Update: Tribune to acquire Local TV for 2.75 billion

Jterry

Since they sold the Times-Dispatch, MG should come back home and buy back WTVR. Of course they couldn't keep Channel 6 because of the cross-ownership restriction, after Roy Park stations merged to MG. MG would be a great buyer for the Richmond, Norfolk & Huntsville properties.

I was thinking about that. Who knows?

(BTW, just learned about the Local TV thing via VARTV today)

My focus will be on the three stations here in Virginia: WTVR in Richmond (where Raycom/Sinclair/Young/American Spirit already in the market), and WTKR/WGNT in Hampton Roads (where Lin/Belo/Ion Media/Sinclair already in the market).

If Sinclair gets WTVR, that means Raycom's WWBT will have to cancel WRLH's Fox News at 10 (they produced it since 1994) and Fox Richmond Morning News (new 7am newscast also produced by WWBT since 2012). WWBT also has a 6:30pm newscast, but it's on WUPV. So if Sinclair owns WTVR, the WWBT-produced 10pm news would be on WUPV (owned by American Spirit Media), but with a different name canceling the 6:30 one. WUPV used to air a 35-minute 10pm newscast that was produced by WTVR (was owned by Raycom at the time; both were sister stations) from March 2007 to November 2008. The agreement was cancelled due to high financial costs producing the shows.

I don't think Sinclair's graphics will match WTVR's FX Group set. Remember, Sinclair tried to get WTVR and sell WRLH back in 2008 and you probably knew what happened.

Sinclair for WTKR/WGNT? They already own WTVZ, but will they sell it?

Nexstar? I'm afraid what they are gonna do to the South's First Television Station and Virginia's most honored news organization, WTVR. And, what Nexstar will do to WTKR/WGNT, with their great ratings (WTKR's news is number one at noon, 4 and 11pm) and all.

Scripps: Their stations are mostly ABC. I don't know if they want the two largest CBS stations in Virginia.

Belo? Scratch that. No way in heck Belo will drop WVEC for WTKR/WGNT. I don't know if they want WTVR. I'll be surprised if they want it.

Gray? The highest market they serve is Knoxville (WVLT). Gray is still managing Young's WRIC and owns the Charlottesville Newsplex (WCAV/WVAW/WAHU) and WHSV/WSVF in Harrisonburg. Scratch Norfolk out because it's in the low 40s.

Lin? For WTVR? On the fence. WTKR/WGNT? No.

Gannett for WTVR? Hmm. I can picture the opens and image campaigns with scenes from the Richmond area. Will Richmond be singing Gari's This is Home signature? They might. If it happens, WUSA will get a new sister station and WTVR will have to kiss The Enforcer goodbye after 12 years. I don't know about WTKR. Will the new theme fit? Had Gannett stayed with Rampage Music New York's Gannett News Music Package and the G3 graphics, it would be PERFECT for WTKR (hint: "Taking Action, Getting Results"). You know what, I'm on the fence right now.

I don't think Post-Newsweek will buy WTVR and WTKR/WGNT. Cox announced their sale of four radio stations in Richmond recently to Summit Media, but will they be able to buy WTVR? Will Richmond and Hampton Roads be hearing Fuze Artz's Hearst News Package in the future?

Ooh, this is gonna be interesting...

(sorry for editing this post a lot)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking about that. Who knows?

(BTW, just learned about the Local TV thing via VARTV today)

My focus will be on the three stations here in Virginia: WTVR in Richmond (where Raycom/Sinclair/Young/American Spirit already in the market), and WTKR/WGNT in Hampton Roads (where Lin/Belo/Ion Media/Sinclair already in the market).

If Sinclair gets WTVR, that means Raycom's WWBT will have to cancel WRLH's Fox News at 10 (they produced it since 1994) and Fox Richmond Morning News (new 7am newscast also produced by WWBT since 2012). WWBT also has a 6:30pm newscast, but it's on WUPV. So if Sinclair owns WTVR, the 10pm news will return to WUPV (owned by American Spirit Media), canceling the 6:30 one. WUPV used to air a 35-minute 10pm newscast that was produced by WTVR (was owned by Raycom at the time; both were sister stations) from March 2007 to November 2008.

I don't think Sinclair's graphics will match WTVR's FX Group set. Remember, Sinclair tried to get WTVR and sell WRLH back in 2008 and you probably knew what happened.

Sinclair for WTKR/WGNT? They already own WTVZ, but will they sell it?

Nexstar? I'm afraid what they are gonna do to the South's First Television Station and Virginia's most honored news organization, WTVR. And, what Nexstar will do to WTKR/WGNT, with their great ratings (WTKR's news is number one at noon, 4 and 11pm) and all.

Scripps: Their stations are mostly ABC. I don't know if they want the two largest CBS stations in Virginia.

Belo? Scratch that. No way in heck Belo will drop WVEC for WTKR/WGNT. I don't know if they want WTVR. I'll be surprised if they want it.

Gray? The highest market they serve is Knoxville (WVLT). Gray is still managing Young's WRIC and owns the Charlottesville Newsplex (WCAV/WVAW/WAHU) and WHSV/WSVF in Harrisonburg. Scratch Norfolk out because it's in the low 40s.

Lin? For WTVR? On the fence. WTKR/WGNT? No.

Gannett for WTVR? Hmm. I can picture the opens and image campaigns with scenes from the Richmond area. Will Richmond be singing Gari's This is Home signature? They might. If it happens, WUSA will get a new sister station and WTVR will have to kiss The Enforcer goodbye after 12 years. I don't know about WTKR. Will the new theme fit? Had Gannett stayed with Rampage Music New York's Gannett News Music Package and the G3 graphics, it would be PERFECT for WTKR (hint: "Taking Action, Getting Results"). You know what, I'm on the fence right now.

I don't think Post-Newsweek will buy WTVR and WTKR/WGNT. Cox announced their sale of four radio stations in Richmond recently to Summit Media, but will they be able to buy WTVR? Will Richmond and Hampton Roads be hearing Fuze Artz's Hearst News Package in the future?

Ooh, this is gonna be interesting...

What about Sunbeam for WTKR/WGNT

Well, in Milwaukee we can rule out Hearst, Journal, Sinclair, and Weigel. So who's the most likely out of who is left - Gannett, Scripps, Fox, Tribune, Cox, Belo, Nexstar, Gray? I really hope it's not Nexstar.

Well' date=' in Milwaukee we can rule out Hearst, Journal, Sinclair, and Weigel. So who's the most likely out of who is left - Gannett, Scripps, Fox, Tribune, Cox, Belo, Nexstar, Gray? I [i']really[/i] hope it's not Nexstar.

I want to say Tribune or Gray.

Most of the reputable groups haven't done much in the way of buying. If groups like Belo, Gannett, Post-Newsweek, or any of the networks want to buy anything, this may just be the time. WTVR and WTKR would fit very nicely into Gannett's portfolio.

But the vast majority of these stations, perhaps all of them, will be going to Nexstar or Sinclair. KFSM and WNEP all might as well start switching to the Sinclair graphics now because that's where they are going, without a doubt.

How long is WGHP's contract with FOX and WXLV's contract with ABC?

All the former Fox O&Os signed long-term affiliation agreements upon the sale. IIRC, they were all 10-year deals (meaning there would be less than six years to go). That might scare off some buyers, but it might not, as they mostly are well-performing Fox affiliates.

KTVI-TV: Same situation here for KTVI if they can get the approved duopoly. Maybe rumblings can also begin for ABC to lose the affiliation from ABC30 and move it over to KTVI and/or KPLR.

For some reason, ABC keeps extending the affiliation contract with ABC30. Last I heard, it runs until 2014.

I want to say Tribune or Gray.

I wouldn't mind Tribune, since they would probably be hands off and just let them keep doing what they're doing. I don't know enough about Gray to comment.

Oh God.

Someone please tell me that shopping spree is not about to resume.

Agreed, but however Nexstar is poised about buying all of the ComCorp Stations, however Nexstar owns WTVW (via virtual duopoly) and legally owns WEHT and I wonder about Nexstar Broadcasting Group selling either station to another owner and restore the Independent owners/operations in Evansville and I understand that the shopping spree is going to start back up, AGAIN, but I would like to see Sinclair/Nexstar start selling tv stations to keep those companies afloat.

here is the article written about the ComCorp/Local TV stations: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/66367/nexstar-poised-to-buy-cca-stations

What about LIN for WITI? Having both FOX stations in the Packer "home" market could be desirable.

I didn't even think about LIN. They wouldn't be bad. No crazy group-wide mandates.

I say it all goes piecemeal. But let me offer this scenario that I posed in an earlier thread:

Tribune, upon completion of the sale of the newspaper division, swoops down and buys LocalTV. They will have the capital to do it. But that's when things get interesting.

After that purchase, they start spinning off all the non-Fox station below market #30. Add in WGNO in New Orleans with any package deal. This includes most of the former NYT stations. But all will likely be sold individually, some as a group.

But let's pose this:

News Corp. has been more than obvious as a suitor for the Tribune newspapers. But I don't think they will get them. Which is actually a good thing for News, which shouldn't be making investments in a dying business like that (but is more apt to want to drive up the price). Moreover, wouldn't the Chicago and LA papers - the heart of the Tribune chain - be impossible for News to buy anyway?

I think that's all a head game. After all, they know LocalTV has been on the block, and they know it includes the former Fox O&Os. Remember, they were only spun off to cover for News' misbegotten purchase of DowJones. If they weren't interested in buying any more stations, then why did they buy WJZY/WMYT?

I actually will go and here and posit that Fox will make an attempt to buy back some of the former O&Os. Not all, though. Tribune should be more than able to buy KDVR and KTVI to finally make those duopolies official. Plus Fox probably isn't interested in KSTU, and probably not with WDAF (but I could be wrong).

However, let's go back to WJZY/WMYT. They will be taking over a station with no news operation, and will have to build it from scratch in a growing, competitive market. Wouldn't it be in their best interests to have WGHP back in their stable? Especially when they can share resources and reporters, in addition to simulcasting some of WGHP's newscasts on WJZY - or even elements like sports, weather and the like? I think Fox does, and they know it. Plus, given WJW's and WITI's continued excellent ratings performance, those two are in much better shape than WHBQ, which Fox couldn't sell off. Could almost say the same thing now about WDAF, too.

So, yeah. Fox could easily take back a combination of either WJW, WITI and WDAF, and I'd put WGHP in the "very likely" category, as they will use that station to help get their new WJZY/WMYT duopoly off the ground. Would be nice "consolation prizes" for News Corp. after they fail to buy the Tribune papers.

It's probable that they bought WJZY/WMYT because that was Capitol's way of keeping them away from WLFL/WRDC.

Depending on the timetable for the Tribune sale, it's possible for News Corporation to buy the Tribune papers, because they're splitting in two (one side, the Fox Group, will keep the TV stations, and the other, a new company taking the News Corporation name, will keep Murdoch's newspapers).

It's probable that they bought WJZY/WMYT because that was Capitol's way of keeping them away from WLFL/WRDC.

Depending on the timetable for the Tribune sale, it's possible for News Corporation to buy the Tribune papers, because they're splitting in two (one side, the Fox Group, will keep the TV stations, and the other, a new company taking the News Corporation name, will keep Murdoch's newspapers).

That's the key thing. The split could take awhile to finalize, and time's the enemy in the Tribune newspaper sweepstakes. And yet, I still have a hunch that they won't get the papers... just a hunch.

The aftermath of the WJZY/WMYT purchase, though, leaves Fox in a position of taking over a station with no news programming whatsoever, in a market where WSOC and WBTV rule the roost. Their best hope would be to compete with WCNC. I can't help but think that Fox is looking to the west of Charlotte at one of their former O&Os, which just stuck a huge "For Sale" sign in the front yard, and showing some serious interest.

Buying back WGHP can help alleviate what could become a major headache for Fox in the coming years.

Now that KTVI and WITI are for sale, could FOX want them back because of them having NFC teams?

Most of their stations they divested back in 2007 were in AFC and non-NFL markets.

Tribune more than likely has the inside track with KTVI (ditto with KDVR). If anyone else buys the station, they'd have to find new studios. Plus KTVI's operation has been integrated into KPLR's for four years now. Wouldn't make sense to undo that, honestly.

If LIN doesn't want WITI, Fox probably will buy that station as part of the package theory I mentioned earlier.

And note too, that WJZY will soon become the "home station" for the Panthers. If Fox buys back WGHP, that would strengthen their position in an NFC state.

Even though they are in an AFC city, WJW also airs about two Browns games per year, and usually runs the "home city" simulcast of NFL Network's Thursday Night Football games the Browns appear in. Cleveland is historically a big-time NFL town, period, despite the Browns' abysmal on-field performance since 1999.

I expect many angry mobs and pure hell to break out in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is WNEP loses the Newswatch branding especially MCTYW. I expect WBRE/WYOU to be number one if WNEP goes to Sinclair... which it will. First they get WJAC and now probably Newswatch 16! There goes any credibility left for PA television (outside WPVI and maybe KDKA).

I expect many angry mobs and pure hell to break out in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is WNEP loses the Newswatch branding especially MCTYW. I expect WBRE/WYOU to be number one if WNEP goes to Sinclair... which it will. First they get WJAC and now probably Newswatch 16! There goes any credibility left for PA television (outside WPVI and maybe KDKA).

Correction: WNEP I believe uses Move Closer to Your World-esque package (same signature, different package).

Why do you assume WNEP will go to Sinclair? Couldn't WNEP (and possibly WQAD) be picked up by Scripps?

Correction: WNEP I believe uses Move Closer to Your World-esque package (same signature, different package).

Why do you assume WNEP will go to Sinclair? Couldn't WNEP (and possibly WQAD) be picked up by Scripps?

WNEP might be an interesting pickup for LIN. Or Meredith.

I would like to hear one solid answer here on why any of you think Fox would want to buy back stations they sold off.

I don't know that they would.

However, to play devil's advocate: the reason they sold off the New World and other stations was primarily to garner liquid capital to assist at the time of their purchase of Dow Jones. Now that the Dow Jones acquisition is long since in the rear-view mirror, they may decide that some of those stations have some additional growth potential back under their management.

Or, they might decide that additional local stations might assist with marketing or operations in areas where FOX has a strong local sports emphasis (areas where they have a FSN station, for instance). Or, somewhat related, they may think that the stations somehow could dovetail into the FOX cable sports restructuring.

I'm just shooting out a few ideas here... it could be simply that the price Local TV wants is less than the price that FOX originally sold the stations for, and they might think it's a good value play. *shrug*

Check out this article which specifically talks about the buying of WDAF:

http://www.bottomlinecom.com/wdaf-tv-put-up-for-sale-by-local-tv/

What it's essentially saying is that Sinclair and Nexstar aren't in the position to buy any of the Local TV stations and that Belo, Cox or Schurz would be tempting buyers of them (WDAF).

That's the key thing. The split could take awhile to finalize, and time's the enemy in the Tribune newspaper sweepstakes. And yet, I still have a hunch that they won't get the papers... just a hunch.

The aftermath of the WJZY/WMYT purchase, though, leaves Fox in a position of taking over a station with no news programming whatsoever, in a market where WSOC and WBTV rule the roost. Their best hope would be to compete with WCNC. I can't help but think that Fox is looking to the west of Charlotte at one of their former O&Os, which just stuck a huge "For Sale" sign in the front yard, and showing some serious interest.

Buying back WGHP can help alleviate what could become a major headache for Fox in the coming years.

Buying back WGHP is not going to happen. As much as that would be a great deal, the way that Charlotte is, I don't think they want a newscast coming in from the Triad for the FOX O&O. That sounds like a short term solution and nothing else for WJZY/WMYT. Even though its been discussed in other threads, they might just end up using the SPEEDCenter to get up and going unless FOX is willing to put capital in.

Well, Cox is supposedly looking to move into DMAs larger than the ones it's exiting [Johnstown/Altoona, Wheeling/Steubenville, El Paso, Reno], and Kansas City is certainly larger than any of those. Also, Cox doesn't already own stations in any of the markets that Local TV's in, so if Cox wanted to go on a shopping spree, it could.

Belo, on the other hand, already ownn stations in St. Louis and Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Portsmouth). Is Belo in a buying mood, though?

Archived