KGO's New Look

SF is becoming the new LA and NY. All these standardized graphics except for KTVU since its not O&O. So no FOX Graphics here.

all these boxy blue, white and yellow look reminds me of their old graphics

And they are using a less glossy version of the ABC logo, interesting.

That's the new look for ABC's logo come the official launch of the fall season.

Have they started using any new music?

Nope, still using the same tired cuts of Eyewitness News from when they first switched to the package from Signature in 2006.

I have a 5pm weekend show that just finished transferring off my TiVo. I'll upload later today after I get a chance to edit it down.

Here's the open, bump to break and part of the weather graphics. They were running long so the close wasn't worth including.

Voiceover choice is a little odd as well.

Did KGO use a time/temperature bug during its daytime and evening newscasts with the previous graphics, because I don't see one here (it seems odd that a top-10 market station like KGO doesn't use a time/temp bug during all newscasts). Also, the Helvetica Condensed ABC 7 News titling on the "coming up/ahead on" banners in the bumpers looks oddly sized compared to the Helvetica Extended "COMING UP ON" or "AHEAD ON" in front of it.

Did KGO use a time/temperature bug during its daytime and evening newscasts with the previous graphics, because I don't see one here (it seems odd that a top-10 market station like KGO doesn't use a time/temp bug during all newscasts). Also, the Helvetica Condensed ABC 7 News titling on the "coming up/ahead on" banners in the bumpers looks oddly sized compared to the Helvetica Extended "COMING UP ON" or "AHEAD ON" in front of it.

I didn't think it was possible, but KGO managed to cheapen the package in my view. In regards to the time and temp, the California stations don't tend to do show it...KABC only started showing it regularly for maybe a year, KCBS didn't show it unti they standardized in 2010, and KNTV in SF still doesn't use it.

In regards to the time and temp, the California stations don't tend to do show it...KABC only started showing it regularly for maybe a year, KCBS didn't show it unti they standardized in 2010, and KNTV in SF still doesn't use it.

Really? Based on what I've seen on live streams, I know that KTTV, KTLA, KRON and KSWB have time/temp bugs during every newscast (though in KRON's case, they show the time and instead of the temperature, they show current conditions and forecasts for Bay Area cities on a ticker, much like what KTVU does only during its morning newscasts).

KGO's previous package did *not* have a time and temp bug, and the circle seven bug was transparent whenever an L3 wasn't on screen. Showing the temperature here is rather pointless anyway because it can vary so much depending on where you are (it could be in the 60s in the city but pushing 90s inland).

KGO's previous package did *not* have a time and temp bug, and the circle seven bug was transparent whenever an L3 wasn't on screen. Showing the temperature here is rather pointless anyway because it can vary so much depending on where you are (it could be in the 60s in the city but pushing 90s inland).

If that's the case, then stations in areas of California where temperature variations are more prevalent could incorporate an on-screen bug that's formatted like the one used by KCPQ/Seattle, and show rotating current temperatures for various cities in the viewing area.

Also, the Helvetica Condensed ABC 7 News titling on the "coming up/ahead on" banners in the bumpers looks oddly sized compared to the Helvetica Extended "COMING UP ON" or "AHEAD ON" in front of it.

They've fixed that. It's all set in varying weights of Helvetica Extended now.

They need to ditch the Eurostile "News" font in the logo. It's totally out of place!

Agreed, but this is classic KGO—they always keep a foot in the past. They've been absolutely married to the Eurostile typeface since 2005 and I'm not surprised that it's still clinging on in the open.

Really? Based on what I've seen on live streams, I know that KTTV, KTLA, KRON and KSWB have time/temp bugs during every newscast (though in KRON's case, they show the time and instead of the temperature, they show current conditions and forecasts for Bay Area cities on a ticker, much like what KTVU does only during its morning newscasts).

The Los Angeles stations make a bit more sense, but I don't understand why KSWB bothers to include a temperature in the bug since San Diego has nearly identical microclimates as the Bay Area, with wild temperature swings between coastal and inland areas. Granted it's not as quite as varied as here in the Bay, but it can still be 15-20 degrees warmer in inland areas.

In slightly related news, KGO was still using the same crawl from the previous package on today's morning newscast—complete with the Eurostile typeface. It looked absolutely horrible on screen with the new graphics, and they really need to update it soon.

The Los Angeles stations make a bit more sense, but I don't understand why KSWB bothers to include a temperature in the bug since San Diego has nearly identical microclimates as the Bay Area, with wild temperature swings between coastal and inland areas. Granted it's not as quite as varied as here in the Bay, but it can still be 15-20 degrees warmer in inland areas.

The space where the time/temp is displayed is part of KSWB's logo/bug, so in essence, if they did not display either it would just be a blue bar. I suppose they could add NEWS to the bottom to replace the time/temp bug, but who knows. In regards to temperature displays, I never understood why they would put them up, if they don't tell the viewer where the reading is from. For those stations who put the temp on screen, one would think that its the actual temp in Downtown when in reality its the temperature outside of their studios. Go figure.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the voiceover is Roger Rose of WLS.

Oh, how I wish you were. :p

And I never thought this package was "cheap". It's fresh and distinctive, typical of their CSD, Wendy McMahon. I REALLY like how they play with the circle-7 in that package - it's more or less the basis of the design. And I actually think some of the stuff in the KGO version improves upon it - I definitely don't think it's a "cheapening". I REALLY like how they're doing the circle-7 animation, with it "writing on" rather than the animation they use on KABC. I think the design quirks might have to do with the hardware - this is VizRT, right? The old ones didn't look like they ran on that. I wish they could have gotten equally contemporary music, but Eyewitness News is "the ABC local news theme (except in Philadelphia)", and I don't think Gari could be able to mimic inthegroove or modern Stephen Arnold. But overall, I think it's a good package. KGO could have done worse.

And so ABC is ditching the "gloss" logo? THANK GOD. I never got why they kept pushing it, because unless you're Troika or the network graphics department, you're never gonna get that looking right in your open animations. (WPVI kind of didn't even try.) This also means they're finally ditching the "start here" stuff they've used for eons at this point. Time for something new.

Is there anything of record stating that the logo is changing? I've been looking around, and can't find anything in regards to a switch...one would think that at least some of the fall promos would be using the modified logo. And, I must say, KGO seems to have been all over the place in the last 15 years when it comes to their logo - shiny, flat, both, and whatever that blue one is from last year...

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/KGO-TV

Is it possible that KGO thinks that a flater logo looks better with the KABC graphics?

Is there anything of record stating that the logo is changing? I've been looking around, and can't find anything in regards to a switch...one would think that at least some of the fall promos would be using the modified logo. And, I must say, KGO seems to have been all over the place in the last 15 years when it comes to their logo - shiny, flat, both, and whatever that blue one is from last year...

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/KGO-TV

Is it possible that KGO thinks that a flater logo looks better with the KABC graphics?

I think that report may be valid. Several Scripps Station have debuted their new GFX Package with the "New" Black Pearl aka ABC Logo in recent weeks. I did find that interesting because on their facebook pages WLS-TV and KTRK-TV updated to the Glossy Logo after all these years of the 3D Non Glossy Logo. So I'm going to say, thats the new logo....

A2DOyoiCYAI6aGn.jpg

And I never thought this package was "cheap". It's fresh and distinctive, typical of their CSD, Wendy McMahon. I REALLY like how they play with the circle-7 in that package - it's more or less the basis of the design. And I actually think some of the stuff in the KGO version improves upon it - I definitely don't think it's a "cheapening".

I agree. I always thought that the KABC implementation looked messy with the time and temp bug on top and a Facebook and Twitter bug underneath. The only thing that needs to be changed is the gradient in the lower third— it looks like Hothaus was trying to tame the L3s to look more like traditional ones. The L3s would look a lot better without it.

A new set would be nice too, but I'm not expecting that anytime soon...

Archived