where they are at with the studio renovations.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking they're doing - they're closing off the part of the set used for news and turning it into a more standard looking set. The problems with having the open newsroom backdrop these days have been well documented, and NBC seems to be moving away from that idea - i.e. the new KNTV set and whatever the eventual WNBC set turns out to be. Plus, haven't they used some variation of that newsroom backdrop for the last two decades? It's probably time to move to a different look.

There's no indication that they're building a wall or anything to enclose the studio. That would take up too much space which is something they don't have much of. If they're doing anything dramatic, it could be moving the desk and such (currently facing south toward the newsroom) to the opposite side (north). And yes, the newsroom has been the backdrop for 20 yrs.. They're not ones for thinking outside the box, so don't be surprised if the new set doesn't wow you.

Well, I certainly hope the new set doesn't have the newsroom as the backdrop. It has looked so depressing ever since they emptied it out.

They could be remodeling the newsroom to make it smaller (or, I'm sure as management put it, "more efficient".)

I'm positive they're doing more than just building a new set.

Who says it has to be in the newsroom? They currently have a couple empty studios in the building.. If they are ditching the newsroom look altogether, it makes a little sense to build a new set in one of the empty studios. The "studio" portion of the newsroom where the old set was is extremely small..

But it still wouldn't shock me if after all this, there are barely any changes either.. You can hand Wert and Whittaker wads of cash to purposely blow on this sort of stuff and they'll still be cheap bastards about it.

They could be remodeling the newsroom to make it smaller (or, I'm sure as management put it, "more efficient".) I'm positive they're doing more than just building a new set.

Yeah, I agree they may be re-doing more than just the set, but it's unlikely they're making the newsroom smaller. It sits in the middle surrounded by the news set, offices, the assignment desk and Telemundo 44. It's a very tiny space as is. My guess is that they may have had a plan going in and decided at some point to do more (like expand the set).

This link shows where the Telemundo 44 set is in relation to NBC 5

http://img247.images...26/2setspr4.jpg

Who says it has to be in the newsroom? They currently have a couple empty studios in the building.. If they are ditching the newsroom look altogether, it makes a little sense to build a new set in one of the empty studios.

If they were doing this, it wouldn't justify the need to move the evening newscasts to Studio 5. They would have just stayed in the Tower until the new set was finished. Just short of climbing the windows, from what I saw, they're doing something (lights are still off/dim until you get to the assignment desk area), but it's unclear just what the sticking points are as to why things aren't done yet.

Posted by Rob Elgas on Facebook:

Set the DVR! Coming up at 430 pm on NBC Chicago something you've NEVER seen before. Marion Brooks and I have a feeling you're going to love it. Rob Stafford and Allison Rosati want to share it with you too.

I was just taking a look at their Vimeo page (http://vimeo.com/user9813561), and by the looks of it, I'd say things are a go. They just posted a primetime bumper featuring the Tuesday night line-up with a summary of tonight's BL. There are also a few other goodies, like the old (soon-to-be departed) primetime bump and the first promo using the new logo.

Archived