Allbritton could be selling too.......

tyrannical bastard

The Bidders List come out today (Monday) right?

My Official Bet is ABC or Scripps will take WJLA. I do know for a fact that ABC was interested in the McGraw-Hill 4 but didn't want the whole group (don't know which stations they did and did not want). So ABC will buy if the deal is right.

Scripps would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a station in Washington, which is home to their "Scripps National Investigation Bureau"... Having NC8 in addition to WJLA would only be icing on the cake.

Tribune and even Comcast taking NC8 by itself doesn't seem far fetched to me for reasons already stated on this thread.

As for the rest of the stations, Who Knows....

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If NC8 were to go seperately from WJLA, the new owner would have to make considerable investments, mainly in the talent department, since WJLA and NC8 share quite a bit. I could see NC8 folding to be quite honest. I can't see it sustaining under any other owner. Tribune would make sense if they had a news producing station in the region which they don't. Let Hubbard stick to the radio stations. I doubt their interested. The only match that remotely makes sense is WRC/NC8. In that case, I see only the channel space going, and not the brand or anything else, since WJLA/NC8 are tightly integrated (WRC puts out a far better product anyways. I don't know why they would want to be associated with a "lesser" news station, even through 8...).

My dark-house candidate for WJLA if ABC didn't get it for whatever reason would be Post-Newsweek since, well, we know what they own there. I'm sure they would LOVE to have a station on their home turf again. I don't really see Hubbard being interested in TV anymore outside of the stations they already own. Sinclair for 7 would also shock the hell out of me and I hope and pray they don't get WJLA...

There will be one group that won't be bidding for channel 7 however: Young ;) Just sayin'.

Also as a side note, expect WJLA to get a 4:00 newscast (pushing "Katie" up an hour) if ABC and the House of Mouse get their hands on ABC7 (they air "Anderson Live" at 3PM currently but that show is getting cancelled anyway so a 4PM newscast would work perfectly). I could also see the noon news going one hour and some cosmetic changes (new set, graphics, website, Charlie Van Dyke as V/O) but WJLA would largely remain the same and they would be the best choice for WJLA obviously. Also, I could see some staff cuts at 7. WJLA has a LARGE reporting team, way too many meteorologists/sports anchors. Too many main anchors. Disney is trying to run lean operations at their stations. Even after staff cuts in 2009, they still have a rather large reporting team. Time to see people go.

But Disney will bring back "Newschopper 7" I predict. Why would they want to use WRC's helicopter? From what I've read, it's just sitting in the hangar going unused.

I doubt it - - - WJLA picked up Queen Latifiah, so at least for the next year there wont be a 4pm Newscast - - despite my desire to have one on WJLA.

So you think if ABC acquires WJLA, ABC is going to keep Wheel & Jeopardy on its respective times? I say this because CBS is planning on switching omg! Insider & ET on KCBS one week from this Monday. And they will follow the same pattern WCBS have done, basically since the Insider program started. Are people are going to be outraged that ET is going to be move from 7pm to 7:30pm and flood KCBS's Facebook wall?

I'm not saying its going to happen or not, and I understand it's going to piss off folks that have been use to seeing Wheel after World News Tonight for a good minute. But I have a strong feeling that if ABC does get WJLA, they're going to go with consistency. Basically, I'm saying that they'll do it just for the hell of it, even if it doesn't benefit anything by switching shows.

Honestly, I do not see them rocking the boat too much with Wheel/Jeopardy. It has been like that for at least the last 26 years here, and for this market, despite being large, the fact is if it isn't broke, why fix it? I'm sure that would stay the same. Also, it is interesting how similar WJLA's weekday schedule is darn near duplicate of WABC (Sans 4 pm newscast on WABC, and Anderson Cooper on WJLA)

The groups who want to bid have until today to do so. We probably won't hear anything until Allbritton announces which group get which station.

I would think it will be a few weeks, maybe even after Labor Day. Even though all the bids have to be in today, they could still have negotiations with several bidding parties before settling on a buyer and a price. Then they need to get the lawyers from both sides to draw up the asset purchase agreements. Until those are signed, there won't be any announcement. Given that most of DC is on vacation in August, it may take a little longer to get this done.

I would think it will be a few weeks, maybe even after Labor Day. Even though all the bids have to be in today, they could still have negotiations with several bidding parties before settling on a buyer and a price. Then they need to get the lawyers from both sides to draw up the asset purchase agreements. Until those are signed, there won't be any announcement. Given that most of DC is on vacation in August, it may take a little longer to get this done.

It took only one week for Tribune to announce they were buying Local TV after the deadline, but there were likely fewer bidders (or perhaps they had been granted it in a formality as the only reasonable bidder) given the higher cost.

The cost for Allbritton is likely about half to one-third that of Local TV (even with WJLA). Most likely if Disney makes an offer for WJLA it is theirs (and that might be announced first), so there would be even more companies open for the remainder (likely cost about $500M or so). This is likely a two-step affair: first, does the mouse play for WJLA? If yes, it is likely theirs. They will have the first move it appears, and that will dictate how the whole thing goes. That would also open up the remaining stations to more potential bidders (such as Journal, Meredith, Nexstar and Raycom, and possibly Gannett). If they pass, then some companies are likely eliminated since they probably cannot afford WJLA - limiting the potential options most likely to Scripps, Hearst, Sinclair and Tribune most likely (since they have the most money available it appears; Gannett as well but that would conflict with WUSA).

Honestly, I do not see them rocking the boat too much with Wheel/Jeopardy. It has been like that for at least the last 26 years here, and for this market, despite being large, the fact is if it isn't broke, why fix it? I'm sure that would stay the same. Also, it is interesting how similar WJLA's weekday schedule is darn near duplicate of WABC (Sans 4 pm newscast on WABC, and Anderson Cooper on WJLA)

What I was saying was, you see that the seven ABC O&Os that airs those shows. All of them airs Wheel before primetime. Should the network acquires WJLA, why not fix this inconsistency? Now I've been preaching about longevity and tradition. And if that station had it at the same timeframe for a good chunk of their respective show's runs, then its very hard to debate on changing something that has worked well in their favor. But then I looked at WLS when they moved Jeopardy from 3:30pm to 2:30pm, after being at that timeslot for 28 years to accommodate Katie's new talk show.

All I'm saying is and what I stated earlier above, that if ABC gets it, all they need to do is to switch. Hell, I would suggest that all the stations that air both Wheel & Jeopardy, especially in the Eastern Time Zone to air Wheel at 7:30pm. It's bad that the Central & Mountain stations have to air Jeopardy earlier in the day, before the news, and have Wheel locked at 6:30pm, after the news. I know it wouldn't be fair to the viewers, and it would piss off the folks who are use to seeing Wheel at 7pm. But at least if all the stations air Jeopardy at 7pm, and watches Wheel on the next half hour, that would eliminate the Wheel spoiler alert. You can't eliminate the spoiler alert with Jeopardy if you live in the middle of the country. I mean who watches Jeopardy after TPIR in Dallas on KTVT? Ain't it too damn early? Yes they repeat it at 6pm on KTXA.

But back to ABC. The thing that I see with the station's lineup is the consistency. They have most of their daytime talk shows are in consistent time slot, why not fix the consistency during primetime access on WJLA? And it won't feel right for one station to air the shows differently from the other O&Os. That's the inconsistent pill that's very difficult to swallow. It would be more wise for ABC to switch those shows by placing Wheel as a lead-in to their mediocre primetime schedule, to follow all the stations in pattern, than having an odd-ball, per se.

It took only one week for Tribune to announce they were buying Local TV after the deadline, but there were likely fewer bidders (or perhaps they had been granted it in a formality as the only reasonable bidder) given the higher cost.The cost for Allbritton is likely about half to one-third that of Local TV (even with WJLA).

Most likely if Disney makes an offer for WJLA it is theirs (and that might be announced first), so there would be even more companies open for the remainder (likely cost about $500M or so). This is likely a two-step affair: first, does the mouse play for WJLA? If yes, it is likely theirs. They will have the first move it appears, and that will dictate how the whole thing goes. That would also open up the remaining stations to more potential bidders (such as Journal, Meredith, Nexstar and Raycom, and possibly Gannett). If they pass, then some companies are likely eliminated since they probably cannot afford WJLA - limiting the potential options most likely to Scripps, Hearst, Sinclair and Tribune most likely (since they have the most money available it appears; Gannett as well but that would conflict with WUSA).

The final bids were made Friday, June 21. The APAs were made eight days later on Saturday, the 29th. And the news broke two days after that on Monday, July 1st.

So like GoldenShine9 stated, if ABC makes a bid on WJLA and the buy is right, they will make that APA paperwork fairly quickly and we might hear something by either the end of the week or start of next week. Either way, buy this time next week (and if not earlier or later, give or take), we might hear something.

What I was saying was, you see that the seven ABC O&Os that airs those shows. All of them airs Wheel before primetime. Should the network acquires WJLA, why not fix this inconsistency? Now I've been preaching about longevity and tradition. And if that station had it at the same timeframe for a good chunk of their respective show's runs, then its very hard to debate on changing something that has worked well in their favor. But then I looked at WLS when they moved Jeopardy from 3:30pm to 2:30pm, after being at that timeslot for 28 years to accommodate Katie's new talk show.

All I'm saying is and what I stated earlier above, that if ABC gets it, all they need to do is to switch. Hell, I would suggest that all the stations that air both Wheel & Jeopardy, especially in the Eastern Time Zone to air Wheel at 7:30pm. It's bad that the Central & Mountain stations have to air Jeopardy earlier in the day, before the news, and have Wheel locked at 6:30pm, after the news. I know it wouldn't be fair to the viewers, and it would piss off the folks who are use to seeing Wheel at 7pm. But at least if all the stations air Jeopardy at 7pm, and watches Wheel on the next half hour, that would eliminate the Wheel spoiler alert. You can't eliminate the spoiler alert with Jeopardy if you live in the middle of the country. I mean who watches Jeopardy after TPIR in Dallas on KTVT? Ain't it too damn early? Yes they repeat it at 6pm on KTXA.

But back to ABC. The thing that I see with the station's lineup is the consistency. They have most of their daytime talk shows are in consistent time slot, why not fix the consistency during primetime access on WJLA? And it won't feel right for one station to air the shows differently from the other O&Os. That's the inconsistent pill that's very difficult to swallow. It would be more wise for ABC to switch those shows by placing Wheel as a lead-in to their mediocre primetime schedule, to follow all the stations in pattern, than having an odd-ball, per se.

The final bids were made Friday, June 21. The APAs were made eight days later on Saturday, the 29th. And the news broke two days after that on Monday, July 1st.

So like GoldenShine9 stated, if ABC makes a bid on WJLA and the buy is right, they will make that APA paperwork fairly quickly and we might hear something by either the end of the week or start of next week. Either way, buy this time next week (and if not earlier or later, give or take), we might hear something.

Indeed, it appears that the first clues will be if Mickey Mouse steps in and buys WJLA. If they indeed do, then step 2 begins.

From another article, it appears Hearst and Tribune are the frontrunners if Disney passes. Interestingly, they both have their only legal conflict in the same market (since Tribune would form a legal duopoly in DC). Sinclair is also apparently very interested, as is Nexstar (although they probably cannot afford WJLA and would be in serious conflict with KATV; so I only see them bidding if Disney takes WJLA) and Meredith (an interesting sign they may be a buyer and not a seller). It sounds like Scripps is passing.

WHTM is the station that appears to have the most at stake as they appear at the center of conflicts. Tribune would probably hold onto it with Dreamcatcher's help, while Hearst might make a side deal, since they would be creating a new shell just for one station otherwise.

I read this on the Arkansas TV News blog:

Rumors Abound in Looming Allbritton Sale

Could Nexstar be willing to sale KARK to get its hands on KATV? Well it could be the plan. Days ago NBC execs were in town visiting the station and rumor has it Nexstar could be selling the station so it can get it hands on the Little Rock market leader KATV. KATV along with all other Allbritton tv properties are up for sale and coming on Monday we will find out just who is bidding for the stations. TV Newscheck reports there will likely be two bidders. WJLA/Channel 7/Washington DC will likely be sold separately as it is Allbritton's biggest broadcast property.

TV Newscheck speculates, "Other possible bidders for Allbritton (possibly including WJLA), are Sinclair, Nexstar, Hearst, LIN, Meredith, Raycom, Scripps and Tribune. A key consideration is the duopoly potential in Allbritton's other markets: Birmingham, Ala. (DMA 42), Harrisburg, Pa. (DMA 43), Little Rock, Ark. (DMA 56), Tulsa, Okla. (DMA 59), Roanoke, Va. (DMA 68), and Charleston, S.C. (DMA 98). "

We will have to wait and see, it should be interesting.

I doubt they would sell KARK or anything else even if Nexstar got KATV. I see that becoming - through any mechanism possible - a quintopoly. Not sure how KTHV and Gannett would feel about that; they could either be in glee or in anger, depending on if they view the recent cuts in the quadropoly as being expanded with a 5th station; or if they feel they would be outnumbered 5 to 1.

A KATV/KARK/KLRT quintopoly won't work IMO. KATV's building is old and falling apart and desperately need to renovate the place. Nexstar won't invest that kind of cash. KARK is located in an office complex and while they have rather spacious quarters at the Victory Building, there's only one studio and control room (KARK's and KLRT's sets are literally across from each other and use the same cameras and other equipment; the one studio KARK has is massive). KATV, while I honestly see them going to Sinclair, should go to somebody else, like Hearst, who will invest in the building and station and hopefully reinstate Chopper 7 full-time (they only use it on a per diem basis right now).

I doubt they would sell KARK or anything else even if Nexstar got KATV. I see that becoming - through any mechanism possible - a quintopoly. Not sure how KTHV and Gannett would feel about that; they could either be in glee or in anger, depending on if they view the recent cuts in the quadropoly as being expanded with a 5th station; or if they feel they would be outnumbered 5 to 1.

Nexstar is very proud of KARK. They're in I believe the top market that they own. I don't think they're the "flagship", but that really doesn't mean anything.

Nexstar is very proud of KARK. They're in I believe the top market that they own. I don't think they're the "flagship", but that really doesn't mean anything.

WHAG is technically their "largest" station as it's in the DC market. Their biggest primary affiliate is KTVX in SLC.

A KATV/KARK/KLRT quintopoly won't work IMO. KATV's building is old and falling apart and desperately need to renovate the place. Nexstar won't invest that kind of cash. KARK is located in an office complex and while they have rather spacious quarters at the Victory Building, there's only one studio and control room (KARK's and KLRT's sets are literally across from each other and use the same cameras and other equipment; the one studio KARK has is massive). KATV, while I honestly see them going to Sinclair, should go to somebody else, like Hearst, who will invest in the building and station and hopefully reinstate Chopper 7 full-time (they only use it on a per diem basis right now).

I feel that Nexstar really is getting a lot better with investing money into their stations as of late. I live in a market with a Nexstar owned station, WTAJ. In late January, they threw a big party for going HD and being on the air for 60 years. There are new graphics, a WHOLE new set, a new music package... the whole shebang.

Take a look at WATN. Nexstar reinvented the entire station. In the past, yes, they have been stingy with cash. Could that have been to save up money for stations to go HD? Are they suddenly now having a change of heart? I personally haven't seen anything bad about Nexstar. Though, my choice for Allbritton wouldn't be Nexstar, I know they would be great owners for the group, just not WJLA.

I would want to see the group go to Hearst. Since Allbritton is all ABC, Hearst may enjoy that. Look at all the great ABC stations synonymous with Hearst like WISN, WTAE, et cetera. I understand some of the conflicts for them. I think that they will sell those stations as soon as they can be acquired. Tribune may be interested in WHTM under Dreamcatcher since they already have WPMT. Since Harrisburg and Scranton are relatively close to each other, they could set up some kind of joint newscast or a cable news channel. This of course is all speculative and we'll all find out together I guess.

WHAG is technically their "largest" station as it's in the DC market. Their biggest primary affiliate is KTVX in SLC.

WHAG is a joke. It's a fantastic idea and it's a need... butt's run like a joke and the product, set and everything is a joke.

WHAG is a joke. It's a fantastic idea and it's a need... butt's run like a joke and the product, set and everything is a joke.

No different than any other stations in very small markets. If Hagerstown was a separate market, it would likely be sub-150. Those are typically no more than proving grounds for those entering the business and looking for promotions.

The thing with the "Hagerstown Market" is that Hagerstown is in the Washington DMA, but it covers some of the Altoona/Johnstown DMA, the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster/Lebanon DMA, the Baltimore DMA, the Washington DMA and the Harrisonburg DMA in areas that aren't in the prime coverage area. If Hagerstown were its own market, it would take away from other markets. Altoona would fall from about 98 to about 120. Washington would fall to about 15... et al. Every market needs a WHAG. The Washington stations are too busy covering Washington news to cover stories from Fulton County, Pennsylvania (which is in their DMA). If Hagerstown were its own market, I would be in that market. WHAG is closer to me than what my NBC, Fox and ABC affiliates are.

From the Wall Street Journal (points bolded for emphasis):

The Allbritton deal stands out because WJLA is located in the nation's capital, one of the country's 10 biggest markets, where stations have rarely changed hands in recent years. Several potential buyers, including Hearst and Tribune, have expressed interest specifically in WJLA, with less interest in the other stations, according to people familiar with the matter.

But Allbritton, which is controlled by the Allbritton family, isn't entertaining offers to sell the stations piecemeal, according to people familiar with the matter, partly because it would face a tax liability if it broke up the company, these people said.

Don't expect the company to go piecemeal... Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Tribune or Hearst gets WJLA. They seem to be favorites behind ABC.

From the Wall Street Journal (points bolded for emphasis):

Don't expect the company to go piecemeal... Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Tribune or Hearst gets WJLA. They seem to be favorites behind ABC.

That's a very different tale than the one we've been hearing. If ABC has to buy the other stations to get their hands on WJLA, count them out right now. As we all know, ABC doesn't like buying stations. There's no way they would want to buy stations in Arkansas and South Carolina; even to get to one in DC, and even if they had a place to dump off the smaller stations later on.

I still got my money on ABC/Disney buying WJLA, but worst case scenario, if Sinclair buys WJLA; Not only I'll boycott, but I'll see to it that I'll have the FCC investigate Sinclair once and for all.

If it isn't piecemeal, you can eliminate Sinclair as a buyer out right off the gate. They will not be able to afford the entire group, even with their ridiculous buying habits. If they do pull a massive stupid like Young did buying KRON, then they simply deserve to go under. But they can't be that dumb.

That's a very different tale than the one we've been hearing. If ABC has to buy the other stations to get their hands on WJLA, count them out right now. As we all know, ABC doesn't like buying stations. There's no way they would want to buy stations in Arkansas and South Carolina; even to get to one in DC, and even if they had a place to dump off the smaller stations later on.

If Allbritron is not selling WJLA and NC8 separate from the rest of the group, and is only offering the group as a unified package, then Tribune is my prohibitive favorite. Not only would ABC not want the smaller stations, but why would they want NC8? Cable news channels are not in their M.O. Plus a WJLA/WDCW duopoly - combined with a NC8 retooled to be a Beltway version of CLTV - would make Tribune an instant media power.

In addition, Tribune also can bolster the rest of their mid and small-market portfolio by buying all of Allbritron with only ONE conflict, in Harrisburg. That's it. It's almost another merger of equals, just like LocalTV was. And DC is one of the few large markets where they don't have a major TV news presence.

I still won't rule out Hubbard, either, just for the sake of boosting their profile beyond WTOP.

If indeed Allbritton is seeking to sell the station group as a whole, I don't think that immediately eliminates Disney from contention. The benefits of having an official presence in the DC marketplace would probably far outweigh returning to the mid and small market business. Hearst and Tribune would both have conflicts in the Harrisburg market, but Tribune is probably the likeliest buyer since Hearst hasn't bought a station in so long. It would be interesting to see Meredith bid, because they have literally no ABC stations in its group (though not for lack of trying with their previous bid for McGraw-Hill).

Okay, I'll ask the (obvious?) question: Why would ALbritton face a tax liability if they sold the stations piecemeal?

Also, what's to prevent ABC from buying the whole group and then turning around and selling the stations it doesn't actually want? Or another company (Hearst, for example) from buying the group and selling WJLA to ABC?

If it's all going to go in one deal, then my money's on Sinclair (sorry to say) or Tribune.

Re: Sinclair--if they can get KOMO, they can get WJLA. Plain and simple. They will find a way. Re: Trib -- I don't see the conflict in Harrisburg being a big one. WPMT is a fairly weak FOX affiliate if I'm not mistaken.

I could see Scripps getting in on the action, too.

I want to see a way - any way - Sincla!r can buy all of Allbrittron. WJLA is valued nearly at $1B on its' own... close to what KRON was when the deYoungs put it on the block in 1999. The whole group is far too big a fish for them, and almost completely defies their M.O. of buying mostly small to mid-market stations.

We also are forgetting that ABC still has to give the final blessing on whomever purchases WJLA. Sincla!r could win the bidding, but ABC could turn around and nix the sale of WJLA, effectively killing the whole transaction. And that would be telling if ABC really doesn't mind being on stations like KDNL and WXLV, or not.

Archived