Sinclair...Again

A3N

It gets worse and worse.

Now the B&C states that Sinclair is willing to buy the reclaimed spectrum in a "forward auction" during the incentive spectrum auction proceedings if the 'FCC [broadband] Band Plan is right'. The article stated that Sinclair would buy a channel and use that for Wireless advancements. Sinclair can't get every airspace in the entire country. They are not willing to sell any of its spectrum in the 'reverse auction', as FCC's initial plan is to seek more than 120mhz or (20 Channels from 31-51) of spectrum.

Sinclair has 140 stations in its place, and they want to get the airspace for more channels in the higher markets? Sinclair doesn't need more airspace. These other companies that willing to give up the spectrum, as these ones that don't give a damn about the future of broadcast television, are NRJ TV, OTA Broadcasting, LocusPoint Media, Local Media TV, etc are the Spectrum Speculators. Sinclair would just gobble more and more and before you know, Sinclair would become the largest mass media unit in the country, joining the Big-Six mass media conglomerates.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sinclair doesn't make movies, or produce any TV shows, or own an over-the-air network or any cable channels...

And, to be honest, I think that eventually, the over-the-air networks will stop seeing any use for their local stations and drop them altogether (at least if they stop acting like non-linear television is the boogeyman that wants them dead). If/when this happens, the value of over-the-air TV is going to go down, and companies like Sinclair have no interest in using local programming to fill the void, nor are they going to be the ones keeping OTA/linear TV viable.

Sinclair had motivation to buy the flagging Dielectric; CEO David Smith wanted to ensure that support was still available for his stations' transmitters (after one burned out and Dielectric, going out of business, refused to fix it).

In my opinion, this acquisition is hugely important to ensure reliability of OTA television when things fail and/or for spectrum repack plans—I actually like something Sinclair did, for once.

Meanwhile, Sinclair is positioning itself with the purchase of a major transmission antenna supplier.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0086/sinclair-to-buy-dielectric/219921

Sinclair had motivation to buy the flagging Dielectric; CEO David Smith wanted to ensure that support was still available for his stations' transmitters (after one burned out and Dielectric, going out of business, refused to fix it).

In my opinion, this acquisition is hugely important to ensure reliability of OTA television when things fail and/or for spectrum repack plans—I actually like something Sinclair did, for once.

And that station he's talking about is WRLH, Young's WRIC (and a PBS station) in Richmond, which all three share that same antenna facility. They operating in lower power because of failure and its now the fix is delayed because of SPX's (Dielectric's parent company) folding announcement. Of course this comes after FCC has placed a moratorium (or a freeze) on 301 TV station modification application filings, pending the outcome of those upcoming spectrum auctions, which set to begin in June 2014. That really took a big hit on Dielectric's business. They were working hard when stations had viewer difficulty after the DTV transition four years ago. That's when their business boomed.

Wow! Massa David got pissed off when Dielectric told him, they can't fix it because we're going out of business. He was like forget this, Dielectric is on many of my properties, I'm going to have to buy this. And once he bought it immediately, he was firm when he said "...go fix my antenna"!!!. Hahahaha!! LOL.

The fear in me is that Sinclair might be out for one of the big groups like Cox (whole), Hearst, Scripps or Gannett...

Scripps and Hearst would never sell their damn souls to those demons, ESPECIALLY Hearst. If anything, I think Scripps would buy more than sooner than they would sell. But given their recent purchase of all of the McGraw-Hill stations, I don't think we'll even need to talk about Scripps for a while.

But Gannett? Oh please. Seeing as they just bought all of Belo, Gannett wouldn't dare let Sinclair try to touch them. If that EVER happened, it's because Sinclair got all of Local TV and whoever that other group is, adding up their station total to around 160 or so, then got lazy and wanted to try to take over Gannett just so they could get up to 200.

Scripps and Hearst would never sell their damn souls to those demons, ESPECIALLY Hearst. If anything, I think Scripps would buy more than sooner than they would sell. But given their recent purchase of all of the McGraw-Hill stations, I don't think we'll even need to talk about Scripps for a while.

But Gannett? Oh please. Seeing as they just bought all of Belo, Gannett wouldn't dare let Sinclair try to touch them. If that EVER happened, it's because Sinclair got all of Local TV and whoever that other group is, adding up their station total to around 160 or so, then got lazy and wanted to try to take over Gannett just so they could get up to 200.

Sinclair didn't get Local TV LLC or that other group that was said yet. I hope that's not the case, but its like y'all saying it like its a 'foregone conclusion'. Some of y'all stated that after the MG-Young connection, that it is likely that Sinclair could get those stations. But y'all saying it like they have already got it.

Will The E.W. Scripps Company buy the Allbritton stations?

Oh not this again.....I also see this is your first post. :rolleyes:

We. Don't. Know. You can't just come around and say "will A buy B?" almost every other day. We'll know who buys Allbritton when an announcement is made and the sale is finalized. Until then, we're just as blind as you are with regards to this sale, so quit asking!

We. Don't. Know. You can't just come around and say "will A buy B?" almost every other day. We'll know who buys Allbritton when an announcement is made and the sale is finalized. Until then, we're just as blind as you are with regards to this sale, so quit asking!

Amen AtlantaTV! Preach!

Watch them try to buy AVID next....

They've been in trouble thanks to FinalCutPro and Adobe Creative suite....and for anyone who's ever tried AVID systems, it's like a foreign language compared to the other NLE systems.

A lot of Sinclair's stations use AVID equipment and software.

I think this is a one-time deal. Without Dielectric being saved, transmitter repairs across the US and a spectrum repack could have been nigh impossible.

What did I say earlier:

Hey y'all.

We all told him. So now I'm suggesting to all of you is to ignore him now. It's a waste of time for you to constantly ask him to refrain from asking those questions in big fonts, and he just don't want to comply, as he's been asked numerous times.

So I think the best thing for us to do (the ones that told this particular user on here, including me) to please ignore him. Don't get mad at him. Just like mre29 stated above, Don't feed the trolls. And if he continues, he'll probably wish he would've thought twice.

You don't have to feed the troll by answering to him, period. And I don't think we suppose to have more than one user account. So it might be safe to say that his ultimate fate is eminent at this point.

So I'm suggesting to all of you to please don't feed the trolls. The trolls will go back to their living quarters sooner than you think. And let's continue with this interesting discussion about Sinclair on this thread. Thank You.

Sinclair didn't get Local TV LLC or that other group that was said yet. I hope that's not the case, but its like y'all saying it like its a 'foregone conclusion'. Some of y'all stated that after the MG-Young connection, that it is likely that Sinclair could get those stations. But y'all saying it like they have already got it.

An alternate possibility is that the group goes piecemeal and they separate and sell individually. Given the likely cost of acquiring the group (among the 15 largest in the last BIA-Kelsey survey) - actually larger than Scripps in terms of revenue (so that is unlikely IMO), there are only three possibilities:

1) Sinclair (it ranks high enough and has the shells to absorb),

2) One of the big groups that had been quiet until lately (Hearst and Cox most likely after the Gannett purchase of Belo) but Local TV LLC doesn't fit that well in their portfolios and there is no evidence of them creating shells so some would have to be shaken off,

3) Piecemeal sale.

Apart from the networks themselves, the only groups larger than Local TV LLC that could make the purchase are Gannett (are they up to it again?), Sinclair, Hearst, Tribune (highly unlikely), Media General (post-Young; neither bigger alone), Cox and Raycom (marginally bigger so would be asking for a lot). There are numerous conflicts in most cases, hence a multi-company piecemeal option is the most likely non-Sinclair sale option.

At least Allbritton fits in most portfolios, especially without WJLA, with many companies able to absorb whole or with one conflict.

Oops! I meant to say "IF Sinclair got"! My bad!

Well, Sinclair closed Acrodyne transmitters after the DTV conversion was done, but kept the service portion of the company open. From what I've been told, Acrodyne's equipment was made with third-party parts, so finding a replacement exciter or tube isn't exactly hard to find for their transmitters. On the other hand, Dielectric has proprietary designs for some of their antennas.

I'm on my phone but I saw an article on stltoday.com saying that KSDK is going to axe the newscasts it produces for KDNL effective December 31.

I'd post the link but I don't have that capability on my phone.

Will Sinclair just sell this station already?

Archived