The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I would think Ravi's gotta be piiiiiiiiiiiiiissed. And he has every right to be. Nothing against Elgas, he's deserving of the spot too, but, um, didn't he already have the same gig at Channel 5? Especially now that they're expanding to 4pm? Plus, Channel 5 has all the momentum right now so is it really any better?

I realize Rob left 5 to explore his options, but when the networks didn't come calling, all he did was make a lateral move and get in the way of Baichwal & Bradley moving up at Channel 7. So good for Rob, but it's a shame for Ravi. I bet he ends up leaving since any hope of a weekday spot is now gone. Which is too bad because I love Ravi & Karen. Wouldn't it be ironic if he ends up being Rob's replacement at Channel 5? Channel 2 would be lucky to have him too. Channel 2 should just go ahead and make a play for both Ravi & Karen since rumor has it she'll be passed over too in favor of Judy Hsu when/if the time comes for Linda Yu to retire.

• Like 1

I would think Ravi's gotta be piiiiiiiiiiiiiissed. And he has every right to be. Nothing against Elgas, he's deserving of the spot too, but, um, didn't he already have the same gig at Channel 5? Especially now that they're expanding to 4pm? Plus, Channel 5 has all the momentum right now so is it really any better?

I realize Rob left 5 to explore his options, but when the networks didn't come calling, all he did was make a lateral move and get in the way of Baichwal & Bradley moving up at Channel 7. So good for Rob, but it's a shame for Ravi. I bet he ends up leaving since any hope of a weekday spot is now gone. Which is too bad because I love Ravi & Karen. Wouldn't it be ironic if he ends up being Rob's replacement at Channel 5? Channel 2 would be lucky to have him too. Channel 2 should just go ahead and make a play for both Ravi & Karen since rumor has it she'll be passed over too in favor of Jusy Hsu when/if the time comes for Linda Yu to retire.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a moment. As much as WMAQ's surged at 10, things are pretty much the same in all other time slots. Also, I'd say this is still technically a step up for Rob. If Stafford had left, Elgas might have been skipped in favor Stefan. As things stood, Dick Johnson got more airtime at 5, 6 and 10 than Rob, so even if he's not the lead anchor, he's a more solid, official #2 than he was at NBC. As for Ravi, that could go any way.

And the notion that Karen could be "passed over" for Judy is kind of silly since Hsu's been at the station two more years than Jordan.

Oh, and another report I saw says Rob will report at 10, though there's no indication that Cheryl's role will change, as she only rarely does field work on the late show.

And the notion that Karen could be "passed over" for Judy is kind of silly since Hsu's been at the station two more years than Jordan.

Touché! I hadn't considered that. I guess my partiality for Ms. Jordan got the best of me. But I hardly think she wants to spend another 13 years on weekends. Then again, I suppose her hopes for an eventual promotion are a LITTLE brighter than Ravi's --- if anything changes with Kathy Brock and/or Cheryl Burton. But I highly doubt that would be any time soon.

• Like 1

Looks like the augmented reality weathercasts are close to debuting. Right now they're testing it on social media before hitting the mothership. Larry made sure to point out in some comments that they're still tweaking the look, and they won't use the technology all the time.

Looks like the augmented reality weathercasts are close to debuting. Right now they're testing it on social media before hitting the mothership. Larry made sure to point out in some comments that they're still tweaking the look, and they won't use the technology all the time.

What a gimmick...

Not the first, not the last. It's perfectly harmless. I was pleasantly surprised at how subdued the roll-out of the new radar was, so I'm inclined to believe they're not going to go overboard with this, like Mowry hinted.

Not the first, not the last. It's perfectly harmless. I was pleasantly surprised at how subdued the roll-out of the new radar was, so I'm inclined to believe they're not going to go overboard with this, like Mowry hinted.

I think it looks kind of silly though.. I'm not really sure the point...

• Like 1

Like the advent of color TV, they do it because they can....whether or not they should, of course.

I wouldn't call it augmented reality. It seems like they just keyed the graphics overtop the static camera position.

Also, it's a sad gimmick.

Like the advent of color TV, they do it because they can....whether or not they should, of course.

Color TV at least made things look more like reality... This is just overlaying a map on top of rather than behind the meteorologist standing in the studio... One is practical and revolutionary, the other is not...

I agree. The same can be said of Doppler 7 MAX (or whatever it's called). There's really no benefit if the information provided is something viewers can get elsewhere. This is when both presentation and experience can make a difference and set you apart from the pack. In the end, these gimmicks (regardless of the station) are worthless.

• Like 1

A couple parts of it look cool, namely the cold front with the transparent effect, but the rest of it looks clunky and silly. It looks like Larry is being overtaken by the graphics surrounding him.

They 'may' have something if they were to greatly reduced the size of the graphic/effect and presented it vertically instead of at a weird angle.

Also, if they could be either in the alcove or traffic standup area when using this that may help too. Honestly, they may be better off using this augmented reality thingy for something other than weather.

They 'may' have something if they were to greatly reduced the size of the graphic/effect and presented it vertically instead of at a weird angle.

Also, if they could be either in the alcove or traffic standup area when using this that may help too. Honestly, they may be better off using this augmented reality thingy for something other than weather.

Display a bar graph with somebody appearing to stand next to it?

I forgot, they did use the doohickey on the weather special in April. It was a visual diagram of a storm, and more polished than the forecast stuff. Again, trial and error, I guess. Wouldn't be surprised to see it on election night, too.

Display a bar graph with somebody appearing to stand next to it?

No. The effects/images just need to be displayed vertically is all and reduced in size [5-10%] for a better overall visual. Now, it would be a different story if the background was completely white or something and not within the interview area.

No one needs to stand next to it (the effect). They could do a simple intro, walk out of frame, display the weather graphics/effects, etc... so that that's the focus and not someone waving their hands around, standing still or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember the conversation in the WMAQ thread proposing the outside chance of Ron popping up there? His subtle dig at NBC 5 last night probably puts that to rest (around the 7:20 mark)...

(Still uploading)

Here's the playlist of promos and such. I'll be adding to it later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=AX5c3-FeRlE;list=PLRUzFrK0TcW2TgvO579jf7vNf4_-4zza8

Here's the final broadcast highlights...

After seeing the week of tributes, Paul Meincke's work needs be put in for Emmy consideration. The amount of research, the number of interviews, the accuracy of the material, plus his witty and thoughtful writing made for a very impressive series of segments.

• Like 2

your nbc video is listed as private is it even yours or am i too early?

Early. Give it like 90 minutes. Also, it's the Eyewitness News at 5, with a mention of NBC.

• Like 1

Per Feder, Ron's final newscast scored an impressive 10.0 rating, which amounts to about 350k households.

As for the entire month, the 10pm shaped up like this:

Total/Demo

WLS 7.8/2.7

WMAQ 7.0/3.6

WGN 2.8/1.2

WBBM 2.7/1.0

And FWIW, at 9pm WGN had 4.2 and WFLD had 2.0 total.

Per Feder, Ron's final newscast scored an impressive 10.0 rating, which amounts to about 350k households.

As for the entire month, the 10pm shaped up like this:

Total/Demo

WLS 7.8/2.7

WMAQ 7.0/3.6

WGN 2.8/1.2

WBBM 2.7/1.0

And FWIW, at 9pm WGN had 4.2 and WFLD had 2.0 total.

7 got crushed in the 25-54...

The 25-54 number isn't far off of February. NBC is up 0.2, ABC and WBBM are down 0.2, and WGN stays the same. Both 7 and 5 are up a few ticks in total viewers, while 2 and 9 merely traded a tenth of a point, with very little fluctuation since WGN joined the fray last fall.

A quick footnote to the anchor transition; I find it interesting that, at a quick glance, the anchor bios page hasn't been changed, which really isn't all that surprising. Ron's still the first on the list, Alan a row down, and Rob with the reporters. The interesting part is that all 3, however, have updated bios reflecting their new roles of retired, lead, and 4 o'clock anchor. Makes you wonder why they're keeping Ron's bio up, if he's supposedly completely done with on-air media.