Today Show viewers!

MorningNews

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look purely hideous like either the original L3's crashed and they had to try and replace them last minute, or like something else happened and they ended up overlaying the old L3's on top of the new L3's. They're also huge. I don't like gigantic lower thirds like Gannett's new standardized lower thirds.

But I agree. If this is a sign of changes to come...then why not just change everything at once? We've been hearing rumors that they're going to get a new set finally this year right? Why not just wait until then?

Maybe they were just test-running them. Hopefully.

THIS LOOKS WAY DARKER THAN IT DOES ON THE TV... Why don't they make it the same yellow from the subtitle?! I mean, thinking about it, the blue does look nice with the gradient ramp (see under "from" and "e in home"? I still don't get where and why blue... I think that they needed to hold back until they got their minds together, instead of doing both the old and new look!

I think the graphics may look better if they continued both colors to the end of the L3's instead of having the darker orange cut off. Also why change them when the opening L3's are still the same and no change to the interview screens. But they now match the coming up graphics that have been in place for a few weeks.

So we now have 4 different sets of graphics in the same space that the studio has been the same (7 Years?) Isnt it about time for some change?

Are there any changes to the opening?

No, but they changed the L3s again on Wednesday. By eliminating the orange and adding a touch more blue, I'd say it's a slight improvement...

TodayL3_zps0f59bf84.jpg

Note the 'LIVE' bug has been updated to match.

No, but they changed the L3s again on Wednesday. By eliminating the orange and adding a touch more blue, I'd say it's a slight improvement...

TodayL3_zps0f59bf84.jpg

Note the 'LIVE' bug has been updated to match.

They are the L3's for the pope coverage only, other stories remain the same!

I can see Carl or maybe Willie taking over

(Should be) without question, Willie's on the fast track.

Here me out on this, but I think that (outside personnel) the show's biggest issue is the second hour. Why the second hour and not the third or fourth? Look at it, it's a mess. It's a having a major identity crisis, and 4 hours of programming is causing it. Any of five anchors appear, doing everything from news to fluff, doing none of it particularly well.

Here's my proposition...

- The main four hosts appear at 7. This hour is news, weather, and big/serious interviews ONLY...period...not up for discussion. Matt and Savannah's roles become more defined, they get the newsworthy scoops, their faces still represent the brand.

- At 8, Lauer and Gutherie are out the door, Morales and Roker reprise their duties at the top of the hour (Roker updating at 8:30), and then they and Geist get to the entertainment fluff, pet segments and cooking disasters. In the summer, the concert series would dominate the hour. These three aren't half-bad together, so let them do their thing.

- The Booze twins assume their usual roles at 9, and the show continues like normal, but at an hour earlier to compete with 'Kelly and Michael' in most markets. The duo of KLG and Hoda have built an successful (if not unusual) brand and prove that this portion of the program is not Today's (biggest) problem.

An advantage to this plan is that a higher quality (I use the term loosely) of material makes it to air, weeding out the complete crap, leaving only the bearable crap. However, this plan only works in certain circumstances, though. The most obvious being that Matt remains with the program. Somehow, I find it unlikely that he's getting the boot...NBC just owes him way too much money at this point. Another issue, of course, is decreased ad revenue. I do have a possible solution, though...Meredith's anticipated show. Slot it in the schedule at 10, DO NOT give it the Today name, and it should (could) recoup some of the losses. Unfortunately, her show wouldn't hit the air until at least 2014.

I know this plan doesn't address many of the show's problems, or it merely brushes them under the rug, but it's at least realistic. I'm no expert, so feel free to criticize or debate.

Here me out on this, but I think that (outside personnel) the show's biggest issue is the second hour. Why the second hour and not the third or fourth? Look at it, it's a mess. It's a having a major identity crisis, and 4 hours of programming is causing it. Any of five anchors appear, doing everything from news to fluff, doing none of it particularly well.

Here's my proposition...

- The main four hosts appear at 7. This hour is news, weather, and big/serious interviews ONLY...period...not up for discussion. Matt and Savannah's roles become more defined, they get the newsworthy scoops, their faces still represent the brand.

- At 8, Lauer and Gutherie are out the door, Morales and Roker reprise their duties at the top of the hour (Roker updating at 8:30), and then they and Geist get to the entertainment fluff, pet segments and cooking disasters. In the summer, the concert series would dominate the hour. These three aren't half-bad together, so let them do their thing.

- The Booze twins assume their usual roles at 9, and the show continues like normal, but at an hour earlier to compete with 'Kelly and Michael' in most markets. The duo of KLG and Hoda have built an successful (if not unusual) brand and prove that this portion of the program is not Today's (biggest) problem.

An advantage to this plan is that a higher quality (I use the term loosely) of material makes it to air, weeding out the complete crap, leaving only the bearable crap. However, this plan only works in certain circumstances, though. The most obvious being that Matt remains with the program. Somehow, I find it unlikely that he's getting the boot...NBC just owes him way too much money at this point. Another issue, of course, is decreased ad revenue. I do have a possible solution, though...Meredith's anticipated show. Slot it in the schedule at 10, DO NOT give it the Today name, and it should (could) recoup some of the losses. Unfortunately, her show wouldn't hit the air until at least 2014.

I know this plan doesn't address many of the show's problems, or it merely brushes them under the rug, but it's at least realistic. I'm no expert, so feel free to criticize or debate.

This is what I would do.

Renovate the set, totally needs it. Move the desk to where the couch is and the couch to where the desk is Make it warmer add some wood. Then I would use the following format.

7-8 > The Today Newshour, still branded as TODAY but with just news, not fluff or nothing. This Hour would come from the desk and would be presented by Savannah and Natalie

8-10 > TODAY, The fluffier TODAY. This part is now presented by Willie and Natalie, Savannah is out, and Roker also joins in

10-11 > Hoda and Kathie Lee. As it is now

Part of this adds continuity, 5 presenters all linking together. Matt is gone as most want and Savannah's role is reduced (She will end up going like the Pauley and Norville controversy), before she leaves and joins Matt on a new syndicated show)

Here's my proposition...

This is what I would do.

Renovate the set, totally needs it. Move the desk to where the couch is and the couch to where the desk is Make it warmer add some wood. Then I would use the following format.

7-8 > The Today Newshour, still branded as TODAY but with just news, not fluff or nothing. This Hour would come from the desk and would be presented by Savannah and Natalie

8-10 > TODAY, The fluffier TODAY. This part is now presented by Willie and Natalie, Savannah is out, and Roker also joins in

10-11 > Hoda and Kathie Lee. As it is now

Part of this adds continuity, 5 presenters all linking together. Matt is gone as most want and Savannah's role is reduced (She will end up going like the Pauley and Norville controversy), before she leaves and joins Matt on a new syndicated show)

I like both of your ideas, and I have nothing against them. I do agree that the set should be warmer and have the switch and that at least the first hour should be for news and nothing else. And if Matt leaves, then I might hear loud praises of joy.

This is how I would format the show:

The first hour, as others have proposed, would be one focused on hard news. The only talent appearing during this segment would be Matt Lauer in his new role as news anchor. It would be difficult for him to accept this change in assignment, but I've always felt if he were to become newsreader viewers would take him more seriously (I know I would). I would later make him a national correspondent and ask Brian Williams to consider adding him to the Rock Center team.

The second hour, as others have also proposed, would feature lighter fare. Savannah Guthrie and Natalie Morales would anchor this hour with Al Roker providing weather reports and Lauer providing news updates. Willie Geist would replace Lester Holt on the weekend editions of Today, allowing Holt to focus on hard news and continue making his case for eventually succeeding Brian Williams as the face of NBC News.

The third and fourth hours would become a Live with Kelly and Michael type show titled Today Presents KLG and Hoda featuring the titular hosts. This segment would be reduced to one hour if and when Meredith Vieira's new show debuts. The 10 o'clock hour would be returned to affiliates but O&Os would carry Vieira's show in the timeslot and other affiliates would be urged to do the same.

New to the forums, btw.

You mean to tell me they couldn't have thrown a boat load of cash at Meredith so she would return? Hmmmmm...

I'd certainly try to offer Meredith a talk show, but that doesn't mean she'll want to do it with NBC. There's a reason she left Today in the first place. I suspect she may feel that she doesn't need NBC to stay relevant.

Archived