Today Show viewers!

MorningNews

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And in response to the poster above' date=' [b']the previous theme has been around in some form since 1985, so its 27 years old.[/b] How many nes programs do you know that have had the same music for almost 30 years? It was past time for a change. Hope a new set is next. Hopefully a return to the 80s skyline background/living room set, aka "Bryant's apartment!"

Great music is timeless. The previous Today theme is a great piece of news music.

Great music is timeless. The previous Today theme is a great piece of news music.

However, I wouldn't call the new theme cheap, either. To those who think it's kinda one-dimensional, I personally think that it's more complex than the old theme. Whether or not the show needed a change, they could've done FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR worse.

I think Meredith's reason for leaving was geniune though. Doesn't her husband have MS or some other type of uncureable disease, as well as children who are about to be in college or are in college? I doubt her schedule would've left her much time to be with any of them, what, with waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning almost every day and having to be in bed at 6pm and all...

She also just doesn't seem like someone who would fabricate emotions. I really did like her.

It just gets worse. The New York Times posted yesterday that Matt Lauer's "Q" rating (I dunno what the hell that is) is from a 19 to a 9, while ABC's Stephenopolous has a higher score.

It also mentions rumor mill that either 9am host Geist or MTP's Gregory could replace Lauer. But I don't think Matt is going to leave that quickly.

Though I don't like Matt, why has there been no mention of Savannah? She's terrible on the show. It always comes off as her trying way too hard. It's very dissapointing to watch how Savannah acts on the program and shes called a "perfect fit". Yet Ann Curry who was great, just not a great fit with Matt was considered a disaster. If the shows executives were serious about doing what's best for Today then they would admit that after nearly 2 decades it's time for someone else to take Matt's spot and send Savannah packing somewhere else like MTP where she does great when she fills in.

Though I don't like Matt, why has there been no mention of Savannah? She's terrible on the show. It always comes off as her trying way too hard. It's very dissapointing to watch how Savannah acts on the program and shes called a "perfect fit". Yet Ann Curry who was great, just not a great fit with Matt was considered a disaster. If the shows executives were serious about doing what's best for Today then they would admit that after nearly 2 decades it's time for someone else to take Matt's spot and send Savannah packing somewhere else like MTP where she does great when she fills in.

For the record, be it Willie or Lester (but not as much with David), I don't mind Savannah when she's paired with ANYONE else.

For the record, be it Willie or Lester (but not as much with David), I don't mind Savannah when she's paired with ANYONE else.

I don't watch as often as many of you but when I do watch her with Matt she seems to play the role of Matt's little helper, Katie, Meredith or Ann weren't that way. With that being said I have enjoyed the few times I've seen her and Willie. I just think Willie brings alot of fresh air to that entire program, Lester Holt as well.

I don't watch as often as many of you but when I do watch her with Matt she seems to play the role of Matt's little helper, Katie, Meredith or Ann were that way. With that being said I have enjoyed the few times I've seen her and Willie. I just think Willie brings alot of fresh air to that entire program, Lester Holt as well.

I never got the impression that Katie was Matt's sidekick. I feel that Katie, having been a Today anchor for slightly longer, helped Matt become comfortable in his role as coanchor. This made it easy for him to become the face of the show when Katie left.

Personally, I don't hate Matt like some may. But his on air demeanor is slightly pretentious. This demeanor is partly a product of being a key part of a very successful period in the long history of America's pioneering morning news show. But I also sense that Matt wants to move on from the show because he desires more serious work.

I don't necessarily hate Matt, but not at all a fan of his either. I actually thought the show began its slow downward spiral back in 06 when Katie left. I had watched faithfully throughout Bryant and Jane then watched Good Morning America until Charlie and Joan left. Matt and Katie were pretty good, I liked Meredith but felt that when she joined Matts attitude went south. He began to act as if he was above all and I'm just not a fan of that. Katie did a great job keeping him in line and Meredith did well too. Ann was good at least in my opinion just not good paired with Lauer and during his pairing with Ann his EGO swelled to levels that just became too much to wake up to for me at least. Matt Savannah Natalie and Al, whomever decided that they would make a good morning team should be fired as well.

I never got the impression that Katie was Matt's sidekick. I feel that Katie, having been a Today anchor for slightly longer, helped Matt become comfortable in his role as coanchor. This made it easy for him to become the face of the show when Katie left.

Personally, I don't hate Matt like some may. But his on air demeanor is slightly pretentious. This demeanor is partly a product of being a key part of a very successful period in the long history of America's pioneering morning news show. But I also sense that Matt wants to move on from the show because he desires more serious work.

I agree as well. To at least what it seemed to me on-air, Katie and Matt embodied the meaning of "co-anchors." That chemistry that they had as an anchor team, must have had a major impact to Today's reign in the morning show ratings.

I also got the impression when Meredith started that Today became more of an ensemble (with Al, Ann, Natalie), than just Matt and Meredith, something that to me, did not seem to exist that obviously in the preceding era. So it made sense to milk the "family" image when Ann became co-anchor. Looking back, I remember thinking that while it was a great promotion for her, she didn't fit in the mold that Today had established (which was being able to be the news person and fluff person too) and how viewers saw her for the most part as the news anchor. At that point and still now, Ann has a high credibility when it comes to reporting and the hard news stories. I just think that credibility clashed with what Today was when she was a co-anchor. Nevertheless, her departure should not have been mishandled in the manner it unfolded, especially to someone that worked at the program for sixteen years. It sent a signal to the viewers that she was the sole reason of the ratings decline.

From there, the ensemble, "family" image was tarnished and the blame game begins... which turned to the executives and Matt. It's a shame for Matt though because he was involved in one of the most seamless transitions when he became co-anchor to probably one of the 'messiest'. But one has to wonder though if he wants to move to serious news... because I think he is capable. One thing to keep in mind too is that since 1980, Today has only had three male anchors.

I agree as well. To at least what it seemed to me on-air, Katie and Matt embodied the meaning of "co-anchors." That chemistry that they had as an anchor team, must have had a major impact to Today's reign in the morning show ratings.

I also got the impression when Meredith started that Today became more of an ensemble (with Al, Ann, Natalie), than just Matt and Meredith, something that to me, did not seem to exist that obviously in the preceding era. So it made sense to milk the "family" image when Ann became co-anchor. Looking back, I remember thinking that while it was a great promotion for her, she didn't fit in the mold that Today had established (which was being able to be the news person and fluff person too) and how viewers saw her for the most part as the news anchor. At that point and still now, Ann has a high credibility when it comes to reporting and the hard news stories. I just think that credibility clashed with what Today was when she was a co-anchor. Nevertheless, her departure should not have been mishandled in the manner it unfolded, especially to someone that worked at the program for sixteen years. It sent a signal to the viewers that she was the sole reason of the ratings decline.

From there, the ensemble, "family" image was tarnished and the blame game begins... which turned to the executives and Matt. It's a shame for Matt though because he was involved in one of the most seamless transitions when he became co-anchor to probably one of the 'messiest'. But one has to wonder though if he wants to move to serious news... because I think he is capable. One thing to keep in mind too is that since 1980, Today has only had three male anchors.

And 6 female anchors during that same time period. Since the producers continue to find a new direction for the show what about returning to what the show used to be? Anyone remember the credibility and respect the show carried during the Brokaw/Pauley/Gumbel era?

You know, you can make a good argument for tradition. And "The Mission" is probably one of, if not the best, pieces of television music ever composed.

But... it's been years since the show's bumper and secondary cues were based off of "The Mission". And in the last few years, they developed a really, really strong sonic signature. It always bugged me that everything had this unified sound... except the most visible and important cue, the open. It felt like they were just using it because they've always used it. This isn't limited to Today - I couldn't stand how World News Tonight was mixing Presidential Persuasion and other random cues with the Kalehoff open. (This is not an endorsement of the pathetic new Hans Zimmer music.)

Moreover, I LOVE the new music. That open is strong, triumphant, and heroic. On the whole, the Adam Gubman/Non-Stop music cues they've been using have been excellent. I saw someone on networknewsmusic.com deriding the replacement of John Williams with Non-Stop, but the big orchestral feel is very much in line with The Mission. Plus, Non-Stop composed that great GMA theme from the height of the Gibson/Lunden era, so it's not like they've done bad work.

I come from the market with the 40 year old news theme, so I get tradition. And honestly, i have this gut feeling that they're going to go back to The Mission for the open in the not too distant future. But sometimes, my feelings are best summed up in this great Ikea ad by Spike Jonze:

Caught WK Today this morning. Love Lester and Jenna! When did they begin using a taped teaser for the start of the 2nd hour titled "Today's Top Stories"? They used to tease the upcoming segments outside in front of the crowd at the top of the hour. It's very similar to how the Today Show in Australia begins every hour. Does the weekday show do this as well?

Hi all, first post here, been watching the Today refresh as a guest for a while though!

Whilst I love the new theme, it doesn't really work with that intro. All of Adam's theme's (and indeed any special theme) are so...heraldic, I think that would be the word, that they should be played out with a long intro and an extremely sombre voiceover. I do like the end of the theme, it has the same ending as the old one and it doesn't sound tacky as if the main theme has been faded out.

The graphics are a mess, the opener, flashes and intro were all designed for the diagonal lines and they were used as 'wipes' to change between sequences. The programme opens with the Today sting with the orange and then throughout the open it is all white, why not just use the white version of the sting?

Also does anyone know who composed the Papal Coverage theme or where it came from?

Well, in my opinion Today show missed the last boat to a ratings boost... BIG TIME....

What do I mean?....

The Today Show has obviously received PLENTY of publicity since Ann's departure. IF the Today Show execs would've thought things through, they couldve re-launched with a new set, new music, new gfx, MAYBE a new/improved team all together on one day.... They shouldve set a date, ran stories/promos through all NBC platforms a few weeks in advance... get some attention from the entertainment shows... etc... This wouldve been the positive press this show needs... Now, yes so far we only got the gfx and music... but if TS makes any other changes, they really screwed up, and missed a good marketing opportunity, especially for a sinking ship.

Has anyone realised how little Matt really does? He does two hours of Today, any Special Reports and sometimes contributes to Rock Center! Savannah does 2 hours, sometimes stays on for the third, is Chief Legal Correspondent and has a major part in elections, Al does three of Today weather, major weather all over NBC News and his show on the weather channel, Natalie does three of Today, travels the world as a senior on scene reporter and used to do the fourth hour. Hoda does the 4th hour, stands in during the rest of the show, is an NBC National correspondent and contributes to Dateline. Lester does weekends on NN and Today, Dateline, stands in on weekday Today and travels the world to locations. Kathie Lee does the fourth hour, but she isn't really a journalist anyway.

I could easily go on and name substitute hosts that do more! Why keep someone who does so little work and gets paid so much more?1

Has anyone realised how little Matt really does? He does two hours of Today, any Special Reports and sometimes contributes to Rock Center! Savannah does 2 hours, sometimes stays on for the third, is Chief Legal Correspondent and has a major part in elections, Al does three of Today weather, major weather all over NBC News and his show on the weather channel, Natalie does three of Today, travels the world as a senior on scene reporter and used to do the fourth hour. Hoda does the 4th hour, stands in during the rest of the show, is an NBC National correspondent and contributes to Dateline. Lester does weekends on NN and Today, Dateline, stands in on weekday Today and travels the world to locations. Kathie Lee does the fourth hour, but she isn't really a journalist anyway.

I could easily go on and name substitute hosts that do more! Why keep someone who does so little work and gets paid so much more?1

Seems like he worked it into his contract to have a much lighter work load and more time off. He seems to be absent everytime I turn to the show.

What makes anyone believe a new set is in the works? Though it would be refreshing and welcome, I don't see Today Show ditching the street side studio, which means that they'd have to vacate Studio 1A while its being remodeled and I've heard nothing about them traveling anywhere.

Archived