Update: Tribune to acquire Local TV for 2.75 billion

Jterry

Hey y'all.

We all told him. So now I'm suggesting to all of you is to ignore him now. It's a waste of time for you to constantly ask him to refrain from asking those questions in big fonts, and he just don't want to comply, as he's been asked numerous times.

So I think the best thing for us to do (the ones that told this particular user on here, including me) to please ignore him. Don't get mad at him. Just like mre29 stated above, Don't feed the trolls. And if he continues, he'll probably wish he would've thought twice.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That'll be enough questions for now. :smash:

Thank you for stepping in, the questions were getting very annoying very fast! Most of us live** in a station that is owned and operated station by Local TV, LLC and would like not have questions like that answered right away. Thanks!

**Local TV, LLC does owns and operates WDAF-TV, Kansas City, Missouri and KDVR in Denver, Colorado and also owns KFOR and KAUT in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

**what I meant live, meaning in we live in our homes that a Local TV, LLC station owns and or operates. We actually do not live in a TV station, therefore it would be really weird.

• 3 weeks later...
The only two groups besides the ones that shall not be named that I could see buying the Local TV stations are Tribune and Meredith. Maybe Cox, since they joined into the Newport sale.

Agreed, I'm sure Cox could put up a good fight with KUSA. KDVR has a great on-air look (albeit the set is a little lacking) and Cox has good taste. I think they could respect that.

However, with Cox's current mode of wanting to expand in larger markets where they have multiple operations, it's not likely I don't think.

I see where you're getting this from since Cox got KOKI in the Newport deal. However, the only reason Cox got KOKI is to unite it with its radio stations (most notably KRMG). KFOR and WDAF won't be going to Cox. In terms of who will, keep in mind that Local TV owns a sister in OKC, KAUT. Hence, Sinclair probably won't get KFOR (and KAUT) because they already have KOKH and KOCB. In terms of KC, WDAF is the only KC station without a sister (KCTV with KSMO, KMBC with KCWE, and KSHB with KMCI). So don't expect Meredith, Hearst, or Scripps (respectively) to buy WDAF.

On top of that, there is absolutely no other television station in KC that WDAF could even be paired with...unless they went with KPXE, the Ion station. Either them or the low powered KUKC Univision station. Neither of which would make very much sense at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this up re: discussion in another thread and who is capable of buying whole and who would have conflicts. Realistically, a company smaller in revenue would be financially not capable without creating headaches given the fact that Local TV LLC ranks #13 in revenue. Besides the networks, the only options are Gannett (post-Belo, are they up to spending more?), Sinclair, Hearst, Tribune (highly unlikely), Cox and Media General (post-Young, without it is smaller). Raycom is also listed but it is only slightly larger.

Conflicts by company with Local TV LLC if they purchase whole (i.e. creates a duopoly or more, forced to shell or divest in most cases):

Gannett (post-Belo) - KUSA, KTVI, WGHP, WJW, WTKR/WGNT, WTVR

Sinclair - KTVI, WGHP, KFOR/KAUT, KSTU, WHO, WTKR/WGNT, WITI

Hearst - KFOR/KAUT, KFSM/KXNW, WHO, WDAF, WITI

Media General (post-Young) - WQAD/WQBD, WTVR

Cox - can absorb with no complications

Raycom - WHNT, WREG, WTVR

Bumping this up re: discussion in another thread and who is capable of buying whole and who would have conflicts. Realistically, a company smaller in revenue would be financially not capable without creating headaches given the fact that Local TV LLC ranks #13 in revenue. Besides the networks, the only options are Gannett (post-Belo, are they up to spending more?), Sinclair, Hearst, Tribune (highly unlikely), Cox and Media General (post-Young, without it is smaller). Raycom is also listed but it is only slightly larger.

Conflicts by company with Local TV LLC if they purchase whole:

Cox - can absorb whole

Here is the problems with the triopolies: with and if Hearst owns WDAF, Hearst already owns KMBC/KCWE in Kansas City, MIssouri as an duopoly situation (minus the subchannels)

second of all, WXLV/WMYV is owned by Sinclair as a duopoly in the Piedmont and also owns KOKH/KOCB in Oklahoma City, therefore it would be a big no no.

Here is the problems with the triopolies: with and if Hearst owns WDAF, Hearst already owns KMBC/KCWE in Kansas City, MIssouri as an duopoly situation (minus the subchannels)

second of all, WXLV/WMYV is owned by Sinclair as a duopoly in the Piedmont and also owns KOKH/KOCB in Oklahoma City, therefore it would be a big no no.

Just make a shell company with an SSA and call it a day!

Conflicts by company with Local TV LLC if they purchase whole (i.e. creates a duopoly or more, forced to shell or divest in most cases):

Cox - can absorb with no complications

WREG most likely won't go Raycom seeing that WMC is Raycom and is in the same market.

WREG most likely won't go Raycom seeing that WMC is Raycom and is in the same market.

He was just pointing out where the conflicts were.

My gut on the Local stations initially was a piecemeal situation and I still realistically fall there given the complexity as others have noted. I certainly expect Sinclair to be one of those involved though and when it comes to them you can't rule anything out. Nothing is looking impossible the way this past year has been. At the end of the day the fact is there are some very good stations in this group that should attract some of better "buyers" out there.

Not to mention that if KMBC/WDAF/KCWE teamed up, it would create an incredibly unfair advantage in the city and all but destroy KSHB.

The Topeka market is a triopoly with KSNT/KTMJ/KTKA and that's bad enough!

I personally agreed regarding the Topeka Troublemakers. However, I can recall the sale of KTKA to PBC Broadcasting from 2 years ago to merging its newscasts with KSNT/KTMJ to this: (Cue Eric Gordon) You're watching Kansas First News at 10:00pm on 49 ABC KTKA Topeka or You're watching Kansas First News at 6:00pm on 27 KSNT, Winner of the 2012 KAB Station of the Year of Overall Excellence.

Now more on the Triopoly, it has been two years since the merger with KSNT/KTMJ/KTKA and the formation of Kansas First News after a short renovation using KTKA's old set.

and besides, if the three Kansas City Stations teamed up like the three troublemakers in Topeka did, yeah they will have an unfair advantage and destroy the reputation of KSHB.

Wait a minute, If Nexstar buys Local TV LLC, that means that WREG will be owned by Mission Broadcasting, but operated by Nexstar.

Nexstar has pretty much no interest in WREG I can be quite sure of. Perry Sook said in the article he wouldn't be interested in all the Local stations, and surely that would be one of them. They just spent 5 million on WATN - they already have their Memphis commitment.

Not surprising news-- Nexstar will explore buying some Local TV LLC. stations if the group is sold in pieces.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/20/us-nexstar-acquisitions-idUSBRE95J0K120130620

I can bet money that KDVR would go to NexStar then should piecemeal Local TV dissection occur. Somehow I can't see Tribune in the buying mood.

Nexstar is already in four of those markets. It's safe to say that they won't get WREG in any stretch of the imagination, after they spent $5M on their new digs for WATN/WLMT almost three weeks ago. Nexstar is also in Utah (KTVX/KUCW), NEPA (WBRE/WYOU) & NW Arkansas (KFTA/KNWA). So I don't think they will touch the already affected markets.

I think its safe to say when Oak Hill divest, it would most likely be sold in pieces. We're coming up on one year anniversary since the announcement of the buyers of the Newport stations (7/19/12). And that one was sold in pieces.

Here is my prediction:

Meredith: WREG, WGHP, WHO, WNEP, and KSTU

Nexstar: KFOR/KAUT, WTKR/WGNT, and WQAD

LIN: WTVR, KFSM/KNWX, WITI, and WHNT

FOX: KDVR, KTVI, and WJW.

Raycom: WDAF

Archived