Update: Tribune to acquire Local TV for 2.75 billion

Jterry

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why assume that WJZY will become the Fox affiliate? Maybe I just don't understand the dynamics of the Charlotte market, but wouldn't it make more sense for Fox to make WMYT the Fox affil. because it has a lower PSIP and make WJZY the MyNet affiliate?

What are you talking about? Do you mean lower physical channel? Because it won't matter because the tuners will still display the virtual channels. WJZY will still be on 46.1 (RF 47) & WMYT will still be on 55.1 (RF 39). Both stations (in fact all the Charlotte stations, including WBTV & WSOC) are on the UHF dial physically. And both share the same transmitting facility. Unless anything changes, it would be more logical for Fox to keep MyNet on WMYT 55. The only change I see off the bat is the branding from MyTV12 to My55. I mean why should they move? We still have yet hear where The CW is going to move to.

What are you talking about? Do you mean lower physical channel? Because it won't matter because the tuners will still display the virtual channels. WJZY will still be on 46.1 (RF 47) & WMYT will still be on 55.1 (RF 39). Both stations (in fact all the Charlotte stations, including WBTV & WSOC) are on the UHF dial physically. And both share the same transmitting facility. Unless anything changes, it would be more logical for Fox to keep MyNet on WMYT 55. The only change I see off the bat is the branding from MyTV12 to My55. I mean why should they move? We still have yet hear where The CW is going to move to.

Ok. I misread something. I understand what you're saying. One question I have is whether they will name WMYT after the virtual (PSIP) or digital (UHF) channel. It could go either My55, as you are saying, or My39. If the RF is lower at 39 instead of WJZY's 47, doesn't it make sense that WJZY becomes the MyNet affiliate? But if we follow the logistics of Virtual programming, WJZY would become FOX 46 and WMYT would stay My55.

All this is completely muddling by the fact that WMYT shows up on channel 12 on area cable systems! I guess they could cheat and do what the current Fox affiliate is doing and brand themselves as FOX Charlotte and MyCharlotte... It would solve a host of location problems.

(All knowledge here is attributed to Wikipedia)

I don't think that taking WCCB's "Fox Charlotte" name would happen. The goal in branding WJZY in the wake of the affiliation switch would be to make sure that people knew where Fox had moved, and "Fox 46" sounds more intuitive than "Fox Charlotte".

"My55" is likely to be adopted because it fits the pattern of the other MNTV O&Os using their PSIP numbers in their branding.

I don't think that taking WCCB's "Fox Charlotte" name would happen. The goal in branding WJZY in the wake of the affiliation switch would be to make sure that people knew where Fox had moved, and "Fox 46" sounds more intuitive than "Fox Charlotte".

"My55" is likely to be adopted because it fits the pattern of the other MNTV O&Os using their PSIP numbers in their branding.

Ok. So FOX is more likely to work with PSIP rather than UHF.

Ok. So FOX is more likely to work with PSIP rather than UHF.

It's not just a Fox practice. Most stations refer to their virtual channel number because that's how they ID'd themselves prior to the DTV transition when most moved their signals to the UHF band.

Bringing this thread back on the intended subject: I stumbled upon this story from Bottom Line Communications (a Kansas City media blog) on what the sale could mean for WDAF.

http://www.bottomlinecom.com/wdaf-tv-put-up-for-sale-by-local-tv/

The insider interviewed in the article seems to think that not only Belo and Cox could be good contenders for the Local TV stations, but in the case of WDAF, the person thinks that Schurz could be interested should Local TV sell off the group in pieces. I doubt that, considering that WDAF may be in a market too large for Schurz, all of that company's TV stations are in places with a market ranking above #50.

Bringing this thread back on the intended subject: I stumbled upon this story from Bottom Line Communications (a Kansas City media blog) on what the sale could mean for WDAF.

The insider interviewed in the article seems to think that not only Belo and Cox could be good contenders for the Local TV stations, but in the case of WDAF, the person thinks that Schurz could be interested should Local TV sell off the group in pieces. I doubt that, considering that WDAF may be in a market too large for Schurz, all of that company's TV stations are in places with a market ranking above #50.

FYI a link to this article was posted on this thread already (March 23).

FYI a link to this article was posted on this thread already (March 23).

I'm hearing some of you here speculating about as Local TV shipping off stations to a group or groups, there may be a possibility of at least an affiliation switch, should that ever take place. Do any of you here can see the possibility of certain FOX stations returning to their former homes, and can it happen? (WJW to CBS, WDAF to NBC, WGHP to ABC?) or will FOX not be that pleased, undermining the reason FOX wanted to be on the respective VHF channels in the first place?

I'm hearing some of you here speculating about as Local TV shipping off stations to a group or groups, there may be a possibility of at least an affiliation switch, should that ever take place. Do any of you here can see the possibility of certain FOX stations returning to their former homes, and can it happen? (WJW to CBS, WDAF to NBC, WGHP to ABC?) or will FOX not be that pleased, undermining the reason FOX wanted to be on the respective VHF channels in the first place?

I don't think that will happen anytime soon as far as the former Fox O&Os in that group are concerned, unless the new owners wind up in a rift with the Fox network like we've seen with a couple of Nexstar stations in the past.

The only way any of the former Fox O&Os switch affiliations is if one of the networks buy, and they don't often buy stations. There's a better chance of Sunbeam buying one of the Local TV stations.

I don't think that will happen anytime soon as far as the former Fox O&Os in that group are concerned, unless the new owners wind up in a rift with the Fox network like we've seen with a couple of Nexstar stations in the past.

That's why I want Nexstar to strike out on getting any of them.

But in all seriousness, the Fox deals for all the former O&Os last until 2017 or so. The chances of any of them switching networks immediately upon sale is slim to none.

And as far as Cleveland is concerned, CBS has actually been quite satisifed with WOIO's strong ratings performance (very few of the replacement 'Big Three' affiliates in the wake of the 1994 Fox-New World deal can lay claim to that). There's no need for either station to revert back to prior affiliations.

You may have a good point, but this is my opinion. IF and it's big if; if by any chance Belo Corp (here in Dallas) purchase KFOR NBC 4, KDVR FOX 31, WTVR CBS 6, WREG CBS 3, WHNT CBS 19 and

WGHP FOX 8; it would become one of the largest TV media companies in the country.

However; I would rather see WGHP switched back to ABC, and WXLV 45 switched back to FOX, so possibly FOX O&O may get WXLV and rebuild a in-house newscast. It's just my opinion folks.

Related to WGHP. As Karen Adams is tending to the Fox business in Charlotte, B&C states that Jim Clayton will run WGHP in the interim as acting President & General Manager. Last year he retired his post as Senior VP and GM of Fisher's flaship KOMO in Seatte.

I assume he'll be there until a buyer of the station is found and he'll probably leave after the consummation of the new owner.

Oh noooooo especially down in Kansas City! Can you believe that STILL, after ALL these years that people STILL don't know that WDAF and KSHB switched affiliations? Apparently, people STILL call in to KSHB and ask about Fox programming and the news product of WDAF. The same is true for WDAF with people still calling in and asking about NBC and news product related questions. To switch around the affiliations again would probably be absolute hell. Plus, WDAF would throw a hissy-fit as they've recently made massive gains in the market, so they wouldn't want to lose them because of a new NBC affiliation and viewer confusion that might last years. I doubt KSHB would really care though, as being a Fox affiliate again would probably do nothing but benefit them. NBC is helping to keep them down in a hole ratings wise.

Oh noooooo especially down in Kansas City! Can you believe that STILL, after ALL these years that people STILL don't know that WDAF and KSHB switched affiliations? Apparently, people STILL call in to KSHB and ask about Fox programming and the news product of WDAF. The same is true for WDAF with people still calling in and asking about NBC and news product related questions. To switch around the affiliations again would probably be absolute hell. Plus, WDAF would throw a hissy-fit as they've recently made massive gains in the market, so they wouldn't want to lose them because of a new NBC affiliation and viewer confusion that might last years. I doubt KSHB would really care though, as being a Fox affiliate again would probably do nothing but benefit them. NBC is helping to keep them down in a hole ratings wise.

*facepalm* Wow. 19 years later and they still can't get it right?

*facepalm* Wow. 19 years later and they still can't get it right?

I work at WDAF-TV. Yes, we still get calls about NBC programming, and KSHB gets calls about FOX. We've had KSHB guests show up here at WDAF. People are set in their ways. I sometimes joke that I'm waiting for the call from a viewer who wonders when Johnny Carson is returning from vacation.

Archived