Today Show viewers!

MorningNews

What makes anyone believe a new set is in the works? Though it would be refreshing and welcome, I don't see Today Show ditching the street side studio, which means that they'd have to vacate Studio 1A while its being remodeled and I've heard nothing about them traveling anywhere.

Just before Meredith came on board in 2005 or 2006, they did the Today show from outside in Rockefeller Plaza. They could do that again. Also, the new EP of Today is on the record as saying that they plan on getting a new set sometime this year.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just before Meredith came on board in 2005 or 2006, they did the Today show from outside in Rockefeller Plaza. They could do that again. Also, the new EP of Today is on the record as saying that they plan on getting a new set sometime this year.

Hmm didn't know that. Pretty interested to see what they do.

Any set upgrades could, theoretically, be done over the weekend, with only the Saturday/Sunday editions impacted. Those shows could use the Rock Center facilities during the time since it has - or did have, from what I remember of the photos floating around when it premiered - an interview area.

The only reason 1A was vacated for so long with the last upgrade was to

. With all that behind them, it's just a matter of swapping out the set pieces and re-setting the lighting grid.

IIRC, the last 2nd floor studio that GMA inhabited was installed over the course of a weekend (I think GMA/Weekend was already broadcasting from ABC News HQ at that point, but honestly don't know for sure). I can't imagine why Today show production, engineering and technical staff couldn't pull off a similar feat.

One caveat to my last line is this: I believe GMA's studio was designed for easy assembly & disassembly since the second floor space was also used for other productions as needed. So perhaps that was why it was relatively easy to swap out the pieces.

Any set upgrades could, theoretically, be done over the weekend, with only the Saturday/Sunday editions impacted. Those shows could use the Rock Center facilities during the time since it has - or did have, from what I remember of the photos floating around when it premiered - an interview area.

The only reason 1A was vacated for so long with the last upgrade was to

. With all that behind them, it's just a matter of swapping out the set pieces and re-setting the lighting grid.

IIRC, the last 2nd floor studio that GMA inhabited was installed over the course of a weekend (I think GMA/Weekend was already broadcasting from ABC News HQ at that point, but honestly don't know for sure). I can't imagine why Today show production, engineering and technical staff couldn't pull off a similar feat.

One caveat to my last line is this: I believe GMA's studio was designed for easy assembly & disassembly since the second floor space was also used for other productions as needed. So perhaps that was why it was relatively easy to swap out the pieces.

Yep that's correct. They remodeled their upstairs set within a weekend before leaving it all together to move downstairs. I'm sure Today could do so as well. With the producer continuously going on about the shows new direction I'm interested to see how a new set will correspond.

Here's the article that's the source of that information plus a lot of other interesting behind the scenes tidbits that has led Today to where it is now. An good read worth the time

http://nymag.com/news/features/today-show-hosts-2013-4/

Forgot to add the link, thanks! How did you feel about the article? It was pretty interesting. Though I have no sympathy for Matt or the executives, it does suck for the rest of the shows staff behind the scenes. Feel bad for Savannah too. The one thing that bugs me still is that they almost seem to believe that they're entitled to the number 1 position and they don't hide that when they talk about it.

Forgot to add the link, thanks! How did you feel about the article? It was pretty interesting. Though I have no sympathy for Matt or the executives, it does suck for the rest of the shows staff behind the scenes. Feel bad for Savannah too. The one thing that bugs me still is that they almost seem to believe that they're entitled to the number 1 position and they don't hide that when they talk about it.

I thought it was very well reported and sourced with a great deal of background information from people in the know at NBC. I think NBC News management are the ones to blame. They are responsible for public relations and talent transitions and, as we've seen, they handled this one just as badly as the entertainment division handled the Leno/O'Brien transition. To be honest, Matt earned the right to say who he feels his co-anchor should and should not be. Ultimately, he is the one who knows who he would work well with to continue the 16-year winning streak he helped maintain. If he said from the start that he and Ann Curry would have no chemistry with him, NBC should have just bought out her contract or renogiated it instead of going through all of this unecessary drama. A good example of this would be Chris Cuomo's contract with ABC News. It stipulated that he could move on if he did not get the Good Morning America co-host role should Diane Sawyer or Robin Roberts leave the show. When George Stephanopolous was named the new co-host, Cuomo's contract was renogiated and he was named 20/20 co-anchor and given a higher level legal correspondent role. NBC could have easily asked Ann to take on a global affairs anchor position and promise her several primetime specials to avoid this.

I have heard rumors that they may be moving out of Studio 1A all together!

That would be ideal! The whole window attraction is just a bit outdated for me at least. I would love for the show to go back to their apartment style studio.

To be honest, Matt earned the right to say who he feels his co-anchor should and should not be.

Maybe some input and suggestions, but certainly not decision-making power. However, I do think that Matt is getting far more criticism than he deserves. After reading the article, I'd put the most blame on Jim Bell, with Lauer right behind.

I have heard rumors that they may be moving out of Studio 1A all together!

No way that'll happen. Crowds of sign holders gathering at Rockefeller Plaza has become part of the show's identity. The set does need to be made considerably warmer, though.

No way that'll happen. Crowds of sign holders gathering at Rockefeller Plaza has become part of the show's identity. The set does need to be made considerably warmer, though.

Let's hope that they do not try to mimic ABC's too much now...

I thought it was very well reported and sourced with a great deal of background information from people in the know at NBC. I think NBC News management are the ones to blame. They are responsible for public relations and talent transitions and, as we've seen, they handled this one just as badly as the entertainment division handled the Leno/O'Brien transition.

NBC has a history of handling transitions badly, dating back decades. They've botched the Tonight Show twice (maybe more depending on your point of view). This is the second or third time they've botched anchor changes on the Today Show. Nightly News has had a rough history since the original pairing of Huntley/Brinkley.

They also have a history of pairing up anchors that have no chemistry (Roger Mudd/Tom Brokaw on Nightly News in the early 80s; Barbara Walters & Frank McGee on Today; Bryant Gumbel & Deborah Norville on Today; Matt & Ann on Today).

Yet somehow, they manage to "right the ship" as it were and eventually make it clear sailing.

That being said, I've never been a fan of Today. Mainly because of Bryant Gumbel (in my formative years). But also because In the 80s, the anchors were stuck behind a news desk while Good Morning America was laid back and welcoming in their original living room set.

The recent ascension of Savannah Guthrie hasn't helped to change my opinion. I happened to stop on the Today show the other day and she was wearing a mini-skirt hiked half-way up her thigh along with a pair of knee-high boots (what some of a certain generation would call "go go boots"). It looked so unprofessional. Not to mention she gives off the air of being a sorority sister during fall rush. The show is just unappealing from top to bottom.

'Warmer' is the description the producer is giving the new set in the article...

100% agree about Savannah. I do feel bad that she's been caught up in this mess that was beyond her control. With that being said, Savannah is simply not good. She downplays her intelligence for this show, instead of being natural. More than that she doesn't command her presence while on air at least when Matt's there. Katie did that perfectly with Bryant and Meredith did it perfectly when she joined Matt. Savannah almost seems afraid. Not a good fit. The only current member of the show that seems to hold their own while sitting next to Matt is Hoda.

While i think they need a brand new set, i think they should say in studio 1A. In my opinion both Savannah and Matt need to go, Matt's had his reign but is now making the program stale, and Savannah has got caught up in this mess and is a bad name for the program. I think Willie and Natalie should anchor with Erica Hill on the news and Al on the weather, and keep the same team for the first 3 hours. No extra hosts as this keeps continuity. Then Al Roker can co host the 4th hour with Hoda, or just keep Kathie Lee.

The new set needs brick, wood and colored lightboxes to brighten things up.

NBC has a history of handling transitions badly, dating back decades. They've botched the Tonight Show twice (maybe more depending on your point of view). This is the second or third time they've botched anchor changes on the Today Show. Nightly News has had a rough history since the original pairing of Huntley/Brinkley.

They also have a history of pairing up anchors that have no chemistry (Roger Mudd/Tom Brokaw on Nightly News in the early 80s; Barbara Walters & Frank McGee on Today; Bryant Gumbel & Deborah Norville on Today; Matt & Ann on Today).

Yet somehow, they manage to "right the ship" as it were and eventually make it clear sailing.

That being said, I've never been a fan of Today. Mainly because of Bryant Gumbel (in my formative years). But also because In the 80s, the anchors were stuck behind a news desk while Good Morning America was laid back and welcoming in their original living room set.

The recent ascension of Savannah Guthrie hasn't helped to change my opinion. I happened to stop on the Today show the other day and she was wearing a mini-skirt hiked half-way up her thigh along with a pair of knee-high boots (what some of a certain generation would call "go go boots"). It looked so unprofessional. Not to mention she gives off the air of being a sorority sister during fall rush. The show is just unappealing from top to bottom.

I prefer GMA also, having started watching after Charlie Gibson left to anchor World News. Since then there has been great camaraderie between the talent that only existed on Today when Meredith was there. But as happy as I am that GMA is the top rated morning program again, Today has been #1 for most of my life and the fact that they're struggling feels off. I hope the changes NBC is making to Today at least make the show competitive, but seeing the program as it is now, I'm not holding my breath.

While i think they need a brand new set, i think they should say in studio 1A. In my opinion both Savannah and Matt need to go, Matt's had his reign but is now making the program stale, and Savannah has got caught up in this mess and is a bad name for the program. I think Willie and Natalie should anchor with Erica Hill on the news and Al on the weather, and keep the same team for the first 3 hours. No extra hosts as this keeps continuity. Then Al Roker can co host the 4th hour with Hoda, or just keep Kathie Lee.

The new set needs brick, wood and colored lightboxes to brighten things up.

In my opinion the first three hours content should be condensed into two hours. If staying with same anchors, incorporate Willie into the main show just as GMA does with Lara. Hoda & Kathie Lee would then do their hour at 9am.

I think it's going to be a while until Today can be on top again. They shouldn't be doing 'change for the sake of change.' I read the article detailing about Today's "free-fall" during the past year and it's just a major reputation problem and the finger pointing (sadly enough) is like this intricate web. In my opinion though, this mess is not just solely due to Ann (as it was made seem on TV), but rather structure and how it was handled. They kept the same structure that existed with Katie and Matt and thought they can just put Ann in there. They didn't take into account that Ann can't be like Katie and Meredith. Recognizing that and had the program showcase more of Ann's strengths probably wouldn't have made the bleeding as bad as it was.

I just think that all the changes they've been doing, starting with Ann's departure has been "patchwork". Of course the ascension of Geist will have people thinking that he is in line of Matt's job when people perceive Matt as the polarizing, visible "bad guy" in this situation. Of course people would be quick to point that putting all four of the hosts/anchors into one big desk is a page from GMA. At this point they have to be really careful at making changes in the show... as tempting as it may be, and as much as some desire; especially Matt's successor.

Oh yeah...about the "big desk." Is it me...or is it just too big. Another time when I've been flipping around and landed on Today, they were in a 3-shot with (Natalie Morales?) on the left --- big freaking space --- Matt & Savannah bunched up against the far right. It was an uncomfortable to look at and if someone was watching on a 4x3 screen, Savannah would have disappeared and Matt would be barely seen.

And to me, it gave off a feeling that Matt didn't like having people (other than Savannah) sitting next to him.

How about ditching the desk all together? Use a couch setting for home base like Fox and Friends has always done and GMA did in the 70s/80s/90s. If they want to give the show that welcome feeling and incorporate all TODAY personnel to give that family vibe this could be a route. I think of The TODAY Show Australia and how they ditched a desk last year and brought in a couch and how the entire show feels much more inclusive and utilizes the others on the show. Then again I don't see that working too well with Matt.

How about ditching the desk all together? Use a couch setting for home base like Fox and Friends has always done and GMA did in the 70s/80s/90s. If they want to give the show that welcome feeling and incorporate all TODAY personnel to give that family vibe this could be a route. I think of The TODAY Show Australia and how they ditched a desk last year and brought in a couch and how the entire show feels much more inclusive and utilizes the others on the show. Then again I don't see that working too well with Matt.

There is a living room area on the current set that's mainly used for interviews. They could add some orange elements to it, have Matt sit in an armchair and use that.

I think it's going to be a while until Today can be on top again. They shouldn't be doing 'change for the sake of change.' I read the article detailing about Today's "free-fall" during the past year and it's just a major reputation problem and the finger pointing (sadly enough) is like this intricate web. In my opinion though, this mess is not just solely due to Ann (as it was made seem on TV), but rather structure and how it was handled. They kept the same structure that existed with Katie and Matt and thought they can just put Ann in there. They didn't take into account that Ann can't be like Katie and Meredith. Recognizing that and had the program showcase more of Ann's strengths probably wouldn't have made the bleeding as bad as it was.

I just think that all the changes they've been doing, starting with Ann's departure has been "patchwork". Of course the ascension of Geist will have people thinking that he is in line of Matt's job when people perceive Matt as the polarizing, visible "bad guy" in this situation. Of course people would be quick to point that putting all four of the hosts/anchors into one big desk is a page from GMA. At this point they have to be really careful at making changes in the show... as tempting as it may be, and as much as some desire; especially Matt's successor.

They aren't. They're making changes because the show is in second place and is in no position to challenge for first.

Archived