WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

I agree that was pretty bad...I'd rather have a serious promo telling me how the forecaster is going to accurately tell me the weather than a random country twang song showing them high fiving random people on the street...Like that actually happens.

Here is a new promo called "Gotta Listen to Lonnie."

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152677428319024&set=vb.13539254023&type=2&theater

This seems like a failed attempt to copy WABC and "Weather and Heather" or "There goes that news van again." The only thing is, this is turning weather into entertainment where as WABC's was for the Morning Show and just general EWN.

Honestly, WCBS's weekend weather team should be the weekday one. They are professionals and true meteorologists as opposed to the entertainers that they have on the weekdays.

And don't get me started with the "are his sleeves up?" It literally makes no difference if Lonnie's sleeves are up or down, its all for entertainment and it just makes their weather department look mediocre.

In terms of weather, I have to hand it to WABC, WNBC and WNYW, they have what I think are the best weather teams in New York, ones that you can actually trust. Even WPIX has a pretty good team. WCBS could be good if Elise and Vanessa were the weekday meteorologists.

I like Lonnie and John, I just don't see them as serious weather-casters, John was great on The Couch and Lonnie would be great at hosting something too....

Thats just my opinion though... :)

THANK YOU for posting this...Agree 100% I strongly disliked this promo, does not promote their weather team at all. Lonnie and John are nothing put two people reading a prompter and making jokes. That's all. Elise and Vanessa actually understand the weather, and they can elaborate on it. Lonnie and John try, but its still not the same. They may appeal like they know what they're doing to the public, but they really don't in the weather world. I am actually studying meteorology and some of the things they say make me burst out in laughter. Actually I wish they brought back John Marshall and maybe an outsider and stuck them in either weekday or weekend spots and then had Lonnie and John do entertainment shows. No matter how they promote Lonnie and John, I am not gonna listen to them. Sorry, WCBS. But although the song is terrible and annoying, it does kinda stick in your head after hearing it...

And the fact that they even have to call Lonnie a weathercaster is just embarrassing. Of course it can be debated with some people that do have meteorological sense without a degree, but in reality, I think that people should not be allowed to tell the weather on TV until they get at least most of their meteorology degree. Just my opinion.

Honestly the only thing that annoyed me about the promo was the poor execution of the song- if the jingle were better, then the promo would be better. The concept is no different than anything WABC or WNBC have ever done- turning news into "entertainment."

And no offense to any of the talented meteorologists we have- but for example, Amy Freeze does the "Freeze Factor..." not scientific and it is advertised as such. But at the same time, Amy is one of, if not the most, qualified meteorologist in the market.

If WCBS found a niche in its coverage of severe weather, which is arguably very good, and Lonnie's thing is to roll up his sleeves, then so be it. It is just a way that the viewers connect with the personalities. It doesn't "make the weather department look mediocre," it is something that kind of just happened once, viewers took a liking to it, and now it's a thing- it doesn't degrade the forecasts that Lonnie and the weather team issue, it's just something for fun and connection. I would be very careful about criticizing someone like Lonnie just because he doesn't hold the degree. On principle, fine. But don't try and claim his forecasts are any less reliable than the other stations, because in the end, they are all within literally 2 degrees of each other and in the same ballpark when discussing snow, etc.

If you're going to criticize the integrity of the weather department, do it based on the actual forecasts, not a promo.

If you're going to criticize the integrity of the weather department, do it based on the actual forecasts, not a promo.

In terms of my post, my criticism towards the WCBS weather team and the promo was separate. I thought the promo was terrible and separately I was also posting my thoughts on their weather team.

As I said though, those were my opinions and as always, we can agree to disagree. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well it seems that WCBS has given in to the other stations. Their newscast seems to be going on for an hour tonight, and it was scheduled to be that way. And Steve Overmeyer said that he's doing the "Sports Update" tonight, which also airs on WLNY on weekends. Wonder if this will be permanent for Sunday nights only or the entire weekend? Interesting to say the least.

EDIT: TVguide has it listed for an hour for next Sunday night too. Not Saturday, but just Sunday. Just like WNBC.

Well it seems that WCBS has given in to the other stations. Their newscast seems to be going on for an hour tonight, and it was scheduled to be that way. And Steve Overmeyer said that he's doing the "Sports Update" tonight, which also airs on WLNY on weekends. Wonder if this will be permanent for Sunday nights only or the entire weekend? Interesting to say the least.

EDIT: TVguide has it listed for an hour for next Sunday night too. Not Saturday, but just Sunday. Just like WNBC.

This is a good development. Weekends have very little local news to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed the morning newscast also streamed this morning.

Hope they don't get lazy and give up on the live streams like they did a few years ago. (The website is run by the radio stations and TV always seems to be an afterthought for them. This is very backward to me.)

Yup...CBS 2 always doing a fine job staying ahead of the game!

EDIT: The 11pm is also streaming. Finally, seems like a permanent change.

Morning newscast is also streaming. Agree with you seems to be a permanent change. Wanted to also add they seem to be the only ones that also stream commercials the others all usually go to a blank screen.