Sinclair...Again

A3N

If they did buy WDAF (God forbid), they would actually have to invest in their station in order to stay competitive. Otherwise KMBC, KCTV, and even KSHB would smoke them.

Journal doesn't seem in a buying mood but based on how they run WTMJ, KTNV, and WFTX, they seem to be competent.

Nope. I personally doubt this. Ever since KSHB was forced to give up Wheel of Fortune due to the dumbasses up at Scripps corporate, WDAF has nearly been dominating the 5 and 6pm newscasts while KSHB fell back down to last. KMBC is slipping fast in those same timeslots and KCTV is this odd little (now) respectable station in the market.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So' date=' how long will it be before Sinclair starts looking into buying a whole network? Sumner Redstone can't live forever.[/b']

You say jump, they say 'how high?'. Local TV to Sinclair now sounds like an inevitability. With this KOMO thing, they have crossed the rubicon. No station, or station group, is too big, too expensive, or too respected for SBG to get their hands on.

According to this Wall Street Journal article dated 10/26/12, Redstone's grandchildren will inherit National Amusements (the parent company of CBS) and they cannot sell a controlling share of the company unless its properties start to greatly decline.

I just realized it, why we never heard about Post-Newsweek buying stations?

My question is why hasn't Hearst been buying any stations as of late? I know a swap with Scripps involving KNXV and WMOR/Cash seems very logical. As long as KNXV is used by Scripps as a "sandbox" for home-grown programming initiatives (they've made the worst syndication choices in the group), and WMOR is Hearst's only standalone independent, this makes sense. However, someone mentioned on another board that Scripps doesn't sell (they've sold WMC/Memphis years ago, their radio group, and closed some newspapers, so anything's possible).

Post-Newsweek should of bought WKRC in Cincinnati with the Local 12 branding, and I hope Young Broadcasting has some money, but the owners we would like to see buy some good real estate not buying, but we see that Smith Bros continue to enjoy their shopping spree. They must know something we don't know for them to gobble these stations up...Sinclair will owned 100+ stations if the FCC approve the sale (which I hope they don't) the former Fisher Stations deserve much better than Sinclair-

My question is why hasn't Hearst been buying any stations as of late? I know a swap with Scripps involving KNXV and WMOR/Cash seems very logical. As long as KNXV is used by Scripps as a "sandbox" for home-grown programming initiatives (they've made the worst syndication choices in the group), and WMOR is Hearst's only standalone independent, this makes sense. However, someone mentioned on another board that Scripps doesn't sell (they've sold WMC/Memphis years ago, their radio group, and closed some newspapers, so anything's possible).

I've wondered the same thing about Raycom....their last purchase was of the J-P group back in 2008 which required them to swap WTVR to Local TV to obtain WBRC. Their only other method of growth has been through sidecar deals in markets they already operate in (Honolulu, Jackson, MS, Toledo, etc...) I've also wondered why they have never made any effort to buy a station in Mobile, Alabama, a market surrounded by other Raycom markets and the only market in Alabama not to have a Raycom Media presence (but Mobile has 3 downtown skyscrapers owned by Raycom's "parent company" RSA aka Retirement Systems of Alabama). WPMI/WJTC was a prime opportunity, but either Sinclair outbid them or Raycom didn't want to operate the 4th place station...

I've wondered the same thing about Raycom....their last purchase was of the J-P group back in 2008 which required them to swap WTVR to Local TV to obtain WBRC. Their only other method of growth has been through sidecar deals in markets they already operate in (Honolulu, Jackson, MS, Toledo, etc...) I've also wondered why they have never made any effort to buy a station in Mobile, Alabama, a market surrounded by other Raycom markets and the only market in Alabama not to have a Raycom Media presence (but Mobile has 3 downtown skyscrapers owned by Raycom's "parent company" RSA aka Retirement Systems of Alabama). WPMI/WJTC was a prime opportunity, but either Sinclair outbid them or Raycom didn't want to operate the 4th place station...

And Raycom should of buyout WOAI as well since they have stations they owned over in Texas (KLTV/KTRE, KCBD, and KSLA)

Yeah, that was a missed opportunity for Raycom, whether they were outbid by Sinclair or not, to add to their Alabama station portfolio.

And Raycom should of buyout WOAI as well since they have stations they owned over in Texas (KLTV/KTRE, KCBD, and KSLA)

They could've done the same with KLRT/KASN instead of letting it fall into the hands of Nexstar/Mission, but outside of Scripps' recent acquisition of the McGraw-Hill stations and LIN's acquisition of the New Vision stations (even though they made an attempt at the Fisher stations), none of the major station groups have really stepped up to the plate as of late. Not even Meredith, which has a fairly small station portfolio and could afford to add another (one user in another thread mentioned them as a potential suitor for WHO-TV in Des Moines), even though much of their business revolves around their magazine publications.

They could've done the same with KLRT/KASN instead of letting it fall into the hands of Nexstar/Mission, but outside of Scripps' recent acquisition of the McGraw-Hill stations and LIN's acquisition of the New Vision stations (even though they made an attempt at the Fisher stations), none of the major station groups have really stepped up to the plate as of late. Not even Meredith, which has a fairly small station portfolio and could afford to add another (one user in another thread mentioned them as a potential suitor for WHO-TV in Des Moines), even though much of their business revolves around their magazine publications.

In other words, the ones that should be coming forward are not coming forward. That just leave everything open to Sincrap & Nexshit to take. I would rather see Fisher get broken down into three different spots. KOMO 4 & KATU on one (Scripps should've gotten that), The CBS affilis should've been on another group, (give it to a smaller group), and either Entravision or Una Vez Mas with the Univision stations. But hearing that LIN was the 2nd contender for the Fisher stations. I was pissed off that they didn't get it. Sinclair is now in unchartered territory. Thus seeing petitions like this. Because folks are fed up with the bullshit. I don't think anyone would ever see the day where one company take ownership. Right Now its 85, after closing it would 134? That's unprecedented and horrendous. They can take that $2B of M&A and make sure all the stations have news & local programs in HD. And start up news ops in the larger markets where they don't have or use to have its in-house newscast, in let say Pittsburgh.

It's not only David Smith (The Captain of the Ship) and his brothers, its David Amy, Michael Anderson, Stephen Mumblow, and 'Uncle Tom' (That's what I said) Armstrong Williams. And Perry Sook and boys at Nexstar too. Every time they announce a new merger & acquisition you know the stock reports say their stock skyrockets like they'd won the lottery or something. Nexstar is expected to get the ComCorp stations. Watch their stock is going to go through the roof when they announce it soon. Just Watch.

Armstrong, you better get stations your own way and not tie-in with David Smith's BS. Otherwise you're just nothing but a guinea pig of David Smith and the whole Sinclair Broadcast Group and his agendas, so the David can say to the FCC, this guy from this proxy company is Black. And the black ownership is fewer than 5%. Sad that the Roberts brothers from Roberts Broadcasting is going bankrupted.

In other words' date=' the ones that should be coming forward are not coming forward. That just leave everything open to Sincrap & Nexshit to take. I would rather see Fisher get broken down into three different spots. KOMO 4 & KATU on one (Scripps should've gotten that), The CBS affilis should've been on another group, (give it to a smaller group), and either Entravision or Una Vez Mas with the Univision stations. But hearing that LIN was the 2nd contender for the Fisher stations. I was pissed off that they didn't get it. Sinclair is now in unchartered territory. Thus seeing petitions like this. Because folks are fed up with the bullshit. I don't think anyone would ever see the day where one company take ownership. Right Now its 85, after closing it would 134? That's unprecedented and horrendous. They can take that $2B of M&A and make sure all the stations have news & local programs in HD. And start up news ops in the larger markets where they don't have or use to have its in-house newscast, in let say Pittsburgh.

It's not only David Smith (The Captain of the Ship) and his brothers, its David Amy, Michael Anderson, Stephen Mumblow, and 'Uncle Tom' (That's what I said) Armstrong Williams. And Perry Sook and boys at Nexstar too. Every time they announce a new merger & acquisition you know the stock reports say their stock skyrockets like they'd won the lottery or something. Nexstar is expected to get the Com Corp stations. Watch their stock is going to go through the roof when they announce it soon. Just Watch.

Armstrong, you better get stations your own way and not tie-in with David Smith's BS. Otherwise you're just nothing but a guinea pig of David Smith and the whole Sinclair Broadcast Group and his agendas, so the David can say to the FCC, this guy from this proxy company is Black. And the black ownership is fewer than 5%. Sad that the Roberts brothers from Roberts Broadcasting is going bankrupted.

I AGREE on what you said about Sinclair and Nexstar. why run 134 stations in its portfolio when you can have 62 or less stations?

Same on Nexstar's behalf, I have pre conceived notions that Nexstar is buying Communications Corporation of America Stations and yes (ladies and gentlemen, say it with me a virtual duopoly and triopoly in all of the stations the Com Corp and Nexstar owns and or operates.

As I write I am predicting an triopoly in Evansville, IN right now as I write and also virtual duopolies In Texas and Louisiana and its petitions (yes I already signed those petitions and hopefully some one in Capitol Hill and or the FCC can say Hey, We need to investigate the two companies that people have concerns with.

In other words' date=' the ones that should be coming forward are not coming forward. That just leave everything open to Sincrap & Nexshit to take. I would rather see Fisher get broken down into three different spots. KOMO 4 & KATU on one (Scripps should've gotten that), The CBS affilis should've been on another group, (give it to a smaller group), and either Entravision or Una Vez Mas with the Univision stations. But hearing that LIN was the 2nd contender for the Fisher stations. I was pissed off that they didn't get it. Sinclair is now in unchartered territory. Thus seeing petitions like this. Because folks are fed up with the bullshit. I don't think anyone would ever see the day where one company take ownership. Right Now its 85, after closing it would 134? That's unprecedented and horrendous. They can take that $2B of M&A and make sure all the stations have news & local programs in HD. And start up news ops in the larger markets where they don't have or use to have its in-house newscast, in let say Pittsburgh.

It's not only David Smith (The Captain of the Ship) and his brothers, its David Amy, Michael Anderson, Stephen Mumblow, and 'Uncle Tom' (That's what I said) Armstrong Williams. And Perry Sook and boys at Nexstar too. Every time they announce a new merger & acquisition you know the stock reports say their stock skyrockets like they'd won the lottery or something. Nexstar is expected to get the ComCorp stations. Watch their stock is going to go through the roof when they announce it soon. Just Watch.

Armstrong Williams shares the same conservative politics as SBG as a whole, but he's much like Alan Keyes - on the evangelical side. However, I wouldn't say David Smith is a "good Christian man." Wasn't he once busted with a prostitute in the late-'90s?

I would rather see Fisher get broken down into three different spots. KOMO 4 & KATU on one (Scripps should've gotten that), The CBS affilis should've been on another group, (give it to a smaller group), and either Entravision or Una Vez Mas with the Univision stations.

As for the Univision stations, at least for KATU/KUNP, KUNP shares many resources with KATU..... Building, studio, some staff, etc. So, it wouldn't really be advantageous to split it off.

Armstrong Williams shares the same conservative politics as SBG as a whole, but he's much like Alan Keyes - on the evangelical side. However, I wouldn't say David Smith is a "good Christian man." Wasn't he once busted with a prostitute in the late-'90s?

I believe this is now the definition for "Good Christian Man" as proven by Ted Haggard.

I believe this is now the definition for "Good Christian Man" as proven by Ted Haggard.

I personally think this is now a definition of "Good Christian Man" as proven by Ted Haggard of course. However, I personally think David Smith was the Jimmy Swaggart that got busted in the late 1990's with a prostitute by using a company car to do his hardcore business with.

Anyways, My Beef with Sinclair is; why in the world would they buy excessive amounts of stations without even considering selling TV Stations that they are not making much money off of advertisements, programming etc. I understand why they sold KSMO-TV in 2005 and following that WGGB-TV in 2006 or 2007 because they were not making much money off of those two stations, That I understand! Now, why are they even thinking that they own 100-134 stations where they could've at least sold the LMA'd Stations to other parties (besides Chesapeake TV, and or Mumblow and his godd*** shell corporations) As I say in mind: For everyone's sake, Can we just have separately owned and operated Television Stations without the excessive amounts of Shared Services Agreements, Local Marketing Agreements and Local Sales Agreements without the fear and or Anxiety that comes with it, please? It would be better off if those agreements would be gone. (unless there is a specific reason)

I personally think this is now a definition of "Good Christian Man" as proven by Ted Haggard of course. However' date=' I personally think David Smith was the Jimmy Swaggart that got busted in the late 1990's with a prostitute by using a company car to do his hardcore business with.[/font']

Anyways, My Beef with Sinclair is; why in the world would they buy excessive amounts of stations without even considering selling TV Stations that they are not making much money off of advertisements, programming etc. I understand why they sold KSMO-TV in 2005 and following that WGGB-TV in 2006 or 2007 because they were not making much money off of those two stations, That I understand! Now, why are they even thinking that they own 100-134 stations where they could've at least sold the LMA'd Stations to other parties (besides Chesapeake TV, and or Mumblow and his godd*** shell corporations) As I say in mind: For everyone's sake, Can we just have separately owned and operated Television Stations without the excessive amounts of Shared Services Agreements, Local Marketing Agreements and Local Sales Agreements without the fear and or Anxiety that comes with it, please? It would be better off if those agreements would be gone. (unless there is a specific reason)

I can guarantee you that any station group/owner would not have a tv station unless they are making enough money to cover expenses and have some left over. The issue is not whether SInclair keeps low revenue generating stations or not, the issue is that they want to buy up multiple stations in one market for their own personal gains. Unfortunately, the need to cut expenses and increase revenues will lead owners/ownership groups to consolidate operations, we may not like it but its the reality of tv economics. My problem with Sinclair in addition to the multiple station acquisition in one market and the cuts that they make to the stations, is that they have a need to use these stations for their own political agenda. I understand that its their tv stations and they can do what they please but at the same time, local tv stations are there to serve the public's best interest, serving your left-wing or right-wing viewpoints keeps the station(s) from covering news or other important issues surrounding the community objectively. Save the political rhetoric for cable- where it belongs, not on local television stations.

Playing Devil's advocate: Has anybody thought that Cordillera Broadcasting might be a sharp buy for Sinclair? They own the majority of CBS affiliates in Montana!

The only problem I can potentially see is the duopoly of KOAA and KXRM in Colorado Spring, CO. Any idea what the station rankings are there?

Any thoughts where there might be other problems (that could probably be solved by Cunningham or Deefield)?

Playing Devil's advocate: Has anybody thought that Cordillera Broadcasting might be a sharp buy for Sinclair? They own the majority of CBS affiliates in Montana!

The only problem I can potentially see is the duopoly of KOAA and KXRM in Colorado Spring, CO. Any idea what the station rankings are there?

Any thoughts where there might be other problems (that could probably be solved by Cunningham or Deefield)?

I did mention in a previous post that the acquisition of Cordillera would be one of the few ways Sinclair can break into an Arizona market (they own KVOA in Tucson). However, I don't know if Evening Post Publications (parent company of Cordillera) wants to exit TV broadcasting.

I hate to say this, but Sinclair SHOULD buy bush-league mom-and-pop FOX affiliate KUQI in Corpus Christi (and its LPTV MyNetworkTV sister KTOV). Ask anyone who lives there - Sinclair or Nexstar would be better than what they have now (but the stations fit better with Sinclair's regional cluster, and probably could be run out of San Antonio).

I did mention in a previous post that the acquisition of Cordillera would be one of the few ways Sinclair can break into an Arizona market (they own KVOA in Tucson). However, I don't know if Evening Post Publications (parent company of Cordillera) wants to exit TV broadcasting.

It's called strong-arming with frivolous lawsuits! Sinclair is bigger and badder than Cordillera or their parent, and they could possibly bully them into a deal.

It's probably worth mentioning that Cordillera is a privately owned holding subsidiary of Evening Post Publishing Company which is privately held as well. This means that Codillera might likely be easier to spin-off to Sinclair and depending on how the owners of EPPC are holding up with the economy and the newspaper business, they maybe more than ready to hand their 13 stations off to another 'investor.'

I can guarantee you that any station group/owner would not have a tv station unless they are making enough money to cover expenses and have some left over. The issue is not whether SInclair keeps low revenue generating stations or not, the issue is that they want to buy up multiple stations in one market for their own personal gains. Unfortunately, the need to cut expenses and increase revenues will lead owners/ownership groups to consolidate operations, we may not like it but its the reality of tv economics. My problem with Sinclair in addition to the multiple station acquisition in one market and the cuts that they make to the stations, is that they have a need to use these stations for their own political agenda. I understand that its their tv stations and they can do what they please but at the same time, local tv stations are there to serve the public's best interest, serving your left-wing or right-wing viewpoints keeps the station(s) from covering news or other important issues surrounding the community objectively. Save the political rhetoric for cable- where it belongs, not on local television stations.

I have to agree with you about the political rhetoric on cable where it needs to be. Also, I understand that Sinclair and their Multiple station acquistion, but it gets out of hand with them managing more and more stations and not managing their own debt problems. You may remember Sinclair almost filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy because of their debt and I am not saying this to contradict you or anyone else at all.

**I'm going to be very forward with everyone my opinion about Sinclair**

Sinclair Broadcasting Group in my physical opinion should've sold off the LMA'd stations and the stations that they are not making any money off of in the first place if they are 1) not making much revenue from programmming and or news 2) they would like to exit that media market for obious reasons like KSMO-TV) I wish the FCC would have step in sometime and force Sinclair to sell 1/2 of their stations and all the LMA'd stations instead of collecting them up for their politcal theories and or senior partner for the local marketing agreements and shared services agreements. I personally would like to see Sinclair's roster go from 100 to 45 instead.

It's called strong-arming with frivolous lawsuits! Sinclair is bigger and badder than Cordillera or their parent, and they could possibly bully them into a deal.

It's probably worth mentioning that Cordillera is a privately owned holding subsidiary of Evening Post Publishing Company which is privately held as well. This means that Codillera might likely be easier to spin-off to Sinclair and depending on how the owners of EPPC are holding up with the economy and the newspaper business, they maybe more than ready to hand their 13 stations off to another 'investor.'

I have to agree with you about the Strong Arming lawsuits! I personally think Sinclair and Nexstar is badder and bigger and very incompetent than Meredith, Raycom, Hearst Television and Gray Television Group (mind you that they are cheap on graphics, etc but their management can use a lot of improvement) and Lin Television. I would like to personally think all four Television station groups are very competent to own a television station and do respect the eight voices rule in each market.

Unfortunately, this is the same FCC, FTC and White House that gave a rubber stamp to the Comcast/NBCUniversal abomination. So that petition will barely be worth the 1-ply toilet paper it is printed on.

Now, let's be objective. Comcast has actually invested into the NBC O&Os unlike GE whom not only stripped them to the bare bones but sold off stations that are now basically waste lands in their respective markets...

The only reason WSYX could even be considered a player in Columbus is because they are the "home station" for THE Ohio State Buckeyes.

In terms of news coverage, it's WBNS, and then everyone else.

I just know when NBC owned WCMH, they did actually give WBNS a true run for their money. There were times when WCMH and WBNS were neck-to-neck in many newscast overall ratings.

I think buying these stations, along with the economic collapse of 2008 nearly killed them. The debt incurred in this deal alone forced the selloff of some of their smallest stations, and severe cutbacks throughout the entire company just so they could stay afloat without defaulting. Without Warren Buffett buying most of their newspapers and extending a loan, Media General would be in deep trouble right now...

Yep, for those 4 former NBC O&Os they were fools for purchasing them. I know the shareholders at Gannett were laughing because Media General is struggling now; whereas if NBC had just gave those stations to Gannett (which was a better fit), the likelihood of the mess 2 of those stations are in now wouldn't be so apparent.

Does anybody think Gannett would be a better fit for Fisher Stations such as the big ones KOMO & KATU??? Gannett has less ABC affiliates in the company chain... I would like to see Gannett get a FOX affiliate. However how can Sinclair owned 100+ stations. I don't see KOMO and KATU being fully staff-

Archived