Sinclair...Again

A3N

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From this B&C blog, retired KMTR meteorologist Joseph Calbreath is sounding off on the potential Fisher-Sinclair acquisition.

He basically talks about how the lobbyist have changed the TV landscape for 30 years and such. And he even compared "Sinclare" (sic) to Fox News.

Okay. Here's the paperwork for KMPH-KFRE, KPTM & KPTH, with lineup and purchase agreement.

Looks like KXVO & KMEG will continue to be assigned by its current licensees (Mitts & Waitt, respectively); Sinclair will continue to honor the grandfathered LMAs that Pappas has done.

I would've assumed, one of Sinclair's shells (Cunningham & Deerfield) would have came and acquired KXVO & KMEG. But as we've saw in recent months, anything can happen at an instant.

Here's the Central Cali recollection. Upon consummations of both Fisher & Titan acquisitions, both Sinclair & Nexstar would have racked up the stations that affiliated by CBS, NBC, FOX & CW in both Fresno & Bakersfield markets. Nexstar already have NBC (KSEE & KGET) in both markets. Sinclair will have FOX (KPTH & KBFX) in both markets. Nexstar already have CBS (KGPE) in Fresno, while Sinclair will get CBS (KBAK) in Bakersfield. Nexstar already have the CW (KGET-DT2) in Bakersfield while Sinclair will have the the CW (KFRE) in Fresno. Now the question will be this. Where will they be hubbing at? Fresno?

the day when I never thought I would see this copyright tag on this station.

let me guess... Copyright 2013 Sinclair Broadcasting Group or Sinclair Television Group and what station did you see this copyright??

I think he was referring to WTOV.

WTOV also just lost longtime staffer Eric Minor, who will become the Director of Student Careers and Opportunities at the P.I. Reed School of Journalism at West Virginia University.

A KMTR meteorologist who fortunately retired on May 31 has something to say about what's happening at his old station (click the link...it's long):

"...The lobbyist in Washington have done a good job of changing the laws over the last 30 years and now almost anything goes. The FCC is a joke in my opinion. They go berserk if you slip and say a four letter word by accident or have a wardrobe malfunction, but could care less if big communications companies eliminate any competition in their attempt to dominate the information we receive."

"[sinclair Broadcast Group is] very similar to the owners of FOX news in my opinion, which is not very fair and balanced no matter what they say. The only other voice we [in Eugene] will have is KEZI the ABC affiliate. They also are the last locally own[ed] TV station in our area, but for how long?"

A KMTR meteorologist who fortunately retired on May 31 has something to say about what's happening at his old station (click the link...it's long):

"...The lobbyist in Washington have done a good job of changing the laws over the last 30 years and now almost anything goes. The FCC is a joke in my opinion. They go berserk if you slip and say a four letter word by accident or have a wardrobe malfunction, but could care less if big communications companies eliminate any competition in their attempt to dominate the information we receive."

"[sinclair Broadcast Group is] very similar to the owners of FOX news in my opinion, which is not very fair and balanced no matter what they say. The only other voice we [in Eugene] will have is KEZI the ABC affiliate. They also are the last locally own[ed] TV station in our area, but for how long?"

Absolutely brilliant take on the consolidation situation. What if the FCC was more heavy-handed in station ownership regulation?

In my opinion, this whole M&A situation sounds very similar to the post-1990 consolidation of ITV in the UK. At first, there were numerous locally-owned and community-dedicated franchises in the ITV network; 1990 saw the Broadcasting Act pass, allowing for large-scale consolidations with the abolition of the IBA. By 2004, there were only five franchise owners of the original 17-18 (Granada, Carlton, STV, UTV and Channel Television). The two largest franchise holders, Carlton and Granada, merged in 2004 to form ITV plc; Channel Television was purchased by ITV plc in 2011. Today, there's just ITV (England, Wales, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands,) STV (most of Scotland,) and UTV (Northern Ireland).

What happened? Staff were laid off, regional/local TV commitments began to fade as centralization hit a fever pitch (it's all London, London, London!) and any sense of regional identity more or less vanished.

While the ongoing M&A here in the United States does not have all of the same attributes of the consolidation of ITV (in WATN-TV's case, Nexstar has invested quite a bit into remaking the station from the ground up,) many are there: the legislation (in our case, the Telecommunications Act of 1996,) the big players (Sinclair & Nexstar especially,) and the numerous staff layoffs and consolidation (in most cases).

Bottom line, is this a bad time for local television news in the US? Yes. Will the M&A and consolidation have negative consequences on local communities? Yes. Will this reach ITV-scale proportions? Not likely, but never say never!

The Register-Journal now stating that an anchor pair from KMTR that was laid-off last week have found a new home. Locally-owned KEZI 9!

Matt Templeman and Renee McCullough will anchor KEZI 5pm, 6pm & 6:30pm newscast on the first day of the July Books, starting June 27th. The husband-wife anchor duo Brian and Jennifer Richardson will continue to anchor the 11pm show, and will continue to report during the earlier shows.

It's exciting that Chambers have embrace them with open arms, while corporate starts trimming the fat meat at 13 & 16. And it will not end their. Wait until Sinclair comes to the fold later this year. Ultimatum will come about.

Also, almost two weeks after the sale was closed, the website copyright on the bottom was still "© 2011-2012 Newport Television", now it says "© 2013 Fisher Communications". No mention of Roberts Media, so we know who the real silent partner is.

Newsblues is reporting that Sinclair is interested in WJLA and is expected to bid on it.

They already have a Triopoly 50 miles away, and they can't even invest into the stations they already own. What the Hell?!! All that $2B of acquisition money, they could've restarted in-house news ops on WPGH & KDNL and started in-house news ops for WTWC & WXLV, and then have some more dough to invest in new sets/graphics for markets where their lacks it. All they're doing is pleasing the stock market when they strike another acquisition deal. If this goes through, this would 100 times worst than the Young/KRON debacle if Sinclair get the house that Joe built. It would be A Suicide move indeed.

If there's any prayer, let's pray for the Mouse to get WJLA. There's hope y'all. And I'm not given up that hope for ABC, even if outgoing Disney head Bob Iger doesn't feel that way about OTA broadcasting.

They already have a Triopoly 50 miles away, and they can't even invest into the stations they already own. This would 100 times worst than the Young/KRON debacle if Sinclair get the house that Joe built. It would be A Suicide move indeed.

If there's any prayer, let's pray for the Mouse to get WJLA. There's hope y'all. And I'm not given up that hope for ABC, even if outgoing Disney head Bob Iger doesn't feel that way about OTA broadcasting.

Could it even send ABC to another station? Perhaps they could poach an affiliation somewhere else, or WMAR could become a two-market station and put up a satellite in the Washington area.

Could it even send ABC to another station? Perhaps they could poach an affiliation somewhere else, or WMAR could become a two-market station and put up a satellite in the Washington area.

Picturing that we have two big O&Os in DC, I don't want to see an affil switch with Gannett's WUSA 9. CBS on Channel 7 and ABC on Channel 9? That would sound awful. It would also be stupid if Tribune acquires ABC on channel 50, knowing how bad their ops are in NOLA. But of course it all depends on when the affiliation agreement ends, and they could extend the agreement. And because the station is currently the longest-tenured ABC affiliate, It would be stupid for the ABC affiliation to leave Channel 7, even if Massa David and his little devils (that's what I said) from 50 miles away grab the station.

DCRTV is reporting that Sinclair is ALSO interested in WDCW should Tribune put it on the market and they get WJLA...

Somewhere I think Gannett is smiling this morning. (They also could make huge gains in Little Rock as well with KATV going to Sinclair).

DCRTV is reporting that Sinclair is ALSO interested in WDCW should Tribune put it on the market and they get WJLA...

SMMFH!!!! I wouldn't be too shocked if Tribune hands in WDCW to Sinclair. It fits their older station line. I guess it goes well with WNUV & WUTB.

I guess nobody cares that Sinclair owns too damn much. Any new acquisition deal would please the stock market as a whole. That's all they're doing. Are they're going to invest into their stations. If they do invest, they'll invest to consolidate, otherwise they only care about the revenue. How they can vacuum the money out of their stations, instead of the ratings and the integrity of the stations newscasts.

Where is Sinclair even getting all of this money though? I feel as if there is a massive secret ass scandal going on...they will soon hit 200 stations everybody! Just watch it.

If they get Allbritton whole and Local TV whole, that puts them at 169. It doesn't seem so far-fetched after all. No other company has even 80.

If they get Allbritton whole and Local TV whole, that puts them at 169. It doesn't seem so far-fetched after all. No other company has even 80.

It also makes Gannett's acquisition of Belo and raising their station total up to 43 seem like absolutely nothing and totally reasonable.

How close are they to the 39% cap? I know they will probably just use their shells for future acquisitions beyond that, but if they get both Local TV and Allbritton both whole, they've gotta be pretty close.

How close are they to the 39% cap? I know they will probably just use their shells for future acquisitions beyond that, but if they get both Local TV and Allbritton both whole, they've gotta be pretty close.

The 39% cap can be easily overcome using the UHF loophole. Since most TV stations after the digital transition are UHF now, and those only count as half toward the 39%, it's essentially become a useless law. Sinclair can keep buying for a long time if they so choose.

It also makes Gannett's acquisition of Belo and raising their station total up to 43 seem like absolutely nothing and totally reasonable.

Gannett could gain Scripps and Hearst (not likely going to happen) and still be nowhere near Sinclair.

Archived