ABC Debuting New Look Tonight for World News

TSSZNews

Just a heads up--the World News FB page posted the new set pic below. It'll debut at 6:30 ET.

56894_10151111865679818_160136404_o.jpg

So new set, new graphics, and according to one of the affiliate's FB pages, a new theme by Hans Zimmer.

Full HuffPost article on it here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/abc-world-news-new-theme-graphics_n_1930483.html

It has the new logo for World News Tonight (and I will still call it World News Tonight god dammit). The motif looks really, really interesting. Squares instead of globes? That's a pretty imaginative idea. If nothing else it'll look different than the darker motif of Nightly News and the traditional look on CBS. The glossier logo? Ehhh, not so much.

I'm much, much, MUCH more interested in the new music. They got Hans Zimmer to do it. I'm wondering if it's going to be another reorchestration of the 1978 themes or something new altogether. (The sig will remain either way.) I'm surprised they went for a big composer - they've had DreamArtists Studios do most of their themes lately.

Two minutes away so we'll see what they do...

The look is better than I thought. LOVE the new headline bumper and the way they do headlines; very powerful. Really wish they had kept the '78 melody, I like the orchestration though; I would've thought it was DreamArtists if I didn't know any better.

Much improved lower third graphics. Not a fan of the cartoon-y graphics, which are already a staple on GMA. And the color scheme seems maybe too... patriotic? I like that they're going for a powerful, modern look, but really... way too cartoon-y.

Quick critiques.

The open is spectacular.

the graphics are.... brighter. They're back to DIN for the main font, which is a good choice. But those story opener graphics are extremely tacky and awful. And I think they need to rework the opening tease transitions.

Also, does the ABC News logo need to be on all of the lower thirds?

I think at this point you have to question the name "World News", when the open shows the United States almost exclusively and the graphics are unabashedly red, white, and blue. It's definitely gotten more US-centric than it EVER was when Peter was there.

And the theme... hmm. Mixed thoughts. The Kalehoff theme was getting extremely tired, and it clashed with Presidential Persuasion. I'm not exactly sure this is the correct replacement, though. The theme is too quiet during the open until the end, when we're already in the studio shot. It also doesn't fit with any of ABC's other themes, which are mostly very fast paced and upbeat. Hell, I'm not too sure it fits with these graphics. The bumper music is nice but it also seems... off.

It's an improvement, I think, but too bad the quality of that newscast has severely declined. I was an ABC viewer for years - now it's BriWi or Pelley for me. Neither is as flashy (CBS really should look at changing those graphics - keep the Trivers/Myers theme though), but I like the story selection and presentation better (I'm impressed with Pelley in particular). For example, what was ABC's lead is buried near the end of the CBS Evening News.

Looks like a step backward to me, not at all impressed with the cubes. Logo looks very tacky, as mentioned above. That said I wasn't too impressed with what they had going before. Opens were nice, but in-show graphics were disappointing.

I have to agree with everyone's views on the newscast under Diane Sawyer. I think it's long time that they revert back to the World News Tonight. The broadcast lacks emphasis on the days real news. I've recently turned to Scott Pelley who I really enjoy.

I have to agree with everyone's views on the newscast under Diane Sawyer. I think it's long time that they revert back to the World News Tonight. The broadcast lacks emphasis on the days real news. I've recently turned to Scott Pelley who I really enjoy.

Well they can't be doing too badly since they've made some respectable grounds against Brian Williams and company over there at NBC...

I agree with a lot of what HulkieD had to say. The "ABC News" tab on the lower-third just takes up too much space, especially when it's already in the rotating ABC/ABC News/ABCNews.com bug (that thing is so distracting). And the "World News" title is laughable.

When I first caught the graphics tonight (before seeing this thread), I figured it was a change for the final weeks of the election with all of the red, white and blue. Surprised that this is supposedly the look to go beyond that.

Edit: I also want to add that I don't like how the logo appears to be curved or titled slightly. If you take a look at the ABC part of the logo, it just looks off to me, as if the left side and top are farther away.

Well they can't be doing too badly since they've made some respectable grounds against Brian Williams and company over there at NBC...

The bigger story may be Scott Pelley's gains on abc. Diane is a good journalist, anchor however not so much.

The bigger story may be Scott Pelley's gains on abc. Diane is a good journalist, anchor however not so much.

I've got to admit, as superficial as it sounds, I've started to watch the CBS Evening News a lot more now since Katie Couric left. Scott Pelley seems to have been a perfect fit as her successor.

Um. Yuck! I want World News Tonight back! Not this pollocky World News with Diane Sawyer. I want the solid theme and a strong graphics package. I don't want a stringy orchestral piece with graphics that look like a mix game of dominos and minesweeper. I'm sticking with BriWi on the Wifi. Cause that's solid.

Opening and bumpers are pretty cool... Everything else just looks like its hyper, dumbed down domestic news... and, as an ABC fan, that is what WORLD NEWS has sadly become under Diane. When Peter Jennings was anchor, he always reminded his staff that the broadcast was called WORLD NEWS TONIGHT... Not US news. It's sad to see how far the newscast has fallen journalistically.

I don't get the over the top patriotic color scheme, especially for a show that's supposed to focus on the world and not one country. I don't get all the fluff news in a newscast that's supposed to be about international affairs.

This reminds me of 1996 when corporate bosses forced the WNT staff to do more family aka fluff oriented stories and change the theme to a lighter sounding orchestra version of the ABC News theme. Ratings plunged and within 2 years, they were back to hard news and serious theme music again. Hopefully it takes less than 2 years to correct this.

I LOVE the open, but the theme will take a little time to get use to (I want to hear a proper close before final judgement). Get the rid of the huge ABC News logo on the L3's and they wouldn't be too bad, The red, white and blue bars in the headline cue sorta works on This Week, but not on World News. I don't mind what they did to the set, it matches the graphics and the previous configuration was WAY TOO BLUE by the end. The OTS can be tossed whenever they see fit (the sooner the better). The blue-ish background on the big screen would be better for the whole package, then get rid of the blue box from the logo, make the text white and straighten the whole thing out.

When it comes down to it, the previous package was gorgeous when it first came out, but had gone a little long in the tooth. So, change for the sake of chnage? No, but it could've been better.

Did I mention I LOVE the open?

Here's the open...

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/abc-world-news-diane-sawyer-headlines-17370372

Bleh. Bland and uninspired "RAH RAH USA USA".

And is anyone else bothered by the half-second pause between "ABC News... ...world headquarters." It sounds like announcer dude forgot what he was going to say halfway through the opening spiel.

The graphics are nice, but catching tonight's edition of World News and seeing bits of last night's edition on ABCNews.com, whomever the person they replaced Mike Rowe with as the voiceover for the main open sounds a little... sinister with how he enunciates "from ABC News world headquarters, this is ABC World News with Diane Sawyer". He sounds like he's doing a creepy impression of Don LaFontaine.

Reminds me a *bit* of the Channel 4 news opener from the UK in overall graphics style. Guessing the red, white, and blue color scheme is to offset research that probably shows ABC News skews a little "left". Not a fan of the voiceover either!

I used to watch World News Tonight every night when Peter Jennings was at the helm. Even though the old ABC News theme was considered to be tired and dated, it gave the seriousness and attention that World News Tonight deserved. When Peter Jennings passed away I really thought they would name Charles sole anchor and they would keep the visual elements of WNT. When Elizabeth and Bob were named co-anchors, well I got used to them but image wise, they went down the toilet when they switched graphics. And I can't stand Diane as an anchor. It looks like she is going to burst crying at any moment with her calm and tragedy filled voice. Same with the new announcer here. That's why when Peter passed away and the Elizabeth/Bob team changed, I changed to CBS. I must also agree with the posts above that CBS Evening News after Kaplan was brought in to EP the show and now with Scott Pelley and Miss Patricia, the show is even more solid.

The graphics and the new announcer remind me so much of Inside Edition. Which fits well with the content of the program...

Exactly! World Newsmagazine with Diane Sawyer. "Will Tom Cruise get divorced? Do diet pill really work? Find out next!"

Exactly! World Newsmagazine with Diane Sawyer. "Will Tom Cruise get divorced? Do diet pill really work? Find out next!"

LOL! I didn't even know how to respond when they continued to cover every new development in the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes story. Also kind of tired of every Friday being a nostalgia Friday with Diane celebrating some movie, movie or tv shows anniversary.

Archived