The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

"Watch ABC 7 Eyewitness News This Morning, weekdays at 4:30AM."

"We might be the lead-in."

The Cubs game has resumed.

They just might... ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 10 with Terrell Brown, Judy Tsu and Tracy Butler...?

All kidding aside, I wouldn't want to be in charge of the overnight scheduling department. The game is only in the top of the 8th, and it's close bottom of the 8th, but it's not really close, so it could go extras probably won't go extras. After that, I'd imagine they have to air 'Kimmel' and 'Nightline', so that's taking them through like 2:15. Then, they had planned on airing most of primetime overnight, but with less than 2 hours (by that point) til 'America This Morning', that's going to be essentially impossible, so I have a feeling something's getting dumped to Saturday or Sunday afternoon before all is said and done.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't want to be in charge of the overnight scheduling department. The game is only in the top of the 8th, and it's close bottom of the 8th, but it's not really close, so it could go extras probably won't go extras. After that, I'd imagine they have to air 'Kimmel' and 'Nightline', so that's taking them through like 2:15. Then, they had planned on airing most of primetime overnight, but with less than 2 hours (by that point) til 'America This Morning', that's going to be essentially impossible, so I have a feeling something's getting dumped to Saturday or Sunday afternoon before all is said and done.

Yuck... Having an actual newscast at 1am is almost silly...

Nononononono...

The news at 10 aired like normal, just ending 5 minutes early to accommodate the 10:30 game rejoin. I was quoting the broadcasters. The game was delayed 2 hours and 17 minutes.

Nononononono...

The news at 10 aired like normal, just ending 5 minutes early to accommodate the 10:30 game rejoin. I was quoting the broadcasters. The game was delayed 2 hours and 17 minutes.

Oh gotcha... Whoops.
  • Like 1

How's this for station synergy? Ryan and Val from WCL filmed clues on-location from around the city this week for the upcoming season of Jeopardy!, so two members of the game show came on an all-Jeopardy! episode of WCL, where the hosts played an ABC 7-themed version of the game, and then Jeopardy! posted the whole episode to YouTube.

Got that?

(The second weather/news update begins at 32:32, for those who've never seen an example of it.)

[yt]OjvBFy0OHVA?t=32m32s[/yt]

How's this for station synergy? Ryan and Val from WCL filmed clues on-location from around the city this week for the upcoming season of Jeopardy!, so two members of the game show came on an all-Jeopardy! episode of WCL, where the hosts played an ABC 7-themed version of the game, and then Jeopardy! posted the whole episode to YouTube.

Got that?

(The second weather/news update begins at 32:32, for those who've never seen an example of it.)

[yt]OjvBFy0OHVA?t=32m32s[/yt]

Wanna say that 5 times fast? :D

That really is pretty cool though.

Another Windy City Live departure... This time Emarald-Jane Hunter a jack of all trades of sorts who did booking, produced segments and did fill-in EP work among other things. She had been with WCL since 2011.

She left to become the Director of Media and Content Development for Chicago boutique PR firm Henson Consulting. The is the third major departure from the show in the past few months.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7593-more-executive-departures-from-abc-7-s-windy-city-live

Another Windy City Live departure... This time Emarald-Jane Hunter a jack of all trades of sorts who did booking, produced segments and did fill-in EP work among other things. She had been with WCL since 2011.

She left to become the Director of Media and Content Development for Chicago boutique PR firm Henson Consulting. The is the third major departure from the show in the past few months.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7593-more-executive-departures-from-abc-7-s-windy-city-live

would it be wrong to say cancel the show and bring back the 11 am news?

would it be wrong to say cancel the show and bring back the 11 am news?

A lot of what 7 has done in newscasts and WCL has the look of flailing about... I'm not sure what's going on over there but they seem to be playing with fire a lot lately...

You never know what's going to happen when Jerry Taft works on a Sunday. I know it's crappy video from my iPad, but it's just too funny. My goodness, I love that man.

Did you see the after the forecast when Ravi mentioned a tweet on-air? That was from me. :D

• Like 1

why can't they elevate troy?

I'm not saying they won't. He's included him in 5 they currently have. Take Jerry away, and they're left with Cheryl, Tracy, Phil, Troy, and a vacancy.

I'm not saying they won't. He's included him in 5 they currently have. Take Jerry away, and they're left with Cheryl, Tracy, Phil, Troy, and a vacancy.

I mean, they don't need a fifth meteorologist. They could just do Tracy in the A.M., Cheryl in the P.M., Troy weekend mornings and Phil weekend evenings. To me a fifth is just redundant.

That said, they'll probably stick with 5, I just don't see the need for 5.

WMAQ has 5. WGN has 5/6/7/8. The market's too competitive. Weather is the hot commodity for the locals in Chicago right now, and the top stations are well-staffed. On the other hand, the bottom feeders aren't (WBBM: 4, WFLD:3). So, even if they don't NEED 5, it's something to pad their status. That said, it should be noted that 7 doesn't include Troy in promos, but they didn't tout the fifth when it was Mark Bishop or Larry Mowry (I'm dating myself on that one), either. Unlike the others before him, Troy does not have a bio on the station's website (none of the part-timers do), but they aren't afraid to use him on evenings and weekdays in various weather-related roles, a perk that Mark (who was a full-time professor) and Larry weren't allowed.