Today Show viewers!

MorningNews

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's how to right the ship at TODAY:

1. Complete re-vamp of studio 1A. The set from 1985-1990 should be the blueprint. Skyline background and TODAY logo behind the anchors, living room set for interviews. Viewers in the 80s knew that the living room of the TODAY show was where the newsmakers of the day would be. Time to get back to that.

2. Dump Matt, Natalie, & Savannah. Matt's time has past, and Natalie and Savannah are just as dull as Ann was.

3. Bring in Willie Geist, Tamron Hall, and Erica Hill as co-anchors of the first 2 hours with each of them splitting the news anchoring duties. Hoda & Kathie Lee can have the last 2 hours, but they should add a male host. I enjoyed Jason Kennedy from E! when he filled in for Willie on the third hour recently. He'd be a great addition.

4. First 2 hours should be news heavy, with a few fluff pieces sprinkled in for variety. The last 2 hours should be geared toward entertainment, cooking, fashion, etc. Al can still do the weather.

NBC can give Matt Rock Center (i'm sure Brian wont mind) or throw him a ton of $$$ to just go away. I'm sure his old buddy Jeff Zucker will give him a job at CNN, so he'll be ok. Savannah can still do her legal thing, be primary substitute for Meet the Press, and takeover weekend Nightly News to give Lester a break. Make Natalie a correspondent. If the producers of TODAY want to make the show more "upbeat and uplifting" as they say in the New York magazine article, start with the talent. Its past time to freshen this show up with more vibrant hosts. The current cast is just way too boring and stale.

I think drastic changes would just do more damage. There's a few million viewers who are still enjoying the current team..why alienate them for the sake of the 500K lost and risk losing them all? Lets keep in mind, the show is still a very strong and very profitable #2. We're not talking about a program that has sunk to the bottom of the ratings basement like CBS' various morning shows have.

I also think that at the very least that Matt needs to go. Anderson Cooper may be a good fit for the job but will he lack chemistry with Savannah and the other team members. If Cooper does replace Matt I would like to see Erica Hill get the promotion and become co-anchor alongside him, as i personally also think Savannah isnt right for the show. To me, as much as i like her, Natalie also lacks chemistry with (some) anchors, more so with Matt, but then maybe thats because of the suspected affair she ad with him. She is great when hosting with Willie, that would also be a good pairing for the show. David Gregory is also mentioned in the article but i do not think he is the right fit for the show, he is best on MTP.

So resuming all of that up Matt should go, he already is on the list of replacements for Jeopardy hosts so if he goes he will most likely rise further up the list, and Savannah should also go, give her the role that Ann Curry currently holds and promote Ann to co-anchor of Nightly News (European Style)*.

Possible Pairings;

• Anderson and Natalie
  • Anderson and Erica
  • Willie and Morales
  • Willie and Savannah
  • Anderson and Hoda
  • Willie and Hoda

Set wise as i said in previous posts, yes MAJOR changes are needed, maybe even dumping the desk?

*heres hopping

Here's how to right the ship at TODAY:

1. Complete re-vamp of studio 1A. The set from 1985-1990 should be the blueprint. Skyline background and TODAY logo behind the anchors, living room set for interviews. Viewers in the 80s knew that the living room of the TODAY show was where the newsmakers of the day would be. Time to get back to that.

2. Dump Matt, Natalie, & Savannah. Matt's time has past, and Natalie and Savannah are just as dull as Ann was.

3. Bring in Willie Geist, Tamron Hall, and Erica Hill as co-anchors of the first 2 hours with each of them splitting the news anchoring duties. Hoda & Kathie Lee can have the last 2 hours, but they should add a male host. I enjoyed Jason Kennedy from E! when he filled in for Willie on the third hour recently. He'd be a great addition.

4. First 2 hours should be news heavy, with a few fluff pieces sprinkled in for variety. The last 2 hours should be geared toward entertainment, cooking, fashion, etc. Al can still do the weather.

NBC can give Matt Rock Center (i'm sure Brian wont mind) or throw him a ton of $$$ to just go away. I'm sure his old buddy Jeff Zucker will give him a job at CNN, so he'll be ok. Savannah can still do her legal thing, be primary substitute for Meet the Press, and takeover weekend Nightly News to give Lester a break. Make Natalie a correspondent. If the producers of TODAY want to make the show more "upbeat and uplifting" as they say in the New York magazine article, start with the talent. Its past time to freshen this show up with more vibrant hosts. The current cast is just way too boring and stale.

Tamron Hall is a cable personality. She'd probably have a bigger ego than Matt and wouldn't have much chemistry with other talent.

I don't see Erica Hill joining the weekday editions of Today for a while. I think that viewers still kind of associate her with CBS.

Deadline is hearing that NBC may be looking for replacements for Matt' date=' recently talking with Anderson Cooper.

NBC should try to work with what they have before looking externally. Having Cooper replace Matt would reek of desperation.

I also think that at the very least that Matt needs to go. Anderson Cooper may be a good fit for the job but will he lack chemistry with Savannah and the other team members. If Cooper does replace Matt I would like to see Erica Hill get the promotion and become co-anchor alongside him, as i personally also think Savannah isnt right for the show. To me, as much as i like her, Natalie also lacks chemistry with (some) anchors, more so with Matt, but then maybe thats because of the suspected affair she ad with him. She is great when hosting with Willie, that would also be a good pairing for the show. David Gregory is also mentioned in the article but i do not think he is the right fit for the show, he is best on MTP.

So resuming all of that up Matt should go, he already is on the list of replacements for Jeopardy hosts so if he goes he will most likely rise further up the list, and Savannah should also go, give her the role that Ann Curry currently holds and promote Ann to co-anchor of Nightly News (European Style)*.

Possible Pairings;

• Anderson and Natalie
  • Anderson and Erica
  • Willie and Morales
  • Willie and Savannah
  • Anderson and Hoda
  • Willie and Hoda

Set wise as i said in previous posts, yes MAJOR changes are needed, maybe even dumping the desk?

*heres hopping

No way Brian Williams is sharing a desk. I think NBC should give Ann a global affairs show like Amanpour has on CNN International. Have it replace an edition of Dateline. They should also make her a national correspondent.

Today show is poised to win demo last week! Seems like people are going back to today in the Demo anyway. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/the-ticker-nbc-edition-nbcu-vets-cnbcyahoo-today-poised-for-demo-win_b172395

That's really nothing new. Yes, that's a wider margin than we've seen recently, but the demo has been back and forth for several months.

• 3 weeks later...

Was anyone else seriously impressed by Savannah Guthrie's performance on Friday?

Seriously - since Lauer was at the West, TX explosion, she had to cover what was probably the most hectic news morning in years essentially by herself. And she did so with absolute poise and grace.

With all the problems they have over at Today, she's at least the one bright spot. It's too bad that Lauer is so dominant on that show, because she has serious chops.

Has anybody heard rumors of TODAY starting to start at 6AM soon?

Where did you hear that? ...Unless you're referencing the TVNT tweet from Friday, cause that was for the Boston coverage.

I do think that NBC made a big mistake when commissioning music, as they appear to have got each piece made as a solid track, rather than a pad and a logo (which would have worked better). Also I think the silent pre title is quite good, sounds very serious.

Archived