Sinclair...Again

A3N

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KMOV is owned by Belo, KTVI is owned by Local TV.

Awesome, Sinclair can destroy TWO news departments here in St. Louis then.

I'm not sure what Sinclair is thinking though. Their GOP propaganda isn't going to sell in markets like Portland and Seattle.

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000E

If we want to do something, than lets do something about it. There is the complaint form right there.

Just so you know, you can only object to the transfer of a station if you operate another station in that market, or you reside in the market subject to the transaction.

I'm not sure what Sinclair is thinking though. Their GOP propaganda isn't going to sell in markets like Portland and Seattle.

KTVI-KPLR is -- more or less -- one shared news department, since KPLR's news operations were merged with KTVI's when Local TV went into the LMA with Tribune, and they share much of the same talent, with only a few exclusive to one station. If KDNL (which has no local newscasts of its own, just a couple of KSDK-produced newscasts on weekdays) is added, that would give Sinclair a virtual triopoly.

I just sent a complaint to FCC about Sincrap and Deerfield/Cunningham/Cheaspeake.

I did recieve a letter back from Journal about possbile buying some of Local TV stations. Nothing was really said but its start.

Two new article. All related to Sinclair's conference call on the Fisher acquisition.

First the B&C article states that David Smith can careless about the Aereo situation. Aereo is the firm that is airing OTA signals without the consent of the station. The article also stated that they probably won't stop acquiring, mentioning the FCC "UHF discount". TVNewsCheck states that they not only the frontrunner of the Local TV LLC and the rest of the Titan TV stations, but also the frontrunner Milton Grant stations (the one with the mimicked logos) yeah that one.

They are closing in on $2 Bil on M&As since the Four Points Media acquisition back in Fall '11.

All I'm going to say is, the folks that are over there, you're best bet is to remake those resumes, because layoffs will be eminent. Fisher sold their kingdom to the devil. And they will cheapen the value of those stations. If Scripps would've acquired KOMO & KATU, they would be really bigger cash cows.

Why do I have the feeling that the "UHF discount" has become a loophole now that we're past the digital transition and nearly all stations are on UHF?

That's been the loophole as far back as when Bud Paxson bought those UHF stations in the late 90s. Ion Media Networks are like at over 60% (that's way over the cap), but since almost all the stations are on UHF, the discount amounts them to over 30%.

Except that KMOV isn't for sale, let alone being bought by Sinclair.

The impression I've gotten from forums such as here is that Sinclair's right-wing bias [or, rather, the bias that company leadership forces onto the stations] isn't as big a problem as the company's cheapness when it comes to operating the stations. If they were pushing liberal propaganda but everything else they did was exactly the same, would most everyone here still be complaining? I would think so. (And they'd be right to complain, too.)

Except that KMOV isn't for sale' date=' let alone being bought by Sinclair.The impression I've gotten from forums such as here is that Sinclair's right-wing bias [or, rather, the bias that company leadership forces onto the stations'] isn't as big a problem as the company's cheapness when it comes to operating the stations. If they were pushing liberal propaganda but everything else they did was exactly the same, would most everyone here still be complaining? I would think so. (And they'd be right to complain, too.)

We have a right to complain whether Sinclair has a right-wing or left-wing bias. I have a political agenda myself, but it really doesn't factor into my television ownership opinion. Especially dealing with Sinclair and Nexstar. I think we can agree that their ownership practice, whatever our political sway is, is inappropriate.

God I hope the FCC will reject the deal between Fisher and Sinclair. I am getting tired of Sinclair's s***.

Pretty soon, that debt is going to catch up to them and it's not going to end pretty for these guys. I feel sorry for whoever is going to be stuck on this sinking ship.

Pretty soon, that debt is going to catch up to them and it's not going to end pretty for these guys. I feel sorry for whoever is going to be stuck on this sinking ship.

That's karma for ya.

Except that KMOV isn't for sale' date=' let alone being bought by Sinclair.The impression I've gotten from forums such as here is that Sinclair's right-wing bias [or, rather, the bias that company leadership forces onto the stations'] isn't as big a problem as the company's cheapness when it comes to operating the stations. If they were pushing liberal propaganda but everything else they did was exactly the same, would most everyone here still be complaining? I would think so. (And they'd be right to complain, too.)

I was referring to them possibly buying Local TV which owns KTVI. They already destroyed what little was left of KDNL's news department back in the early 2000's so Sinclair already has a bad rap in St. Louis. I'm just holding out hope that Tribune will just buy it outright since its already treated as a Tribune owned station already.

For me it's the combination of the two. Sinclair is horrendously cheap but the fact that they force their political opinions to the viewer in the form of GOP infomercials (like the ones on John Kerry and Obama) and Town Hall Meetings that only cover one side of the argument aren't doing the viewers any favors either. Which is why even though I didn't like Nexstar's buying spree, it didn't bother me as much since they aren't as blatantly partisan with their covering.

Local TV News needs to be as objective as possible and when you have a station that already has an established bias to one end of the political spectrum, it's hard for them to be objective and in the end, the viewer loses.

I would be saying this if Sinclair was a left-wing biased outlet as well.

The thing with Sinclair is, that decisions mostly AREN'T made on the station level, but the corporate level. They have a head of news and a head of programming in Baltimore. They force the stations to air the opinion pieces whether they like it or not (or even fit the overall demographic of their markets). What makes for a good TV station is when they look at each market they serve and tailor the news and programming around each market, not go by a "cookie cutter" approach that seems to be Sinclair's MO.

The thing with Sinclair is, that decisions mostly AREN'T made on the station level, but the corporate level. They have a head of news and a head of programming in Baltimore. They force the stations to air the opinion pieces whether they like it or not (or even fit the overall demographic of their markets). What makes for a good TV station is when they look at each market they serve and tailor the news and programming around each market, not go by a "cookie cutter" approach that seems to be Sinclair's MO.

Remember News Central? Wonder if they're going to resurrect that trash heap?

Sinclair's starting to remind me of Clear Channel and their rampant consolidation in radio. And both of them have already been on the brink of bankruptcy...

Yep, KOMO and KATU are going to be stripped to the bare-bones with this deal and they're going to try to run this station the same way they run their stations in places like Peoria and Dayton. Obviously that's not going to work because the competition in these markets actually put effort into their news product. The biggest winners in this deal, KIRO and KING in Seattle and KGW and KOIN in Portland. They must be jumping with joy right now.

Archived