The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

What point was that?

That an effort to maintain locally-produced programming be damned so we can have yet another hour of news in an already-crowded time slot...a shift that would possibly be an "exclusive" on a certain website.

• Like 1

Even though Larry Mowry joins tomorrow, Phil Schwarz confirmed to me on Twitter (EXCLUSIVE! ;)) that he'll still be on the Sunday morning show next week, and that it will be his last.

• Like 1

Even though Larry Mowry joins tomorrow, Phil Schwarz confirmed to me on Twitter (EXCLUSIVE! ;)) that he'll still be on the Sunday morning show next week, and that it will be his last.

He'll move to where?

Legit question to my fellow Chicagoans. Outside of doing every show on a holiday, can anyone ever recall Linda filling in on the 5 o'clock news? If not, today might be a first.

Legit question to my fellow Chicagoans. Outside of doing every show on a holiday, can anyone ever recall Linda filling in on the 5 o'clock news? If not, today might be a first.

I don't recall, but in all likelihood, she probably has filled in at least once (or more) before given she's been there since the 80s. Even though she plans on cutting back, she may fill in at 5P more often. An extra 30 mins. now and then wouldn't be asking too much.

• Like 1

I don't recall, but in all likelihood, she probably has filled in at least once (or more) before given she's been there since the 80s. Even though she plans on cutting back, she may fill in at 5P more often. An extra 30 mins. now and then wouldn't be asking too much.

Cheryl's on at 7, so it must've been a one-off in a pinch, like Ron being on at 4 (but rarer). I'd imagine, though, that Linda is now #2 behind Kathy at 6.

I'd imagine, though, that Linda is now #2 behind Kathy at 6.

I hope so. I miss Linda filling-in at 6. I also miss her occasional fill-ins at 10 so I hope that resumes as well. To me, it doesn't get any better than seeing Ron, Linda, Jerry, and Mark together. So good, so Chicago.

• Like 6

OFFICIAL: Ron Magers hangs it up on May 25th. Announced by the anchor himself on Facebook Live. As reported by Feder, Alan Krashesky will succeed Ron at 5 and 10, with a replacement at 4pm to be named later. This will be a return to the 5 that Alan anchored from 1994-98, then with Diann Burns.

OFFICIAL: Ron Magers hangs it up on May 25th. Announced by the anchor himself on Facebook Live. As reported by Feder, Alan Krashesky will succeed Ron at 5 and 10, with a replacement at 4pm to be named later. This will be a return to the 5 that Alan anchored from 1994-98, then with Diann Burns.

At 4pm, perhaps Rob Elgas? Also, will Alan continue at 6? Seems like they should have went with Alan & Kathy at 6 & 10, Hosea & Cheryl at 5 & 7, and Rob & Linda at 4.

• Like 1

At 4pm, perhaps Rob Elgas? Also, will Alan continue at 6? Seems like they should have went with Alan & Kathy at 6 & 10, Hosea & Cheryl at 5 & 7, and Rob & Linda at 4.

I think it's Rob's to lose (if not, Ravi), though I am surprised he didn't get the 5, instead. He has pretty solid chemistry with Cheryl, and I think there's a big risk of totally turning over the 4 within like a year (Alan now, Linda later), especially with new competition. Alan would've maintained stability in that slot, but I do understand keeping his daily airtime to only 90 minutes.

Fun fact: In his career with ABC 7, Alan has helmed 6 different "broadcasts". He was entrusted to launch two of them, the morning news and the midday webcast. And now, he has the right to say that he has succeeded John Drury, Floyd Klaber, Joel Daly, and Ron Magers, considered 4 of the very best to ever grace Chicago television screens. No pressure. Well deserved.

• Like 2

I think it's Rob's to lose (if not, Ravi), though I am surprised he didn't get the 5, instead. He has pretty solid chemistry with Cheryl, and I think there's a big risk of totally turning over the 4 within like a year (Alan now, Linda later), especially with new competition. Alan would've maintained stability in that slot, but I do understand keeping his daily airtime to only 90 minutes.

I think the 4P has to go to Ravi. He put in his time and deserves the promotion. Once Linda retires, her spot should go to Karen. Like I have mentioned before, at some point, these two have to move up or WLS could lose them both.

I think the 4P has to go to Ravi. He put in his time and deserves the promotion. Once Linda retires, her spot should go to Karen. Like I have mentioned before, at some point, these two have to move up or WLS could lose them both.

In theory. Personally, Ravi would be my pick, and I'd install Rob on weekends, as I've enjoy him alongside Karen. Ultimately, we have to think about what his motivation was to leave NBC. While he was underutilized there, he was still the #2 male anchor at the #2 station. Is being just a reporter and fill-in anchor at the #1 station enough to balance things out, or was there a promise of a more cemented #2 status at ABC? Frankly, I wasn't a big fan of Rob's at NBC, but his field reporting is pretty good and it seems to have helped his delivery at the desk. I also think Judy will move to the 4 once Linda retires, leaving the seat open for Tanja in the morning. What becomes of Ravi, Karen, and Stacey if these moves are made is anybody's guess.

CRAZY THOUGHT! (I have too many of these.) What if Rob gets the 4, and replaces Cheryl Burton as contributor at 10? She's now anchoring 2 broadcasts (and a part of 3) so dropping one wouldn't be a huge demotion. Plus, it would be odd to have 3 anchors exclusive to a single broadcast while 2 are billed on three shows. With Cheryl Scott soon adding the 10, someone like Rob could fill the role, bringing youth and diversity, while not disrupting the male/female balance.

Sandra Bookman has been weekend evening co-anchor at WABC for as long as I can remember. Since she's been there Lori, Sade, Liz, and Shirleen have all joined the station and Sandra's still on weekends. Rob Jennings was weekend evening anchor at WPVI from the late 70s until his retirement a few years ago. Granted, the weekday 6/11 never opened up during his tenure (and still hasn't) and the 5 only became available once during the 2000s. So it's possible Ravi stays on weekends.

It'll be interesting to see who they go with for the 4pm. They have Ravi, Rob and Hosea all as prime targets for the 4pm.

Also, will Alan continue at 6?

Yes, it'll be Alan & Kathy at 6 & 10 and Cheryl and Alan at 5pm.

http://abc7chicago.com/careers/abc7s-ron-magers-to-retire;-alan-krashesky-to-anchor-10-pm-newscast/1291527/

• Like 1

In theory. Personally, Ravi would be my pick, and I'd install Rob on weekends, as I've enjoy him alongside Karen. Ultimately, we have to think about what his motivation was to leave NBC. While he was underutilized there, he was still the #2 male anchor at the #2 station. Is being just a reporter and fill-in anchor at the #1 station enough to balance things out, or was there a promise of a more cemented #2 status at ABC? Frankly, I wasn't a big fan of Rob's at NBC, but his field reporting is pretty good and it seems to have helped his delivery at the desk. I also think Judy will move to the 4 once Linda retires, leaving the seat open for Tanja in the morning. What becomes of Ravi, Karen, and Stacey if these moves are made is anybody's guess.

Elgas wanted to be a network correspondent (I believe), but when that fell through, he signed with WLS. I'm not sure he's willing to wait some 15 years to succeed Alan (I could be wrong). I get the feeling that Alan may want to shoot for 50 years at WLS. Who wouldn't want to reach such a milestone?

Had Elgas stayed at WMAQ, he probably would have succeeded Rob within 6-8 years. Stafford doesn't seem like he wants the job forever. I could be wrong here too.

I forgot that Ravi is like 51 or something, so his window to be #1 somewhere may be closing, but again, he deserves be #2. Nothing against Elgas, but give the job to Ravi WLS.

Elgas wanted to be a network correspondent (I believe), but when that fell through, he signed with WLS.

I hadn't heard that. It's a shame it didn't work out. He'd a be good fit at any of the major networks, and a heck of a lot better than some of the even younger pretty people currently moving up the broadcast ranks.

• Like 1