Update: Tribune to acquire Local TV for 2.75 billion

Jterry

Popping in to issue my customary reminder:

ABC DOES NOT BUY TELEVISION STATIONS. EVER.

So if you're thinking that, don't, mmm'kay? :)

When was the last time they ever did?

(Outside of their panic-induced purchase of WTVG/WJRT, of course...)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will all of the Local TV, LLC stations be sold to Cox Media Group?

Not all. LIN should be making a play for WITI, and Meredith's HQ is line-of-sight from WHO-TV's studios. And Tribune might just want to buy KDVR and/or KTVI. And Raycom might want WGHP and WTVR (again). Etc, etc.

But it would be shocking for Cox NOT to get any of them. They have money to spend now.

Why would Raycom want WTVR back? Didn't they get rid of it because WWBT did better in the ratings?

(Wait, I just remembered that they have that arrangement in Hawaii...do you think they'd like one like that in Richmond?)

Does Tribune seem the sort to resort to a shell corporation? They'd need one to keep the KTVI-KPLR arrangement (St. Louis does not have enough full-power TV stations to allow a legal duopoly).

Why would Raycom want WTVR back? Didn't they get rid of it because WWBT did better in the ratings?

(Wait, I just remembered that they have that arrangement in Hawaii...do you think they'd like one like that in Richmond?)

Does Tribune seem the sort to resort to a shell corporation? They'd need one to keep the KTVI-KPLR arrangement (St. Louis does not have enough full-power TV stations to allow a legal duopoly).

I can hear the open of the 11:00 news now. "In high definition, simulcast on WWBT and WTVR, live, local and connected at 11 o'clock, this is Richmond News Now."

I still say BELO has a chance to purchase: WTVR, WREG, WHNT, KAUT, KDVR and WGHP. And as I said before; WGHP should drop the FOX network and revert back to ABC.

Now, IF by any chance FOX should purchase WXLV 45 from Sinclair, WXLV should revamp and relaunched it's news department. Just my two cents.

Raycom owned both WTVR and WWBT temporarily in 2008 after Lincoln Financial Group put WWBT, WCSC and WBTV for sale. After that, WTVR went to Local TV. Sinclair wanted to buy WTVR and sell WRLH but The U.S. Department of Justice denied that. Sinclair still owns WRLH.

And the "News Now" thing...I can't picture it here in Richmond. No. No. NO! WWBT is the number one station since the 1980s thanks to NBC's top-rated primetime lineup at the time (still is even though NBC's ratings are on the decline), WTVR is still runner-up. WWBT produces the Fox News at Ten and Fox Richmond Morning News (on WRLH), and WUPV's CW News at 6:30. They'll be scrapped if "News Now" happens. That also mean terminating some people.

I still say BELO has a chance to purchase: WTVR, WREG, WHNT, KAUT, KDVR and WGHP. And as I said before; WGHP should drop the FOX network and revert back to ABC.

Now, IF by any chance FOX should purchase WXLV 45 from Sinclair, WXLV should revamp and relaunched it's news department. Just my two cents.

Why would WGHP go back to ABC, at least on their own volition? Other than that being their previous network, there's not much of a reason to. Fox is, overall, more popular nationally than ABC is, and I can't imagine ABC does well on WXLV.

That Fox also provides less network programming (two hours a day on weekdays and only a little more on the weekends, except for sports) means that the station can sell more ads and keep more of the money.

Will CBS affiliates WTVR' date=' WTKR, and WHNT be sold to The E.W. Scripps Company?[/size']

Why don't you speculate which stations will go which, like me and the others on the board. And even when we do that, it won't really matter, because once the we find out which groups will be getting which, people on the board (including me) will be getting pissed off, its one of those groups that's been getting everything these past two years.

So what do you think? Do you think these stations you've mention will go to Scripps. I don't think I remember them owning a CBS affiliate station. Maybe outside of WCPO when it was a CBS station from '61 to '95 and WEWS started its first nine years as a CBS affil. But I don't think you'll get anywhere asking these series of random questions.

Big difference between "should" and "will." WGHP's current affiliation contract with Fox runs out in 2018. Regardless of who the new owner is, the contract won't be cancelled early.

Now, WGHP needs new graphics, and bad. Their O&O knockoff graphics are painful to look at.

I forgot about WWBT. **facepalm**

Now, given that Media General now longer owns the Richmond Times-Dispatch, would they want to buy (back) WTVR? (They sold it in the wake of MG's merger with WTVR/Times-Dispatch owner Park Communications.)

With all due respect, please stop with these posts, they are getting grating.

I don't think anything has been said about the bidding process, other than that Sinclair is a front-runner for the group (typical).

Will KFOR and WDAF be sold to Cox Media Group?

You asked this very question two days ago - not sure why you're asking again. Nobody knows what stations will go where yet, and we probably won't know for some time. Anything that is said is speculation only and there has been plenty about those stations and all the others here already which you should read if you haven't.

Will all of the Local TV, LLC stations be sold to Cox Media Group?

This question I am not going to even answer...

It is very frustrating for some of us who live in a station that is owned and operated by Local TV, LLC that do not know quite yet where these stations are going, so please enough with the questions.

I see where you're getting this from since Cox got KOKI in the Newport deal. However, the only reason Cox got KOKI is to unite it with its radio stations (most notably KRMG). KFOR and WDAF won't be going to Cox. In terms of who will, keep in mind that Local TV owns a sister in OKC, KAUT. Hence, Sinclair probably won't get KFOR (and KAUT) because they already have KOKH and KOCB. In terms of KC, WDAF is the only KC station without a sister (KCTV with KSMO, KMBC with KCWE, and KSHB with KMCI). So don't expect Meredith, Hearst, or Scripps (respectively) to buy WDAF.

I forgot about WWBT. **facepalm**

Now, given that Media General now longer owns the Richmond Times-Dispatch, would they want to buy (back) WTVR? (They sold it in the wake of MG's merger with WTVR/Times-Dispatch owner Park Communications.)

Until Media General divested newspapers last year, it can trace its roots back to the mid-1800s with the Richmond Times and Richmond Dispatch merging to become the current Times-Dispatch. Richmond has always been home to Media General's operations.

Park only owned WTVR and Media General decided it was more important at the time to hang on to the Times-Dispatch than WTVR.

When Roy H. Park owned Park Communications, WNCT and The Daily Reflector in Greenville, NC were the group's flagships. When Park merged with Media General, Media General kept WNCT and the Daily Reflector was sold to Cox Newspapers in 1996, and sold to a local investor in 2009.

Will the Sinclair Broadcast Group buy WJW?

Dude. Seriously. Asking over and over "will X buy Y" is not a way to have a discussion. We don't know who will buy any particular station. Most of us have no inside information. Those of us who do usually can't or won't give that information out.

If you want to suggest why you think a particular company or group will buy a station, then that's fine... that's the start of a discussion. What you are doing is just rather annoying.

(Not to mention, going and making your font really big for no reason just makes it sound like you are shouting, which is equally distracting.)

Archived