SouthernMedia's News Music Search Archive has a new look

I know that IE is not well liked among some circles (mainly due to security vulnerabilities); but I've never seen a message like this left on a site.

Well, the joke's on them, because I'm having no problems with it on IE10 (beta).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's cool to hear that new music from Gari is being released...but I'm bummed that I cannot listen to the music while in my Droid Incredible 2's browser! It turns out the new player on the NMSA does not work on my mobile phone when the old one did! Solutions, anyone?

Well it's about damn time. Obviously they were no new Gari material last year, so this is good news. The bad news is why Gari didn't do a package for them four years prior and everyone had to hear that Rampage Music. WUSA & WCSH/WLBZ probably would've kept the Enforcer & Good News, respectively.

• 1 month later...

The Phoenix stuff is impressive. KPNX was going through an...interesting image change in 1992, that's for sure. Plus, Scott Chapin on KPHO—last year he returned to Phoenix TV doing voiceover work for KNXV (we knew he did KPHO but didn't have an open for it in the NMSA).

Raymie is right; I've talked with VTS founder Hal Brown over the phone and e-mail, I even sang a couple bars of the promo song, and he confirmed it.

KENS 1980s and WGHP 1984 were also VTS' work. Hal said WGHP 1984 was called "Newscore", but I'm not sure what KENS 1980s' title was. KENS 1980s sounds like it might be related to a promo song they used around 1984 with the slogan "Clearly the One." Another part of the theme seems to be based on a motif heard in the long close of an earlier VTS package "News 80s", which WGHP used before "Newscore". (NMSA lists WGHP as having used KENS 1980s, probably because of that motif, but News 80s and KENS 1980s otherwise sound to have nothing in common, so I'm thinking that WGHP really only used News 80s.)

I sent all this info to NMSA when I first learned it; it's obviously up to him to decide whether to ever add the info.

It's VTS.

Raymie is right; I've talked with VTS founder Hal Brown over the phone and e-mail, I even sang a couple bars of the promo song, and he confirmed it.

Is this referring to the WAVY 1985 theme?

The singers in the "You're Covered" promo sound very similar to the ones in VTS' "Count on 13" song for WLOS

• 2 months later...

Lots of great updates over the past few weeks, including the ID'ing of some unknown themes. He's also confirmed the late Tom Sellers as the original Action News Theme composer, which went unrecorded on their update but he does have the longer version that was found and posted from a vinyl record. Really liking what the NMSA has done since the update.

• 2 months later...

Several HUGE finds on the update:

"We Know What Matters" "KCTV 1992 News Theme" and "WFTV 1988 News Theme" composed by The Coast Productions.

"WGHP 1984 News Theme" is actually called "NewScore" by VTS. WAVY 1985 and KENS 1985 have been updated to reflect VTS.

Several HUGE finds on the update:

"We Know What Matters" "KCTV 1992 News Theme" and "WFTV 1988 News Theme" composed by The Coast Productions.

"WGHP 1984 News Theme" is actually called "NewScore" by VTS. WAVY 1985 and KENS 1985 have been updated to reflect VTS.

KENS used that theme way before 1985, try 1983, possibly 1982, around the time they moved to their current studios. Also doesn't sound like typical VTS, interesting find!

KENS 1980s being renamed KENS 1985 is probably my fault. When I e-mailed NMSA with the ID, I mistyped it as KENS 1985 because in the same e-mail, I also ID'ed WAVY 1985 as VTS.

I e-mailed NMSA to let him know that I made a typo, hopefully he'll change it back to 1980s.

I got the VTS ID info from Hal Brown, the guy who ran the company. Yes, their early-80s stuff sounds different, almost TM-esque. (Even though VTS' corporate headquarters were in Asheville, NC, they recorded their music in Dallas, and may have even used session musicians that also played on TM stuff.)

Also, in case I didn't mention before, the Coast IDs came from Rob Barrett, who worked there before he started Third Street Music.

Makes me think that The Coast Productions never left because prior to KARE 11 giving in to Corporate Master, you see that music credit at the end of every newscast.

Music ©The Coast/Terry Esau

Video Courtesy of WinnepegTVNews from YT

Jeffrey's got connections. He's the one responsible for all these finds, though I pointed him to WFTV 1988. (The Coast, like its successor Third Street Music, was a Twin Cities concern. You might note that both KCTV '92 (which was made for some Iowa station) and WFTV '88 were picked up by stations in rural Minnesota (KAAL, KEYC/KDLH). This was a trend that I picked up on.)

Speaking of which, I've learned something tonight about WFTV '88: it has a jingle to go with it, and KDLH's version is "People you can count on, KDLH-TV". Apparently WFTV was using that slogan, too! I think that's the fourth package I've logged with a musical signature of People You Can Count On (KTNV 1987, KLAS 1992, WBNS 1983, WFTV 1988).

I'll have to email Rob Barrett about it, but he posted the KARE open music on YouTube, and said he did it with Terry Esau. It's also registered in BMI with Esau as composer and his Puddle Hill Publishing as publisher. (Puddle Hill's address says "Terrance Gilbert Esau dba Puddle Hill Publishing, c/o The Coast")

The KUSA theme is also registered to Puddle Hill, with composer listed as "unknown." Barrett definitely wrote them, but it was likely a work-for-hire situation, like how Chuck Loeb wrote the classic Headline News package for Score Productions, but the only name on the BMI registrations is Robert Israel.

So NMSA may well be inaccurate in listing either of them as Third Street; they may even predate its founding. Again, I'll ask Mr. Barrett.

Archived