Sinclair...Again

A3N

Their contract with KDNL runs out in August of 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair used its other, more respectable ABC affiliates as leverage to keep ABC from trying to get onto another station. (In a market like Columbus, for example, ABC pretty much doesn't have anywhere else to go; WBNS and CBS probably have a very strong relationship, WCMH is an ex-NBC O&O that's probably locked in with the network for a while, and WTTE and WWHO are also Sinclair stations.)

And considering the fact that ABC's finished this season at fourth place overall in 18-49 (not to mention that they're ceding most of their sports programming to ESPN and other networks), they really don't have much to offer to any station that isn't KPLR or, hell, WRBU (though they'd be a last resort more than anything).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ABC should step in and yank the affiliation from them...even if forced to a subchannel...

I wouldn't go that far. If I were ABC, I would have a clause in their affiliation that requires them to produce and air their own local news. If this was a small small market that's one thing but this is a top-25 DMA. IIRC, KDNL's contract with ABC unusually does not have a clause that requires them to air local news. I'm sure ABC is embarrassed at KDNL's performance. But maybe they're perfectly content with just having an outlet for their programming in St. Louis... Nowhere else for them to go (realistically) other than KPLR or KTVI. I'm sure both are fine with their current affilitions however.

And after all, it's usually Sinclair signing an entire group deal for affiliation, this includes KDNL. Would you want to deny WTVC, WEAR, WCHS, and other stations from having an ABC affiliation because of the subpar quality of one station? Surely Sinclair isn't going to let that happen. Best thing I can suggest is that Sinclair sell KDNL (they probably won't however).

Cox did own this station at one point. Maybe they want it back...

EDIT: "channel2" beat me to some of the points I made. I agree with him completely though.

Their contract with KDNL runs out in August of 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair used its other, more respectable ABC affiliates as leverage to keep ABC from trying to get onto another station. (In a market like Columbus, for example, ABC pretty much doesn't have anywhere else to go; WBNS and CBS probably have a very strong relationship, WCMH is an ex-NBC O&O that's probably locked in with the network for a while, and WTTE and WWHO are also Sinclair stations.)

And considering the fact that ABC's finished this season at fourth place overall in 18-49 (not to mention that they're ceding most of their sports programming to ESPN and other networks), they really don't have much to offer to any station that isn't KPLR or, hell, WRBU (though they'd be a last resort more than anything).

Usually Sinclair groups KDNL with its more respectable affiliates when they renew their ABC contracts. So i would be surprised if they dont do the same thing this time.

Im already used to having an ABC affiliate run like a CW affiliate. So im not expecting this to change anytime soon.

There is always 4.2 or (more likely) 5.2 if they want to cut a deal with Gannett, but that would be embarrassing in a top 25 market. I agree that ABC needs to push the issue more and convince them to have competitive in-house newscasts as a condition of affiliation in high markets.

Those other stations mentioned often have more competitive newscasts and more local production, even if in smaller markets.

This could be the precursor for Sinclair to make their move for KTVI...and possibly other LocalTV stations...

By the time the newscasts end, KTVI could be close to or under new ownership. Right about this time last year, Newport announced who they were divesting. By December, the deals had already closed.

This could be the precursor for Sinclair to make their move for KTVI...and possibly other LocalTV stations...

By the time the newscasts end, KTVI could be close to or under new ownership. Right about this time last year, Newport announced who they were divesting. By December, the deals had already closed.

Speculation of course but that was my first thought too.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Another St. Louis station for Sinclair to ruin.

Well here is more fuel for the speculation fire (statement from KDNL GM) that I noticed in the artcle from stltoday.com that sanewguy posted (thanks btw, I couldn't do it on my phone)

"Tom Tipton, KDNL's General Manager, said it's undetermined whether KDNL will offer local news after the end of the year. "We haven't decided," Tipton said. "We won't make a decision anytime soon, probably the third or fourth quarter."

I wonder how willing Sinclair would be to invest in KDNL, after years of letting it run like it's a CW or MyNetworkTV station...by the sound of it, they don't operate on a big enough budget to produce local news.

Sinclair should just sell KDNL and get it over with.

I have to agree with you because Sinclair is running it like an top 10 CW affiliate instead of running it like an ABC affiliate. I think its time for Sinclair to get its brains and train of thought together and sell KDNL to someone else who can bring back the newscasts and run the station like it is an ABC affiliate instead of turning it into an top 10 affiliate of the CW.

I would speculate that Gray and/or Cox Media Group would buy KDNL outright, but that's a different topic for a different place. Personally speaking, I think Gray Television** would be the best candidate for KDNL since they run their ABC affiliates the correct way and move from the prejudice and or political affairs from Sinclair without anixety.

(that's if Gray is in a buying mood or not)

post has been edited to remove any profanity.

Doesn't WSYX do weather cut-ins for KDNL during GMA?

Yes.

I was surprised that KSDK didn't produce these since they have to make one for Today as well but I guess they couldn't get the logistics worked out on that.

okay, if I remember correctly, that KDNL, WHAM and all of the Sinclair owned ABC affliates are hubbed out of WSYX in Columbus, the last time I heard.

AFAIK, WSYX hubs: WSYX (of course), WTTE, WWHO, WHAM, WHAM-DT2, KDNL, and WDKY (all either affiliates of ABC, FOX, or CW). I only think they hub Rochester since they used to be hubbed out of Syracuse and Nexstar got that station so Sinclair had to find a new place for them to go. Sinclair really had nowhere else for them to go. Of course WHAM could've built its own master control but Sinclair is so cheap they rather just hub it out of somewhere. WDKY literally has no studios of their own. Their local production is done by WKYT and they have a local sales office of their own but it's very small with no place really for master control. KDNL I imagine is just a matter of cost control since it's Sinclair's only station in STL.

Funny thing is, for the most part Sinclair really has no "hub" for their stations. They do hub traffic (the sales kind) out of some sites but not master control. San Antonio for instance, has its own master control and does not hub any other stations. That's always surprised me for a company as cheap as Sinclair who knows it's a lot cheaper to hub master control in a couple of cities versus having it at the individual stations. I guess it's keeping people in work though so that's good. Shh, don't tell Sinclair I said this. They might start hubbing their stations and laying people off...

Having said that, I believe the rest of their ABC stations have their own master control.

I know Media General, a company which seems to be held in a little higher regard, hubs all its NBC stations out of WCMH (I don't know what it is about Columbus that lends itself well to this), and all its CBS affiliates and WJBF out of WSPA...

How do you find out who hubs what where, anyway? Is this stuff officially available somewhere, or does it just get out via what employees say or something?

AFAIK, WSYX hubs: WSYX (of course), WTTE, WWHO, WHAM, WHAM-DT2, KDNL, and WDKY (all either affiliates of ABC, FOX, or CW). I only think they hub Rochester since they used to be hubbed out of Syracuse and Nexstar got that station so Sinclair had to find a new place for them to go. Sinclair really had nowhere else for them to go. Of course WHAM could've built its own master control but Sinclair is so cheap they rather just hub it out of somewhere. WDKY literally has no studios of their own. Their local production is done by WKYT and they have a local sales office of their own but it's very small with no place really for master control. KDNL I imagine is just a matter of cost control since it's Sinclair's only station in STL.

Funny thing is, for the most part Sinclair really has no "hub" for their stations. They do hub traffic (the sales kind) out of some sites but not master control. San Antonio for instance, has its own master control and does not hub any other stations. That's always surprised me for a company as cheap as Sinclair who knows it's a lot cheaper to hub master control in a couple of cities versus having it at the individual stations. I guess it's keeping people in work though so that's good. Shh, don't tell Sinclair I said this. They might start hubbing their stations and laying people off...

Having said that, I believe the rest of their ABC stations have their own master control.

I won't say anything to Sinclair at all about the hubbing, but however its quite funny that San Antonio has its own master control, but I always wonder about Oklahoma City stations that are owned and operated by Sinclair being hubbed or not?

I know Media General, a company which seems to be held in a little higher regard, hubs all its NBC stations out of WCMH (I don't know what it is about Columbus that lends itself well to this), and all its CBS affiliates and WJBF out of WSPA...

How do you find out who hubs what where, anyway? Is this stuff officially available somewhere, or does it just get out via what employees say or something?

Simple google search. Also found out that WJBF/WAGT run their own master control, because the company that installed the master control at the new Television Park posted a picture on their website.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,27328064

The WSYX hub was found out through a former master control operator's Linkedin page: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steven-thompson/54/939/55a

I found out that WHAM was hubbed at WSYX from this site: http://www.cnyradio.com/2013/05/31/potw-the-hub-with-all-its-spokes-2011/

Also, you can read station EOE reports to see if "Master Control Operator" is a position they hired for. That also answers it a little bit.

I won't say anything to Sinclair at all about the hubbing, but however its quite funny that San Antonio has its own master control, but I always wonder about Oklahoma City stations that are owned and operated by Sinclair being hubbed or not?

I want to say OKC does their own master control but just making an educated guess. I know for a fact KABB outsources its traffic (again the sales kind, not the kind on the road) to KOKH's traffic hub.

Simple google search. Also found out that WJBF/WAGT run their own master control, because the company that installed the master control at the new Television Park posted a picture on their website.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,27328064

The WSYX hub was found out through a former master control operator's Linkedin page: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steven-thompson/54/939/55a

I found out that WHAM was hubbed at WSYX from this site: http://www.cnyradio.com/2013/05/31/potw-the-hub-with-all-its-spokes-2011/

Also, you can read station EOE reports to see if "Master Control Operator" is a position they hired for. That also answers it a little bit.

I want to say OKC does their own master control but just making an educated guess. I know for a fact KABB outsources its traffic (again the sales kind, not the kind on the road) to KOKH's traffic hub.

Understand about the KABB outsourcing its traffic (sales) to the traffic hub at KOKH, I thought there that KOKH was doing the main master control of it and the san antonio station.

Ok, a few things here:

First, this quote from the article "A Gannett spokesman said the decision to end the partnership is unrelated to Gannett's announcement last week that it is acquiring Belo Corp. of Dallas, which owns KMOV Channel 4 in St. Louis." is complete BS. Of course it does! Gannett is going to draw some scrutiny with it's Belo purchase and the STL market in particular. They are trying to convince everyone that Sander/Tucker will be operating the stations separetely. By all accounts Sander/Tucker's roles are basically going to be like a trustee, for lack of a better term. There is no reason to draw additional attention to yourself with another news share agreement in the same market. I don't expect them to say "Yep, our Sander's purchase of KMOV is why we did this" as that would draw an even more watchful eye. But, let's be real here this was all because of the Belo purchase.

I wouldn't go that far. If I were ABC, I would have a clause in their affiliation that requires them to produce and air their own local news. If this was a small small market that's one thing but this is a top-25 DMA. IIRC, KDNL's contract with ABC unusually does not have a clause that requires them to air local news. I'm sure ABC is embarrassed at KDNL's performance. But maybe they're perfectly content with just having an outlet for their programming in St. Louis... Nowhere else for them to go (realistically) other than KPLR or KTVI. I'm sure both are fine with their current affilitions however.

And after all, it's usually Sinclair signing an entire group deal for affiliation, this includes KDNL. Would you want to deny WTVC, WEAR, WCHS, and other stations from having an ABC affiliation because of the subpar quality of one station? Surely Sinclair isn't going to let that happen. Best thing I can suggest is that Sinclair sell KDNL (they probably won't however).

Usually Sinclair groups KDNL with its more respectable affiliates when they renew their ABC contracts. So i would be surprised if they dont do the same thing this time.

Im already used to having an ABC affiliate run like a CW affiliate. So im not expecting this to change anytime soon.

No doubt Sincair uses the other ABC affiliates as leverage at negotiation time.

I think it's common knowledge that for whatever reason KDNL's agreements with ABC have never contained a "newscast clause", if you will. However, I'd bet a chunk of money there is some sort of "newscast clause" written into the latest agreement between Sinclair & ABC. I don't think it's a coincidence that less year after the agreement was signed both of Sinclair's ABC stations without news (KDNL & WXLV) either launched or announced that they will have news. Granted both were via news share agreements with KSDK & Time Warner Cable. But, I'd be shocked if Sinclair did this on their own without some sort of persuasion.

"Tom Tipton, KDNL's General Manager, said it's undetermined whether KDNL will offer local news after the end of the year. "We haven't decided," Tipton said. "We won't make a decision anytime soon, probably the third or fourth quarter."

Translation: "We need to find another partner, convince the folks in Hunt Valley, MD to restart the in-house operation, or convince ABC to let us go without again."

All told this could be a bit of a bessing in disguise. If ABC has a "newscast clause" written into their agreement w/ KDNL/Sinclair (which I think they do) this could essentially force them to restart an in-house operation if they can't find a new partner.

Ok, a few things here:

First, this quote from the article "A Gannett spokesman said the decision to end the partnership is unrelated to Gannett's announcement last week that it is acquiring Belo Corp. of Dallas, which owns KMOV Channel 4 in St. Louis." is complete BS. Of course it does! Gannett is going to draw some scrutiny with it's Belo purchase and the STL market in particular. They are trying to convince everyone that Sander/Tucker will be operating the stations separetely. By all accounts Sander/Tucker's roles are basically going to be like a trustee, for lack of a better term. There is no reason to draw additional attention to yourself with another news share agreement in the same market. I don't expect them to say "Yep, our Sander's purchase of KMOV is why we did this" as that would draw an even more watchful eye. But, let's be real here this was all because of the Belo purchase.

No doubt Sincair uses the other ABC affiliates as leverage at negotiation time.

I think it's common knowledge that for whatever reason KDNL's agreements with ABC have never contained a "newscast clause", if you will. However, I'd bet a chunk of money there is some sort of "newscast clause" written into the latest agreement between Sinclair & ABC. I don't think it's a coincidence that less year after the agreement was signed both of Sinclair's ABC stations without news (KDNL & WXLV) either launched or announced that they will have news. Granted both were via news share agreements with KSDK & Time Warner Cable. But, I'd be shocked if Sinclair did this on their own without some sort of persuasion.

Translation: "We need to find another partner, convince the folks in Hunt Valley, MD to restart the in-house operation, or convince ABC to let us go without again."

All told this could be a bit of a bessing in disguise. If ABC has a "newscast clause" written into their agreement w/ KDNL/Sinclair (which I think they do) this could essentially force them to restart an in-house operation if they can't find a new partner.

I think part of the reason KDNL partnered with KSDK in terms of news sharing in the first place was because their latest contract with ABC did require a local newscast of some sort (the contract was renewed in Summer 2010). The newscast will end at the 3 year anniversary (It started on January 3, 2011).

That said, I wonder if this latest development will motivate KPLR and Tribune to go after the ABC affiliation like it tried to in the past.

Archived