The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

"I think he's enjoying his retirement [...] or he lost his razor."

"Maybe both."

What was the best thing about Ron's cameo? Kathy and Jerry has no clue it was him. Kathy said at 10 that she initially thought it was Steven Spielberg.

Apparently Mark McGinnis is still an option as a 6th meteorologist. Jerry said goodbye to the 10pm crew Thursday night, but said Cheryl wouldn't start til Monday. To accommodate, Cheryl was in for Tracy Friday morning, and Larry took the whole evening shift. Therefore, McGinnis returned to the air this morning for the first time in close to 4 months.

Also something to note: Rob Elgas might not be the clear #2 anchorman like I thought. Ravi did the 5, 7 and the all-important 10 on Wednesday and Thursday, even though Rob was available and reporting from the field. He still did the other 3 late nights, but it's eerily similar to when Dick Johnson would superceed him at NBC.

• 3 weeks later...

Linda Yu tonight at 10! Been too long since we've seen that. She did the 6 too, been too long for that as well. In fact, it's a marathon day for Linda, anchoring ALL evening newscasts - 4,5,6,7 and 10! I miss this sorta thing. And before all the recent changes, it used to be a somewhat regular occurrence, especially on a Friday night. And because I fear it may be because no one else could do it since everyone is off/and or maybe unavailable, I'm just going to enjoy it since who knows if/when this will ever happen again. My favorite was always when Linda would fill in at 10 when Ron was still there and it was Ron, Linda, Jerry and Mark. Those were the days... it's just not Channel 7 anymore. I'm sure I'll get crap for that, but sorry it's how I feel.

• Like 2

They must be short on reporters, because Stacey was out in the field. They'd normally slot her in a few of the broadcasts. Tanja Babich flew with the Blue Angels yesterday, so she likely wasn't free to anchor this morning, otherwise Judy would've come in this evening, like she did a few weeks back on a Friday.

Linda Yu tonight at 10! Been too long since we've seen that. She did the 6 too, been too long for that as well. In fact, it's a marathon day for Linda, anchoring ALL evening newscasts - 4,5,6,7 and 10! I miss this sorta thing. And before all the recent changes, it used to be a somewhat regular occurrence, especially on a Friday night. And because I fear it may be because no one else could do it since everyone is off/and or maybe unavailable, I'm just going to enjoy it since who knows if/when this will ever happen again. My favorite was always when Linda would fill in at 10 when Ron was still there and it was Ron, Linda, Jerry and Mark. Those were the days... it's just not Channel 7 anymore. I'm sure I'll get crap for that, but sorry it's how I feel.

You won't get crap from me!!! I miss Hossa and Judy in the morning, Linda and Sylvia at 11 with Tracy, Alan, Linda, Mike, and JR at 4, Ron, Cheryl, and Jerry at 5, and Ron, Kathy, Jerry, and Mark at 10.

• Like 3

Yeah, seeing that roster intact for another 25 years would've been very entertaining, though they would've had to hire someone to change diapers and mop up drool. :D

That said, I still marvel at the fact that a top market station successfully locked its entire weekday operations in a time capsule for 7 years (06-13) with little more than an HD transition. Good times.

Giangreco hasn't been particularly quotable lately on the radio, but he's annoyed that he has to stay for tonight's post-midnight newscast.

"Mark, you should do the sportscast shirtless."

"I'll tell you what, I'll ask Kathy and Ravi and Cheryl, and if they agree to do it topless, I will, too. Maybe I'll smuggle in some beer."

"Yeah, that's not going to happen."

Giangreco hasn't been particularly quotable lately on the radio, but he's annoyed that he has to stay for tonight's post-midnight newscast.

"Mark, you should do the sportscast shirtless."

"I'll tell you what, I'll ask Kathy and Ravi and Cheryl, and if they agree to do it topless, I will, too. Maybe I'll smuggle in some beer."

"Yeah, that's not going to happen."

At least I'll have the ability to see the thing live and get my own 11pm tonight... That's worth a beer...

• Like 1

Anyone who panics when someone new comes along won't like to hear that Liz Nagy filled in for Burton on the WCIU-cast tonight.

An ex 'SVN-er. Neat. Shows you how much I love WSVN when I recognize a former employee working somewhere else. She did become a fill-in on 'SVN from time-to-time so this is nothing new for her.

• Like 1

An ex 'SVN-er. Neat. Shows you how much I love WSVN when I recognize a former employee working somewhere else. She did become a fill-in on 'SVN from time-to-time so this is nothing new for her.

She's done a few weekend morning fill-ins, but the weekday appearance is surprising. Heck, she's only part-time.

ABC Digital has released version 5.0 of its iPhone app for the O&O's. Noteworthy here is an all new weather section and some video index improvements. The compulsory bug fixes are there as well.

They needed to do something. Among the others in town, NBC 5 and WGN's apps are so much better and polished.

I am so so happy to see Phil filling in at 10 o'clock tonight. Thank You Jesus!!! :)

But I'm wondering why they didn't allow Jerry to fill-in (he was on at 6 & 7). He can't fill-in at 10 anymore? That blows, if that's the case.

I guess I'm not surprised. That said, he'll likely show up in the rare case when they go with one meteorologist for the whole night. That said, it's always nice to see Linda at 10.

I'm stunned, though, that Elgas is already getting the same treatment at ABC that he got at NBC. On Monday and Tuesday nights when Alan is off, Rob will do all 4 broadcasts on the mothership. When Wednesday rolls around, Ravi will do the 5 and the flagship 10, with Rob continuing in his field reporting/Burton-backup contributor role (really, they might as well formally add him to the 10 o'clock line-up). That's exactly what happened to him at WMAQ when Dick Johnson would still get top priority behind Stafford. Perhaps it's a sweet incentive they gave Ravi for getting passed over, but I'm still surprised.

• Like 1

I'm stunned, though, that Elgas is already getting the same treatment at ABC that he got at NBC. On Monday and Tuesday nights when Alan is off, Rob will do all 4 broadcasts on the mothership. When Wednesday rolls around, Ravi will do the 5 and the flagship 10, with Rob continuing in his field reporting/Burton-backup contributor role (really, they might as well formally add him to the 10 o'clock line-up). That's exactly what happened to him at WMAQ when Dick Johnson would still get top priority behind Stafford. Perhaps it's a sweet incentive they gave Ravi for getting passed over, but I'm still surprised.

Elgas should have just stayed at WMAQ. If he really wanted to be a network correspondent some day, there was (is) no better place to be. Had he just put out feelers (or whatever) instead of quitting, NBC News, etc.. probably would have plucked him up at some point.

Instead, it appears he is in the same boat now that he was at WMAQ. And when NBC News came a calling for a national correspondent, Tammy Leitner got the job. Of course, she could have very well been picked regardless of if Elgas was still at WMAQ, but who knows what might have happened...

• 2 weeks later...

I can't make heads or tails of this one. No skyline backdrop this morning, replaced with a still graphic. The lack of bug/graphics on either image is purely coincidental, but perhaps the (not live) skyline malfunctioned. It's a little dark and the shadows cast by the anchors is a little distracting, but it's not necessarily a bad look. Still hope it's only temporary.

239235711_bandicam2016-09-1107-06-03-012.thumb.png.0b91dbe94d53f94ce8196ff770b7426c.png

542197232_bandicam2016-09-1107-09-14-727.thumb.png.487cf8001b1fb7f3a3f3261dda277dba.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am so so happy to see Phil filling in at 10 o'clock tonight. Thank You Jesus!!! :)

But I'm wondering why they didn't allow Jerry to fill-in (he was on at 6 & 7). He can't fill-in at 10 anymore? That blows, if that's the case.

Little follow-up.

Jerry filled-in on the marquee 10pm last night (10/13). This has to be a first since leaving this post more than two months ago.