Sinclair...Again

A3N

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Lord, nobody understands sarcasm anymore.

I guess it's because there is so much of an emotional investment on this issue that it's almost impossible to get the joke. I've had that happen to me on past occasions.

Of course, common sense died a painful, agonizing death a long time ago...

So, what are the "underperforming" Sinclair markets? KDNL is so stripped down, it's got to be making some money, but not as much as KMOV, KSDK, KTVI, and most likely on par with KPLR. Las Vegas and Raleigh/Durham are strange markets, both CW/MNT duopolies that they seem to be holding on to and they can't be making tons of profit on those stations. I'm thinking they're holding on to Vegas just in case Landmark decides to sell KLAS (or, and even more far left field prediction, Jim Rogers selling KSNV), then they could "sell" KVCW to one of their shell companies.

So, what are the "underperforming" Sinclair markets? KDNL is so stripped down, it's got to be making some money, but not as much as KMOV, KSDK, KTVI, and most likely on par with KPLR. Las Vegas and Raleigh/Durham are strange markets, both CW/MNT duopolies that they seem to be holding on to and they can't be making tons of profit on those stations. I'm thinking they're holding on to Vegas just in case Landmark decides to sell KLAS (or, and even more far left field prediction, Jim Rogers selling KSNV), then they could "sell" KVCW to one of their shell companies.

(rings bar bell, in a cheerful way) I do have to agree with you! (finally someone who makes sense on under performing stations that need to be put up for sale)

I personally think that KDNL needs an new owner versus being stripped down to the point it doesn't do newscasts under Sinclair! I don't know about the rest of the TV stations.

Good Lord, nobody understands sarcasm anymore.

Sorry for the non-sarcastic remarks, I had to let it go into a tangent and/or diatribe that I physically don't like Sinclair Broadcasting Group and or their operations and/or not meaning to sound rude,hurtful and/or harsh on my part. It just hurts me the most that Sinclair picks up stations that they buy and start guttering them up to the point that they can not perform their best. Especially, when they just bought more stations in Seattle. I understand why I had to enlarge the text to make sure everyone can understand why Sinclair and Nexstar is an incompent broadcasting group in the first place.

Basically, my point is I wish the FCC could investigate those two companies and keep an very close eye on those two in the first place and Sinclair ought to step up and start improving their stations instead of buying more and end the Shared Services Agreements and Local Marketing Agreements and Joint Sales Agreements.

I guess it's because there is so much of an emotional investment on this issue that it's almost impossible to get the joke. I've had that happen to me on past occasions.

Of course, common sense died a painful, agonizing death a long time ago...

I understand why I had to let myself let all out that I never ever like Sinclair Broadcasting Group, especially when they did News Central Format on most of their stations that ran news in the first place which made local news even non-existent for starters. Sorry for the emotional investment and a flippant response on my part, Sinclair is and still was a painful broadcasting corporation to this day!

Paperworks for WJAC' date=' WTOV, KFOX, KRXI & KAME are now up. $14 mil for WJAC's stock and $85 mil for the rest of purchased assets. That total's $99 mil.

EDIT: Revised 5/1/13

And the first series of stations just gotten the greenlight from the FCC yesterday (4/29). These are the lower-market Cox TV stations, WJAC, WTOV, KRXI & KFOX. The assignment of license for KAME to Deerfield was approved yesterday (4/30). And BTW, the approvals were two months after the paperwork was accepted for filing on February 27 (two months ago).

Do you think Sinclair is going to relight the in-house news ops. in Pittsburgh? I think not.

On an unrelated note, but it does related to Cox, rbr.com stated that the FCC also approved the sale of the Cox radio stations in six states including Hawaii and Connecticut to SummitMedia & Connoisseur Media.

On an unrelated note' date=' but it does related to Cox, rbr.com stated that the FCC also approved the sale of the Cox radio stations in six states including Hawaii and Connecticut to SummitMedia & Connoisseur Media.

I hope that the eqity from that deal enables Cox to make a play for LocalTV.

Taking a look at Sinclair's 2012 Annual Report (which can be read in full on www.sbgi.net; the market listings are on pages 2-4) most of Sinclair's stations are bottom dwellers.

In fact, the only "legacy" Sinclair stations (those owned prior to 2012) that rank #2 in their market are WCHS, WEAR and WGME.

Their #1 stations, WKRC, WRGB, WTVC, KFDM, KUTV & WMMT are all new acquisitions of Newport, Freedom & Four Points.

For the rest of the group, aside from KDNL (4th of 7) many of their FOX stations rank 4th in the market (except for WBFF, which is 3rd, and so is newly-JSAed KBTV in Beaumont, TX, which was a longtime NBC station prior to 2009), while their MyNetworkTV stations rank either 5th or 6th...depending on what competition they have with CW stations....Raleigh's CW ranks 5th while their MyNetworkTV station ranks 6th. In Mobile, their newly-acquired independent (WJTC) ranks 5th, while their MyNetworkTV station (WFGX) ranks 7th of 7. Their station in Tampa (WTTA) ranks 8th out of 9 stations in the market.

It appears that Sinclair has made a new appointment.

B&C states this morning that former WTVR ND Bill Anderson has been appointed as new director of news S&P (standards and practices). He'll be reporting to VP of news Scott Livingston. And he was appointed on Monday.

If they care, they can start new in-house news operations in markets where they don't have in-house news ops. But this is just a waste.

EDIT: Revised 5/1/13

And the first series of stations just gotten the greenlight from the FCC yesterday (4/29). These are the lower-market Cox TV stations, WJAC, WTOV, KRXI & KFOX. The assignment of license for KAME to Deerfield was approved yesterday (4/30). And BTW, the approvals were two months after the paperwork was accepted for filing on February 27 (two months ago).

And the deal is done. Just three days after the FCC gave them the greenlight, Sinclair has closed in on the Cox stations.

EDIT (5/3/13 at 1:27am/ET):

He're the consummation notes, posted nearly 90 minutes ago on the FCC site.

WJAC, WTOV, KFOX, KRXI & KAME were all consummated on the 1st of the month, two days after the FCC approved the sale of the four Cox proper stations and one day after the FCC greenlighted the sale of KAME to Deerfield. WHAM was consummated two days after it was approved by the FCC back in late January.

When will Sinclair close in on all of the the Barrington stations?

That's still awaiting for the FCC to greenlight it. Once they greenlight it, they have 90 days to consummate it. Now even though Sinclair has announced that the deal of the Cox stations have been completed, there will be a consummation notice posted. That should be forthcoming.

That WUTB application, which was filed on November 29, is still awaiting FCC approval, as well.

And the deal is done. Just three days after the FCC gave them the greenlight' date=' Sinclair has closed in on the Cox stations.

I just tured on WJAC to see if they're saying anything about the new ownership. They just had a Cox Washington Bureau report so I don't know when they will stop with that.

I just tured on WJAC to see if they're saying anything about the new ownership. They just had a Cox Washington Bureau report so I don't know when they will stop with that.

so, I guess the last Cox Washington Bureau report was today. If you do find out, tell all of us what they said about Sinclair and their "Rusty Dumpster" tactics.

I get to endure Sinclair three times. WJAC now owned by Sinclair. WWCP has their newscasts outsourced to WJAC. WWCP is in an LMA with WATM, so they produce morning updates on Good Morning America. Three products. Can't wait................. :beat:

I get to endure Sinclair three times. WJAC now owned by Sinclair. WWCP has their newscasts outsourced to WJAC. WWCP is in an LMA with WATM, so they produce morning updates on Good Morning America. Three products. Can't wait................. :beat:

Its like the Topeka Triopoly (NBC, ABC and FOX) only exception will be is repetitive newscasts in your media market. its like a man beating an cow over and over and over....... :beat: and besides be ready for the "rusty dumpster" repetitive newscasts, those get way booriinng after a while.

Its like the Topeka Triopoly (NBC, ABC and FOX) only exception will be is repetitive newscasts in your media market. its like a man beating an cow over and over and over....... :beat: and besides be ready for the "rusty dumpster" repetitive newscasts, those get way booriinng after a while.

That's a horse, by the way. Anyway... I'm so totally pumped for more than likely standardized graphics and newscast brands like 6 News on Fox 8 at 10:00. Or heck, maybe Sinclair will do what they did with WTWC and just shut down the news department because they aren't in first place.

That's a horse, by the way. Anyway... I'm so totally pumped for more than likely standardized graphics and newscast brands like 6 News on Fox 8 at 10:00. Or heck, maybe Sinclair will do what they did with WTWC and just shut down the news department because they aren't in first place.

Since when does a horse have white spots, a cow bell and no mane?

Archived