Sinclair...Again

A3N

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it possible for Sinclair to keep Fisher as a company to purchase more stations under than umbrella... like Cunningham or Deerfield?

Highly unlikely IMO. They would have to reassign the current Fisher stations to Sinclair, and have some of their existing shell stations moved to said Fisher shell company in order for it to make any sense. Totally unnecessary bordering on ridiculous.

Fisher will only be retained as a licensee name, and nothing more.

Some would say owning 112 stations is ridiculous.

The comments on this page.. Especially by SamUnreel.. Cool off. The heads at Sinclair are insane with all these acquisitions, they'll learn soon enough. I dont get these greedy station groups, you dont need a heap of failing stations to be profitable, just a few good ones. There are examples out there we all know about.

The comments on this page.. Especially by SamUnreel.. Cool off. The heads at Sinclair are insane with all these acquisitions, they'll learn soon enough. I dont get these greedy station groups, you dont need a heap of failing stations to be profitable, just a few good ones. There are examples out there we all know about.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "we bought too many stations at once and now we have to sell them or go under" stage.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "we bought too many stations at once and now we have to sell them or go under" stage.

me too! I personally can't wait for this to happen to Sinclair one day to the point that they really have to sell them and we'll have to sing Americana by Moe Bandy while Sinclair takes an massive Television Station dumping!

yes, they will learn one day that owning more stations is really really annoying!

Why Scripps is so successful. On that note, I would LOVE to see Scripps purchase KDNL and work the same process that they did with KNXV, WFTS, and KSHB to turn them into legit stations. Sinclair isn't doing anything with KDNL. It's EXTREMELY bad.

Why Scripps is so successful. On that note, I would LOVE to see Scripps purchase KDNL and work the same process that they did with KNXV, WFTS, and KSHB to turn them into legit stations. Sinclair isn't doing anything with KDNL. It's EXTREMELY bad.

agreed about why Sinclair is not doing any thing by bring back newscasts and also employees who want to work for KDNL-TV. Instead they outsource the newscasts to WSYX/WTTE (their sister stations to KDNL) because after the fact the newscasts from when they signed on to about 2002 is when the transmitter went down and the newscasts were down the drain and thats when the newscasts were cancelled.

This is the reason why Sinclair needs to sell off KDNL-TV immediately because its not turn over revenue and it was promised a restart of the newscasts and almost all of its employees on the last newscast were immediately after 2002 because of transmitter issue.

KTKA-TV was like that with its newscasts and those newscasts did not turn any revenue and that is when they pulled the plug on the newscasts in 2002 and then re-instated those newscasts in 2006 until the purchase of the station by a shell corporation that is called PBC Broadcasting that used to be controlled by New Vision TV.

Heck, I'd settle for Nexstar buying KDNL if they do to it what they did to WATN in Memphis. The only news that KDNL carries is a pre-recorded watered down version of the news that's produced by KSDK. Sometimes they simulcast KSDK if there is a breaking news/weather story.

It's pretty pitiful living in a major market and only having 3 stations to turn to for local news.

I wouldn't call KNXV a winner. Ever since last year's mandate to get rid of popular yet older-skewing and expensive game shows, their syndication product became lackluster at best--I think their lineup may be the worst of all Scripps stations, even comparing struggling WMAR. That's going to hurt the station in the long run, unless Scripps reverses their "home-grown programming"/"let's throw unproven product at the wall and see if it sticks, which it's not" initiative and buy popular, but less-expensive syndicated shows to put in as lead-ins to the news and network programming.

I wouldn't call KNXV a winner. Ever since last year's mandate to get rid of popular yet older-skewing and expensive game shows, their syndication product became lackluster at best--I think their lineup may be the worst of all Scripps stations, even comparing struggling WMAR. That's going to hurt the station in the long run, unless Scripps reverses their "home-grown programming"/"let's throw unproven product at the wall and see if it sticks, which it's not" initiative and buy popular, but less-expensive syndicated shows to put in as lead-ins to the news and network programming.

I wonder if they will ever reverse course and cancel their in-house product. All three shows (Right This Minute, The List and Let's A$k America) are terrible, but they are cheap to produce. So it somehow seems to work out in the long run.

WEWS still doubles-up Dr. Oz at 10 and 4 and has Live! and Katie Couric, and WXYZ still has ET for the remainder of this TV season (IIRC, they are set to drop it this September).

The in-house product mandates also extend to Raycom, which mandated clearance for their banal "America Now" strip (a co-production with ITV America) on their stations. WOIO had to drop "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" for the 2011-2012 season for "America Now," and no other station picked it up, which resulted in one episode featuring a Cleveland radio host's appearance to not be shown in his home city at all.

I wonder if they will ever reverse course and cancel their in-house product. All three shows (Right This Minute, The List and Let's A$k America) are terrible, but they are cheap to produce. So it somehow seems to work out in the long run.

KNXV just has the Scripps co-productions and "Katie" (which hasn't proven to be a runaway hit). They also give one hour to the Sales Department for a daily "lifestyle" show with paid segments. It doesn't help that we have other stations (a couple of them independents) that are willing to pay $$$ for the best syndicated shows. However, it seems that Scripps doesn't want to do business with CBS Television Distribution at all.

As for the "home-grown" shows, "Right This Minute" is a co-production with Cox and Raycom, and is being sold by MGM in syndication for the fall. I doubt they'll be able to get good time slots on the stations that have purchased the show, and will probably struggle to get a 1 rating nationally. "Let's Ask America" is a co-production with Warner Bros., but they're not selling it in general syndication. "The List" is produced out of KNXV, but has anemic ratings in its home market (FYI: "Right This Minute" is also taped in Phoenix, but by an independent production company).

Just having a quality newscast alone won't bring in viewers. You need quality lead-ins too.

KMGH hasn't gotten rid of J! and WOF yet...I hope Scripps reverses course before they can do so, they've been on the station forever and replacing it with Scripps's own game shows sounds very stupid. Especially when they'd be going up against news on KUSA and KCNC (KUSA also has ET at 6:30, but I don't know how well that does).

Did Scripps have a falling out with CBS Television Distribution or something?

I remember when they did that announcement that they were going to drop Wheel & Jeopardy like 18 months before it went in effect, my jaw literally dropped. I was like are they stupid? They stated that they only cared for their bottom lines (for obvious reasons because we were at the financial crisis), and that they didn't want to pay those heavy expensive license fees. Those other shows that the Scripps stations replaced (Let's Ask America, The List, RIghtThisMinute) while ratings are steady, they're not real winners. It's even more shocking that the shows are now aired on Sinclair's flaggy, WBFF. That's more revenue $$$$ for the Smith family in MD.

On the long run, Scripps is going to repent for dropping those two syndie staples.

WEWS still doubles-up Dr. Oz at 10 and 4 and has Live! and Katie Couric, and WXYZ still has ET for the remainder of this TV season (IIRC, they are set to drop it this September).

The in-house product mandates also extend to Raycom, which mandated clearance for their banal "America Now" strip (a co-production with ITV America) on their stations. WOIO had to drop "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" for the 2011-2012 season for "America Now," and no other station picked it up, which resulted in one episode featuring a Cleveland radio host's appearance to not be shown in his home city at all.

If WXYZ drops ET, then this will blow its longtime staples at the station. I don't think any other station have aired in the 30+ years the show have been on. WWJ would quickly grab that sucker, because it also have omg! Insider.

I wished they'd drop those low-rated money-saving shows, but I think the Lighthouse is standing firm on their shows. And they think that this will do well for the long haul? I think not.

Scripps will never admit that they made a mistake replacing WOF and JEO. To me Scripps seems to be a company that will invest in its product only if it is forced to do so (reactive rather than proactive), and when they do invest, it's always on the cheap. They're not a bad company per se, but groups like COX are miles better. I don't know why I have this feeling, but I think that Scripps will end up selling the group within the next few years.

I wished they'd drop those low-rated money-saving shows, but I think the Lighthouse is standing firm on their shows. And they think that this will do well for the long haul? I think not.

It's also going to hurt ABC primetime (at least the first hour) in the long run because the Scripps home-grown programs lead-in to network primetime, and Scripps has three times as many ABC affiliates as they do NBC. Although, I can see why Scripps chose female-friendly shows to replace them, since ABC skews heavily toward a female audience.

However, I don't see non-Scripps-owned KSNV in Las Vegas being highly affected when they give up "WOF" and "J!," because they're replacing them with PROVEN news programming and more spot avails for the station which is known for airing the most political ads in the country every two years.

Scripps will never admit that they made a mistake replacing WOF and JEO. To me Scripps seems to be a company that will invest in its product only if it is forced to do so (reactive rather than proactive), and when they do invest, it's always on the cheap. They're not a bad company per se, but groups like COX are miles better. I don't know why I have this feeling, but I think that Scripps will end up selling the group within the next few years.

It was an even bigger mistake when Scripps split the newspaper/broadcast TV and cable networks into two separate companies. Scripps Networks got the better leader who knows how original programming should be done, while E.W. Scripps was left with the bean counters.

However, I don't see non-Scripps-owned KSNV in Las Vegas being highly affected when they give up "WOF" and "J!," because they're replacing them with PROVEN news programming and more spot avails for the station which is known for airing the most political ads in the country every two years.

I'm glad you've mention about Intermountain West Communications' flaggy KSNV. Once they get rid of all those syndie shows, that's going to be open season for more political ads. But this Sunbelt flaggy is still taking a huge gamble as well to not have any syndie programming. And whether it will take a ratings dive. Because, while it is an necessity to have news in unorthodox time periods, I don't think it would give them a ratings boost, as many of them would probably prefer watching syndie fare. We'll see how this pans out, as they want all their syndie fare vacated by 2016.

Back to Sinclair: It is now one of the top five station group owners according to BIA Kelsey (2012 revenue). They were number six.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/67641/sinclair-hops-from-sixth-to-third-in-top-30?ref=search

I saw that when it first came out. ABC is still #1 in my book. Sinclair is obviously 3rd because of all those acquisitions they've made. But before long, in due time, they'll go back down below again.

I saw that when it first came out. ABC is still #1 in my book. Sinclair is obviously 3rd because of all those acquisitions they've made. But before long, in due time, they'll go back down below again.

I don't quite think that a rating system purely based on revenue is fair.

Archived