The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Official: Larry Mowry starts on Monday, April 11th. He will simply fill Troy's vacancy (Sat. AM and Sun 5AM), as there's no mention of Phil dropping the post-6AM Sunday slot he's filled for 21 years. It's not directly mentioned, but the fact that he'll fill in on other broadcasts makes it seems like Larry will be full-time, unlike his Saturday morning predecessors...including himself.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/03/23/its-official-larry-mowry-joins-abc-7-weather-team/

Edit: Based on the station's official release, he will do both weekend mornings. Phil's finally going to get some sleep.

http://abc7chicago.com/careers/meteorologist-larry-mowry-returns-to-abc-7/1259324/

One would imagine the chief meteorologist on a station in the 5th largest market could do better than weekend mornings in Chicago...

One would imagine the chief meteorologist on a station in the 5th largest market could do better than weekend mornings in Chicago...

I imagine he moves up within a year. Once Jerry retires, I am confident that someone will shift to weeknights, likely at 4 or 5 and 6. Could they have Cheryl do all the nightly shows? Yes, but then why would they use Phil so often when Taft or Scott are off? So while he may not leave weekends, Larry could very well shift to evenings, or maybe even higher up the ladder.

Either way, this is a really good hire, and even though I've warmed up and accepted her, Mowry's a better get than the last new employee in that department.

• Like 1

It seems like they hired him to eventually take over Jerry's spot (whether it be 4/6 or 5/10). By the time he moves up, the viewers will be more familiarized with him. KABC does this quite a bit... Hire young[er] talent, let the viewers get acclimated to them, then they move them up the ladder. Sort of like a baseball team, develop your prospects and when it's time to replace a veteran, you can just pluck them out of bench or the minor leagues.

It seems like they hired him to eventually take over Jerry's spot (whether it be 4/6 or 5/10). By the time he moves up, the viewers will be more familiarized with him. KABC does this quite a bit... Hire young[er] talent, let the viewers get acclimated to them, then they move them up the ladder. Sort of like a baseball team, develop your prospects and when it's time to replace a veteran, you can just pluck them out of bench or the minor leagues.

Cheryl Scott's will assume the 10 within months, and the chief title when he retires. Mowry will not be the #1, barring unforeseen circumstances.

People feel there are other options...

Absolutely, as they should, and as I do. There are 2 (about to be 3) others on the team more qualified, but she was hired with this intention. With how rumors go around (and I'm not talking about on here), if management wasn't as high on her, we probably would've heard some rumblings.

People feel there are other options...

They are stuck at the moment. For some unknown reason, they thought viewers would be more welcoming to Scott, but that plan has backfired greatly and will only get worse once Jerry leaves. Moving Larry or anyone else in front of her would mean they are admitting a mistake, which they won't do EVER.

Trust me, if she were to get/accept an offer somewhere else, they would happily let her go like WMAQ did.

• Like 1

They are stuck at the moment. For some unknown reason, they thought viewers would be more welcoming to Scott, but that plan has backfired greatly and will only get worse once Jerry leaves. Moving Larry or anyone else in front of her would mean they are admitting a mistake, which they won't do EVER.

Trust me, if she were to get/accept an offer somewhere else, they would happily let her go like WMAQ did.

Part of 7's problem is that they are too high on themselves...

One of Ron Magers' horses might be headed for the Kentucky Derby in May. Also, according to Feder, Krashesky is likely to succeed Ron after May sweeps, but nothing is confirmed.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/03/28/robservations-chicago-pubcasters-launch-news-partnership/

There's also rumors out there that Ron won't retire (he's in the final year/months of his contract) and is currently in the mist of contract negotiations. That said, we will have a very interesting summer ahead of us it seems.

• Like 1

I could totally seeing him drop one broadcast (I'd bet the 5), and hang around another year or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the bosses would appreciate some veteran stability on the late show in the months after the Taft/Scott transition, and are willing to sweeten the deal to keep him a little longer.

Good for her. I understand the strategy of having a big draw like her as anchor at launch, but it did seem quite odd that she'd not only be expanding her airtime, but pushing her work day to after dark at this point in her career. Plus, this would likely return her to daytime duty just in time for Krashesky to ascend to the late shift (if that rumor is true). This should also eliminate any possibility of Cheryl joining Kathy at the big kids' table at 10. In addition, I'm guessing Linda will back up Kathy at 6 with more regularity.

Random question:

Is the Noon webcast around still? I haven't seen it pushed to my phone in a while...

After they moved it to 11 last year, it seems to have faded away. It still might be streamed, but they don't post the webcast for viewing after. That said, they still post some reports and the midday forecast with the non-time/temp bug.

Long story short...I'm not sure if it's still around.

After they moved it to 11 last year, it seems to have faded away. It still might be streamed, but they don't post the webcast for viewing after. That said, they still post some reports and the midday forecast with the non-time/temp bug.

Long story short...I'm not sure if it's still around.

There's a certain bizarre nature of a station in the #3 market without a midday newscast of some sort...

There's a certain bizarre nature of a station in the #3 market without a midday newscast of some sort...

They're still doing the news/weather update at 11:28 and full forecast at 11:58 during WCL, but yeah. Color me crazy, though, but I'm not ruling anything out for the fall, as there are a few of variables on the new schedule.

They're still doing the news/weather update at 11:28 and full forecast at 11:58 during WCL, but yeah. Color me crazy, though, but I'm not ruling anything out for the fall, as there are a few of variables on the new schedule.

One hopes they bring the 11am back and do something with WCL like scrap it...

One hopes they bring the 11am back and do something with WCL like scrap it...

Also interested to see if Rachael Ray comes back to the daytime schedule or if Right This Minute or Millionaire make their way to WLS's airwaves.

I don't see WCL going anywhere. It still does respectable ratings against the 3 newscasts, a consistent 2nd place in some demos. Really, there are 5 options for the 1pm hour...

1. Rachael Ray moves back to the slot, and RTM goes to overnights.
  2. RTM airs a double run.
  3. RTM and Millionaire are paired together.
  4. Unlikely, WCL moves to 1, though I don't know where the other shows fall.
  5. The completely nuts idea, Eyewitness News and RTM in the 1 o'clock hour. (Perhaps fronted by Linda Yu and a semi-retiring Jerry Taft?)

After that last one, I realize I need to stop drinking this early.

I don't see WCL going anywhere. It still does respectable ratings against the 3 newscasts, a consistent 2nd place in some demos. Really, there are 5 options for the 1pm hour...

1. Rachael Ray moves back to the slot, and RTM goes to overnights.
  2. RTM airs a double run.
  3. RTM and Millionaire are paired together.
  4. Unlikely, WCL moves to 1, though I don't know where the other shows fall.
  5. The completely nuts idea, Eyewitness News and RTM in the 1 o'clock hour. (Perhaps fronted by Linda Yu and a semi-retiring Jerry Taft?)

After that last one, I realize I need to stop drinking this early.

Have another drink J, then go home :D