NBC's Subchannels Getting "COZI"

24994J

"BOB TV" will not be hitting the airwaves to replace the NBC "Nonstop" channels come January...and that is good. Instead, the X.2 channels will be rebranded as "COZI TV", a classic tv network in the style of MeTV, Antenna TV and the 1990's TV Land.

Now, the article does not indicate where on the digital dial "COZI" will fall, but I think it's a fairly safe bet that "Nonstop" will hit the proverbial wall on New Years Day.

http://timeoutchicag...digital-network

With a little snooping around the internet, it seems as if this is the first report of the new channel, and NBC has yet to confirm the launch.

This is exactly what we need!!! Another useless TV Land ripoff!!!

NBC sure is thinking outside the box here!!!

That said, couldn't this be replacing Universal Sports? There's no mention that Nonstop is going away...

This is exactly what we need!!! Another useless TV Land ripoff!!!

NBC sure is thinking outside the box here!!!

That said, couldn't this be replacing Universal Sports? There's no mention that Nonstop is going away...

That's what I'm thinking. The .3 channel (at least here anyway) is just dead air.

This is probably the national replacement for Nonstop.

The plans for a national Nonstop were announced at the end of last year, but around July TheWrap began reporting that the refocused network would feature classic repeats in addition to the Nonstop lifestyle stuff - I believe the plans were reruns during the day and the lifestyle stuff at night. Stations would still be permitted to substitute their own programming (read: the local news) in place of some of the networked stuff, but those wouldn't be aired across the network. And yes, one of the proposed names was "Bob TV".

But if Feder's right about the schedule, something changed between July and now. Since it remains unannounced, that leaves a range of possibilities:

1. NBC renames Nonstop to COZI, adding the repeats but keeping at least some of the Nonstop programming, as per the Wrap report.
  2. NBC replaces Nonstop with COZI, which would be an all-classic TV channel featuring none of the Nonstop programming, as Feder suggests.
  3. NBC keeps Nonstop in some form, but launches COZI on another subchannel.

Either of these three options is feasible. Option 1 is essentially what NBC was planning to begin with, and it'd keep some of the flavor of Nonstop while lessening the burden on the station. Option 2 could be either way - the all-repeats network thing has to be lucrative if there's so many of them, and it would free the stations entirely from having to program the subchannel while squeezing some more revenue out of the NBCU library. But they're running national contests for the existing Nonstop format, and they have a number of units producing stuff for the existing network that would have nothing to do if it went. So I can see door number 3 happening, where they can reap the benefit of a low-cost rerun channel while retaining the lifestyle programming (and giving LX.TV and Studio Ten something to do).

My gut leans towards #1, however. The name COZI just seems like it works too well for both lifestyle and classic repeats, so I'm sure there's more to the schedule than just repeats.

They couldn't have just affiliated with MeTV, RTN or Antenna TV? They really had to start their own?

MeTV has an incredible offering when it comes to retro television. I would hope COZI, since it will be run by NBC, will dig deep and find some stuff that hasn't run its course on cable or other retro nets (Lucy, Matlock, etc). Show me some Ironside!

They couldn't have just affiliated with MeTV, RTN or Antenna TV? They really had to start their own?

I think the question isn't "They really had to start their own?" as much as it is "they waited this long to start their own?"

NBCUniversal has one of the biggest libraries of television series in the world. If you just programmed the channel with stuff from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, you'd have enough to last for years. While a lot of those are licensed out, if NBC is able to get enough of them back, they could conceivably earn quite a lot off the library with comparatively little investment.

Honestly, I'm half-surprised that CBS hasn't done this yet. I think CBS' back catalog consists of, well, basically everything. If CBS could pull something together and put it on as a digital channel, they'd have a goldmine.

As of my favorite... well, whatever one winds up with MacGyver or Quantum Leap automatically wins.

As much as I'd like to see some really old stuff from the archives, I have the strangest feeling NBC will invest as little money as possible in this and won't dig any further back than things that are on a format they can still digitize themselves.

As much as I'd like to see some really old stuff from the archives, I have the strangest feeling NBC will invest as little money as possible in this and won't dig any further back than things that are on a format they can still digitize themselves.

How do we know the majority of the NBCUni library isn't digitized?

They own a million cable channels that, in large part, subsist on their vast programming archives. They already have a lot of stuff on some of these other retronets, they have them all on Netflix, and obviously they have a bunch of cable networks subsisting on their programming. I'd be surprised if it took more than minimal effort to do this, and it's being controlled by Valari Staab who's pretty much shown by this point that she doesn't settle for "minimal effort".

Obviously we're not going to see stuff like Law and Order since that's licensed out, and obviously they're not going to dig into the depths of their archive for stuff like Out of This World, but perhaps we'll see stuff like Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman (as the leaked schedule seems to indicate), and maybe they'll convince Syfy to let them have The Incredible Hulk inbetween their random weekday marathons.

On the subject of the leaked schedule, I'm surprised Charlie's Angels is apparently one of the shows they licensed, because Sony has the rights to it. Aren't they partners with Tribune in AntennaTV?

Wonder if WVIT will be on board with this or continue with their 24/7 weather channel? The article says "all 10 NBC-owned stations" however WVIT's missed a couple of these .2 channel swaps over the years.

It's not that they opted out, it was that they were the last of the stations on the list to get a Nonstop. By the time they were supposed to launch, NBC was looking at tweaking it into a national service, so they decided to put WVIT's launch on hold until the revamp was completed. If COZI is the revamped Nonstop, then WVIT will launch the channel when it comes on air.

This is probably the national replacement for Nonstop.

The plans for a national Nonstop were announced at the end of last year, but around July TheWrap began reportingthat the refocused network would feature classic repeats in addition to the Nonstop lifestyle stuff - I believe the plans were reruns during the day and the lifestyle stuff at night. Stations would still be permitted to substitute their own programming (read: the local news) in place of some of the networked stuff, but those wouldn't be aired across the network. And yes, one of the proposed names was "Bob TV".

But if Feder's right about the schedule, something changed between July and now. Since it remains unannounced, that leaves a range of possibilities:

1. NBC renames Nonstop to COZI, adding the repeats but keeping at least some of the Nonstop programming, as per the Wrap report.

2. NBC replaces Nonstop with COZI, which would be an all-classic TV channel featuring none of the Nonstop programming, as Feder suggests.

3. NBC keeps Nonstop in some form, but launches COZI on another subchannel.

Either of these three options is feasible. Option 1 is essentially what NBC was planning to begin with, and it'd keep some of the flavor of Nonstop while lessening the burden on the station. Option 2 could be either way - the all-repeats network thing has to be lucrative if there's so many of them, and it would free the stations entirely from having to program the subchannel while squeezing some more revenue out of the NBCU library. But they're running national contests for the existing Nonstop format, and they have a number of units producing stuff for the existing network that would have nothing to do if it went. So I can see door number 3 happening, where they can reap the benefit of a low-cost rerun channel while retaining the lifestyle programming (and giving LX.TV and Studio Ten something to do).

My gut leans towards #1, however. The name COZI just seems like it works too well for both lifestyle and classic repeats, so I'm sure there's more to the schedule than just repeats.

It's official now, COZI will replace NBC Nonstop: http://www.mediabist...channels_b66860

A couple of questions:

1. Are they going to market COZI TV as a subchannel-only network for just NBC stations, or market it to affiliates of other networks like Me-TV and Antenna TV have done? The latter two networks also have (or in Antenna TV's case, had) their own standalone primary affiliates as well.

2. How will the network affect NBCUniversal's existing program distribution agreements with Me-TV and Antenna TV?

2. How will the network affect NBCUniversal's existing program distribution agreements with Me-TV and Antenna TV?

I wonder if the licensing of some Sony properties to COZI TV might be a sort of deal done the same time as NBCU's with Antenna? A trade-off, potentially?

NBC renames Nonstop to COZI, adding the repeats but keeping at least some of the Nonstop programming, as per the Wrap report.

Called it. :D

Have to say - the branding actually looks really, really good. Meredith kind of just rambles on, but it makes sense - a mix of lifestyle, classic TV, and local programming. I think this has a shot at succeeding.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived