Allbritton could be selling too.......

tyrannical bastard

I want to see a way - any way - Sincla!r can buy all of Allbrittron. WJLA is valued nearly at $1B on its' own... close to what KRON was when the deYoungs put it on the block in 1999. The whole group is far too big a fish for them, and almost completely defies their M.O. of buying mostly small to mid-market stations.

We also are forgetting that ABC still has to give the final blessing on whomever purchases WJLA. Sincla!r could win the bidding, but ABC could turn around and nix the sale of WJLA, effectively killing the whole transaction. And that would be telling if ABC really doesn't mind being on stations like KDNL and WXLV, or not.

WJLA is worth nowhere near $1b. ABC is not going to object to a sale to Sinclair.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. Unprofessional conduct continues at WHTM, especially by this meteorologist. His 'comedy hour' occurs almost daily during the AM newscast.

Check this out:

http://www.abc27.com/global/category.asp?c=189669&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9124880

It won't be that long before one of those WHTM meteorologists ends up on the chopping block when Albritton officially sells this station to one of those companies.

Ugh. Unprofessional conduct continues at WHTM, especially by this meteorologist. His 'comedy hour' occurs almost daily during the AM newscast.

Check this out:

http://www.abc27.com/global/category.asp?c=189669&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9124880

It won't be that long before one of those WHTM meteorologists ends up on the chopping block when Albritton officially sells this station to one of those companies.

Exactly @IsitCC ... Exactly.

Clean house can't come soon enough.

-- Matt

Oh, so that's what you two meant by saying WHTM is unprofessional? There's nothing wrong with Brett's behavior IMO. It's a morning newscast, he's trying to loosen up. I actually found that funny. Those three seem to have a good time and are trying to deliver the news while having a good time and showing off their personality which is what viewers expect from them. Even if they get new owners, what's to say they won't retain current management. Some companies do bring in their own people, but others do retain the existing GM/ND.

If you guys expect a serious news broadcast: 1) Don't expect one in the morning, and 2) watch another station. Based on Brett alone, if I lived in Harrisburg, I wouldn't mind watching ABC27 News.

Check this out:

Exactly @IsitCC ... Exactly.

Clean house can't come soon enough.

-- Matt

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Mark Mathis is the MAN!!! He makes the weather enjoyable to watch. Brett is a much watered down version of Mark. And Mark has calmed down considerably at KTSM compared to his days at WCCB but still manages to have some fun. Before he started at WCCB, he was KSAT's morning meteorologist and was boring in comparison to his days at WCCB. He made a complete 180 at WCCB compared to his days at KSAT but I think he's awesome.

Gotta love Mark Mathis. Wonder if Nexstar will get rid of him when they take over KTSM...

Why would Nexstar get rid of him? There's no reason to...

I guess Hearst wouldn't shock me. If they bought the whole group they could maybe offer WHTM to Nexstar. Plus, Hearst used to have a stake in NECN before they sold it to Comcast. Guess the prospects of NC8 eventually going to Comcast look a lot better.

Hearst would buy everything it appears? (except perhaps WHTM)

Then the speculation would begin on what happens to that station. Who out there is buying single stations? Or does they create a new shell just for that one station? That could be the 2 buyer part - Hearst all but WHTM, someone else that one.

Are there any Hearst newspaper conflicts in any of the Allbritton markets?

Hearst would buy everything it appears? (except perhaps WHTM)

Then the speculation would begin on what happens to that station. Who out there is buying single stations? Or does they create a new shell just for that one station? That could be the 2 buyer part - Hearst all but WHTM, someone else that one.

Are there any Hearst newspaper conflicts in any of the Allbritton markets?

No newspaper conflicts. I don't know why Hearst would want WHTM though. They own ultra dominant WGAL.No reason for them to want WHTM as well. WHTM would fit Nexstar perfectly but no way in hell would I want WHTM to end up with the station across the street...

No newspaper conflicts. I don't know why Hearst would want WHTM though. They own ultra dominant WGAL.No reason for them to want WHTM as well. WHTM would fit Nexstar perfectly but no way in hell would I want WHTM to end up with the station across the street...

They can just build a skywalk to get from one station to the other.

What would have happened if Mark Mathis ends up in one of the top 10 markets, especially going back to WFAA (If they hire him back).

If I recall, didn't Mark Mathis have some serious drug problems that led him to leaving WCCB? Correct me if that isn't correct.

Update:

He apparently has a job at KTSM in El Paso. Good for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Mathis_%28meteorologist%29

They could always sell it after the initial purchase.

Buying WJLA would be a good compliment to nearby WBAL as they could probably share resources with Maryland-specific stories.

Well, whoever the new owners turn out to be, let's hope they upgrade WJLA's look, it's badly needed. 2006-era graphics, very dark orange and blue, with a very-tired sounding cut of Gari's EWN package. Also, a new set, as it's got way too many standalone circle-7's which they don't use outside of the set, and WJLA actually sponsors it's weather center, no joke (it's the "ABC 7 Belmont Furniture Weather Center"), and is rather old looking.

Well, whoever the new owners turn out to be, let's hope they upgrade WJLA's look, it's badly needed. 2006-era graphics, very dark orange and blue, with a very-tired sounding cut of Gari's EWN package. Also, a new set, as it's got way too many standalone circle-7's which they don't use outside of the set, and WJLA actually sponsors it's weather center, no joke (it's the "ABC 7 Belmont Furniture Weather Center"), and is rather old looking.

g9pe.png

Meh, it's not even a weather center, more like a fancy stand up area with four monitors showing radar images. Also, gotta love the fact that they cover up the brand of the TV.

As far as the set itself is concerned:

g2ek.png

they are using the same exact set since moving into their current facility back in 2001. So, yes, it's a 12 year old set and it looks exactly the same as day one except for the monitor on the desk, that was added around the time they went HD (2008). Extra points to them for doing HD broadcasts on a set that clearly wasn't designed for it. It looked great in 2001 but it's dated now. DC stations tend to use their sets for a long while. WUSA has had their set since 2005 and WTTG since 2006. WRC had their previous set for a LONG time (maybe about 15 years) before getting their current Clickspring set in 2010.

I'd hope they get a new set sometime next year. It'd be nice. I wouldn't hold my breath on new graphics and music; it all depends on who gets it. If Hearst gets it I definitely wouldn't mind the Hearst diagrid GFX and Strive theme. Or ABC could get it and WJLA gets to keep their own unique look...

Also according to the DCRTV site, those at WCIV (Charleston) are being told that Sinclair is showing serious interest as well.

They already own a duopoly in that market...I'm sure Raycom (WCSC) and, to a lesser extent, Media General (WCBD) would be really happy at losing one of their competitors. They would need a second shell to acquire WCIV.

It appears the battle lines are drawn. Disney appears to be taking a pass, since we have heard no indication that they are actually making a serious offer.

If that is the case, it is Hearst vs. Sinclair right now, with what appears to be Tribune in third place - they were interested but haven't gone all out yet. Maybe they were waiting to see who drew the initial lines and playing out from there? LIN Media also appeared to show some interest but they have been really holding back, as has Meredith. I remember reading Nexstar was interested but I doubt they are even in the picture anymore.

WJLA's set is definitely dated but has really held up well for its age. It'll be interesting to see what happens to it when it gets replaced under the new ownership... usually WJLA's old sets make their way to WSET; that's been the case for the last two.

Perhaps having both stations to prepare an overlay of Susquehanna Valley? WGAL could keep their reporters in Lancaster/York/Gettysburg while WHTM keep their reporters in Harrisburg/Lebanon/Hershey as part of their cost-saving strategies for traveling? WGAL viewers could watch the news reports provided by WHTM reporters based in Harrisburg while vice versa for WHTM viewers? Susquehanna Valley is very huge and requiring lots of traveling for them to reach their destination. Who knows? ::gagging:: for NexStar to buy out WHTM!

Archived